1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Various ESXi questions including running an Active Directory Domain Controller

Discussion in 'Software' started by Chicken76, 7 Oct 2012.

1. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

As I understand it, for iSCSI, bonding NICs won't increase throughput, right? (unless you have each VM on a separate iSCSI target, each target with it's own IP address)

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

DON'T BOND iSCSI!!!!!

Use MPIO instead.

3. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Ehmmm... can you provide any link explaining the whys and hows?

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

6. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

7. saspro

saspro IT monkey

5.1 gives the ability for bigger datastores & smaller block sizes which is good.

Nothing major has changed regarding configuration (I jump between v4.1, v5 & v5.1 without noticing any real changes)

8. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

OK, so NIC bonding is not a good choice for iSCSI. But is it for VM traffic?
    Say I have a machine with 4 NICs. I put 2 NICs on a separate VLAN from the rest of the network, together with the NAS-es that serve iSCSI. Would it be a good idea to bond the other 2 so that the VMs get less congestion? Or should I do MPIO on each VM too?

9. saspro

saspro IT monkey

MPIO for iSCSI, teaming/bonding for VM traffic.

I'm assuming you've got a managed switch connected to this then? You'll need to team/bond the ports on the switch for the VM traffic (& make them trunks) & stick the iSCSI ports in their own vlan as access ports

10. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Yes I have a managed switch. I'll enable LACP on the ports for VM traffic, but why should I make them trunks?

11. saspro

saspro IT monkey

If you're using multiple vlans on your VM network then they need to be trunks (you'll also need a router but that's another matter)

12. CraigWatson

CraigWatson Level Chuck Norris

AFAIK you shouldn't need to trunk them on the switch, I've hooked up teamed NICs to non-trunked ports before and it's worked perfectly :)

Also you can separate the VLANs on a vSwitch and get vSphere to do the routing :)

Edit: a bit more detail. Enable VLAN tagging on your physical switch ports that the host is plugged into, then create a single vSwitch. From there, create two Virtual Machine Port Groups with the VLAN tag numbers you need, and attach the VMs to those port groups - vSphere will handle the VLAN tagging/untagging and effectively hand the VM an untagged port to its vNIC.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2012
  13. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

The bonded ports for VM traffic don't need to be part of multiple VLANs, so trunking shouldn't be necessary, right?

Edit: Just a clarification: I don't use VLANs now, but when everything will be setup, I'm thinking of moving the NASes that handle iSCSI and the NICs that will handle iSCSI on the ESXi host to a separate VLAN to spare them of all the broadcast chatter from the main network.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2012
  14. saspro

saspro IT monkey

You don't need trunks if you're not running multiple vlan's out to an external network.

I always have to as I'm running environments that need it, we have combinations of multiple customers running on one setup & things like IP phones running on virtualised PBX's so vlans are compulsory for us. Therefore I always do it on training labs etc I set up as I need my engineers to be able to work on our production setups (we have our vsphere training lab connected up to our Cisco lab)

If it's a small flat setup then you'll be fine without vlans

15. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

It will be a small business setup. One ESXi host to start, running 1 Windows Server and 1 Linux Server. Storage will be on iSCSI exclusively.

16. saspro

saspro IT monkey

In that case make sure you've got a very good backup in place (at the esxi level).

Personally I never use a single host on a site, always clusters.

17. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

What do you mean by "backup at ESXi level"? Backing up the .vmx vmdk etc.?
    Veeam is capable of this, isn't it? Is the ability to backup a running VM available in the free version?

In the beginning there will be only one host, but others will follow.

18. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Veeam is exactly what I use for backups.
    For lab use there's a free full version, if not you have to pay for the good version.
    Vmware's own backup program you can install isn't too bad for free.

19. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Is the limited free version available for commercial use? (haven't found this specified on their site)

20. saspro

saspro IT monkey

The free version only supports manual backup. To schedule them you need a paid for version