1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Windows 8: Performance Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 26 Oct 2012.

1. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Seriously! You're completely put off by the fact that the option to disable metro isn't provided by Microsoft?!!!

So regardless of the fact that is does EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT IT TO, it's not from Microsoft so it doesn't count.

You don't have a point. You think the fact that it has be a built in option matters, but it doesn't. At the end of the day, it does what you want it to. I don't believe that if the option was offered by Microsoft that your stance would be any different. If your desire was to actually get rid of metro, then you would happily take the wonderful application that I linked to, and use it.

Windows doesn't have any sort of built in bandwidth limiting. Netlimiter is my savior. Well, it's not built into the OS so I better avoid it and wait for Microsofts own iteration.... Still nothing? I'm sure it will come along any minute now. I mean I suppose I could actually focus on fixing the problem and get the software.

See what I'm getting at? Don't like Metro? Disable it. Don't want to count the app because it's not built in? Then just shutup.

No I understand. The fact that there isn't a built in option is dumb. I don't know why there didn't put it in there. But it's a moot point because with one simple click, you can disable it, you just need to install this simple application.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2012
  2. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

I had Windows 8 beta installed as a 2nd boot option on my work laptop which is nix based.

I never really used it in a main OS scenario.

I finally got it installed on my main system and I have to say without a doubt it is frickin awesome.

While it does not have the huge leap in terms of quality that Vista to 7 had. It has added enough small touches to make working considerably smoother and faster.

For example the right click on the start menu to get up all the admin properties, sure it is not revolutionary but it's just so much more convenient.

Also things like the desktop dragging to tiles and general management of the desktop feels incredibly clean.

For £25 digital download or £50 retail, unless there is a specific application that doesn't work with it I really can't see the point in not upgrading.

I'm tempted to add a touch screen to my setup, do they make a 30" touch screen?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: 31 Oct 2012
  3. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Backtrack a bit and see why I wrote what I wrote.
    RichCreedy mentioned that one of the reasons Microsoft removed Start Menu was that it was not widely used, I made the remark that Microsoft replaced StartMenu by the StartScreen, and that new Start Screen would be a huge success since Microsoft offered no alternative. You then made the comment that "metro ui"can be disabled, sure it can but not using a Microsoft sponsored solution.
    Thats the all point, Microsoft doesnt want to offer an alternative to the Start Screen even if third parties are offering alternatives with some degree of success.
    Over the weekend I used two machines with Windows 8, one was a laptop with ViStart* and the other was a desktop with Start8. Even if both were running the same OS the experience is different because there was no identical "Start-thing". Had Microsoft offered an alternative to StartScreen (the now classical W7 StartMenu) the expperience would have been identical.

*- Or was it Classic Shell? Cant remember.

Last edited: 31 Oct 2012
  4. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I don't really care that microsoft doesn't want there to be an option because people made one.

5. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    "People" made several.

6. rv88uk

rv88uk What's a Dremel?

The fact that these alternatives are so popular though (unless it is just a vocal minority) strongly suggests some people still want a start menu, so why would microsoft remove it? I don't like feeling forced to use my computer in a particular way and in making this decision microsoft is doing exactly that. It would have been better to provide it as an option first to at least quell the criticism if anything, let people try it on there own terms and win 8 would probably have a much better reception (quite a few reviews seem to say they 'forced themselves' to use it and came to like it, how many home users will be willing to put in the same effort).

There's also an issue if work/office (or in my case university) computers start using windows 8. It's fine to install an alternative start menu at home but there's no chance they'll be doing it in the workplace.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I installed Windows 8 yesterday (looks nice on a 30" TFT) and I really don't see the problem. I mean, you invoke the Start Screen by clicking your mouse in the lower left corner, right where the Start button used to be. So nothing has really changed there. You can still put shortcut icons on the desktop. You can still use RocketDock, CircleDock, various Start Menu plug-ins or any of the thousands of other mods that are out there for Windows. I mean, it's Windows. And we are geeks. If you can't find a satisfactory way to get Windows 8 to behave exactly as you want, who are you and what are you doing on these forums, stranger?

8. DbD

DbD Minimodder

You mean make it look like windows 7? The alternative is to just use windows 7 which works fine unless you need the touch screen stuff.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That is also an excellent alternative. :) Second-hand computer shops should be stacking up with cheap Windows 7 licences soon as people hop on the Windows 8 train. Everybody happy.

10. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

Exceed what I need it for. and with a drop in nvidia performance, hell no for gaming!

Tags: Add Tags