1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays using a tv as a monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wiby645, 31 Oct 2012.

1. wiby645

wiby645 Minimodder

are there any advantages/dis advances of this?
    at the minute i have a normal led 22" monitor, however i want to hook up my ps3.
    it is possible to do it but i will need a whole host of cables and audio adapters. if i had a tv i could use the pc input for monitor use and hdmi for ps3+sound.

i would be looking at a 22" or 24" with a 1920x1080 display, so no issues (hopefully) with the monitor side of it.

just wondering if anyone has done this or can give me a few tips on the setup

2. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I use a 32" TV for hooking up my laptop when gaming from time to time. My friend also has his PC hooked up to his 50" TV. Generally your limited to 1080p but you get built in speakers. TV is really a monitor with a tuner in it.

At that sound is the issue. Best way to go is HDMI. Most modern GPU's can carry the sound over PCI through HDMI but failing that then you need external speakers.

3. Strudul

Strudul ~

I use my 32" TV as my primary monitor.

Works fine...

4. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I have no idea how people use TV's as monitors on desks, the picture quality is so bad! I used my TV for gaming from my PC but I sat the appropriate distance away from the screen.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

COOL! Me too!
    [​IMG]
    What you mean:
    [​IMG]

Ok to answer your question...

Ups:
    -> It's big, if you are far away form the screen, you can see everything nicely
    -> You have multiple inputs, unless you have have a monitor like the Dell U2410, U3011 or U2710, which on all of these you have possibly more input than most TV's.

Down:
    -> Low resolution for the size. 1080p for a 40inch TV is way too big, 23inch is fine, if you are up close.
    -> Difficult to read text, large pixels, large distance between pixels, and
    the built-in circuitry system of the TV isn't designed to display small text, and be viewed up close.
    -> TV are designed for watch TV, and movies. No show pictures, or text. So colors will be all wrong.

What is your current monitor?

It is possible to do, but it will depends on how you set it up, and what you want. If you use the TV as a monitor, and you have a PS3 and using the TV speakers for the PS3, and computer speakers for the computer, than all you need is nothing or 1 or 2 cables, depending on what you have now.

I am confused, so now you just want a side monitor, liek a dual screen setup, but one only for the PS3? Please clarify.

just wondering if anyone has done this or can give me a few tips on the setup[/QUOTE]

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I agree. Already a 27inch monitor with a 1920x1080 resolution, is terrible.

7. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

My primary rig is plugged into my 40" samsung tv but I sit 6 feet away on the couch with wireless mouse/keyboard (for gaming I keep the mouse but have a wired microsoft sidewinder x4 to match the x8 mouse)

At this distance it is fine, text is ok provided you go through the calibration settings/adjust size to medium maybe and for colours, do the same using windows built in settings.

Set you browser to show everything at 150% and you're good :thumb:

Many people do this for htpc so why not your gaming rig.

My sound goes via optical toslink to an onkyo surround sound set-up.

8. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

been using my 40incher for 2 years. just got a ips panel and cant believe how much difference there is. colours definition etc