1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Football Manager 2013

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 1 Nov 2012.

1. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Can't see a dedicated thread for this, so thought I would add one...

Decided to take the reigns of Scunthorpe United and England. I am currently having mixed fortunes with Scunny languishing second bottom of league one after four games (2 losses, two draws). Finances are tight and my squad is small - I am having to utilise the youth team to make up the numbers. Trying to get players in before the transfer deadline was tough as even the untried or out of contract players were asking for too much!

My fortunes with England are faring slightly better. After an initial disappointing 3-1 defeat to Italy in a friendly I changed things slightly. The press were very unkind after I stated that Rio Ferdinand's England career was over and after drafting in the England legend David Beckham to add some class to the right hand side. They were also perplexed by my inclusion of Celtic forward Gary Hooper at the expense of Red Dwarf's 'Cat' (OK, Danny Welbeck). No turnip heads in the papers but I was left feeling more than a little abused. Typically, they were quick to sing my praises after my re-shaped team beat Poland 5-0 in the first of the WC qualifiers with David Beckham putting in a man of the match performance with one goal and four assists.

Strangely after my appointment to the England job, some quarters of the press were worried that my dual role as Scunthorpe manager may cause me to give preference to Scunthorpe players in the England squad! So far I have resisted the temptation of bringing in Sam Slocombe for Joe Hart - but the season is yet young...

It's a funny old game.

2. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

I've been playing the beta using the new classic mode. Don't really like it, but something to tide me over until the full game comes out in 7 hours or so. I don't like starting a new game on the demo as I fear I'll miss something when the full game is released.

I always start my 1st career with Rangers since I support them, should be interesting to see how I get on this time...

I'm liking the new Steam integration for network games, I usually had issues with it in the past but hopefully this can bring a bit of stability to it all.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Got 2 games going

Barcelona / spain (Got offered spanish job when del boy retired ) in full sim mode into 2016 won 3 x back to back champions leagues game is fun still though get some really wierd results. Beat real madrid 6-0 away and lost 5-0 at home with the exact same team lol. Aint one the spanish cup yet either get beat by second devision sides awesomeness lol.

In Classic mode did 2 challanges

Arsenal for unbeatable
    Newcastle for relegation fodder

Also got a Classic game as wolves sit top of championship after 24 games.

All Beta saves transfer to full game. So play to your hearts content.

Classic game is speed mode can go through a season in about 2 hrs if you just spam quick result it seems i miss the interaction that full sim mode gives so tend not to play it much

4. Yorkie

Yorkie Minimodder

Started a career with my Local team, Bradford City, unfortunately my personal preference for signing an Italian keeper has resulted in some bizarre goal keeping efforts, meaning I am not doing too well, which I hope will be solved in the main release :p

So now waiting for the full release before I play again

5. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I'm starting to feel sorry for Alan Knill now if this is what he had to put up with! In classic FM style, I managed to sign a right-back just now who then proceeded to break his leg in training and is now out for the rest of the season....

6. Yorkie

Yorkie Minimodder

Better than me signing a player who couldn't get a work permit :/

7. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

Downloaded the Beta as soon as it became available. Played a season as Manchester United. Ended up finishing second in the league and getting knocked out of all the cups, currently in preseason with that game.

Have also started a game as Rangers and seems to be going well won my first 3 games and got players some oldy but goody players on free transfer to bolster the squad slightly. Will continue with that game for a while before going back to my United save.

My general opinion of it so far has been really good. I've come from FM11 so a lot of it is very new but as with all new FM once you get used to it, it's all good :). I've had a dabble in classic mode but too much is cut for my liking so will continue with the full game, and just pass various responsibilities off onto my staff.

8. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I haven't really played since it was Championship Manager. I did dabble in the online version but this is my first outing for a while. Enjoying the depth and the detail so far!

9. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

I wanna buy this although I saw some people saying the match simulation is a bit wonky and defenders don't defend etc. But I still want to buy it asap, these games are always incredibly absorbing.

10. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

If you love FM, get over to the SI forums, it's an awesome community.

....If you're already on the SI forums...then yes, I am THAT FuSS ;)

11. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I like to start with a team in the bottom division as well.:p

12. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Well the transfer embargo is on but I managed to sign Jari Litmanen. He's still a hero at 41 years old, he does this every other week!

13. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I love FM, only I never play it properly, I always go on holiday and skip the games... I just like the admin!

14. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

I get very much the same results but from Lee Bowyer!

15. rollo

rollo Modder

fm classic save as wolves won the fa cup vs man united 1-0 gotta be the funniest match of all time they had about 10 chances where it said he must score.

for been promoted and getting in europe i get a transfer budget of 2mil lol. Survival here we come.

16. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I should sign you up as general manager so I can concentrate on being team manager!

17. rollo

rollo Modder

zin in classic mode you can spam instant result and not have to go on holiday, does the same thing. Works for me on my none main save. got a full sim as barce that will last probably till fm2014.

got a real madrid classic save
    wolves classic save
    and newcastle classic save

Will probably take a none league side to the prem on classic game as my next one.

18. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Gutted! Just got sacked after ten games in charge of Scunthorpe. OK, so I drew 5 and lost 5, but I expected a bit more time. Due to transfer budget, unrealistic expectations from potential signings and a mass of injuries I was pretty much playing with the youth team anyway.

I still have the England job thankfully - two wins out of two in the World Cup qualifiers has kept me safe.

I don't know what to do now - should I concentrate on the England job or do I prove Steve Wharton wrong and take on another club?

Ten games? Chairmen are so impatient...

19. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

Rangers game is going well. 11 points ahead with 12 to play, only lost 1 all season.

One thing that is annoying me is bizarre expectation in cup games. The bookies always back me to win cup games, even when I'm playing SPL teams and my assistant does too.

I know I'm Rangers but I'm in the 3rd Division and shouldn't be expected to win against SPL clubs surely?

20. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I think Ally McCoist might agree with you there!