1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Omega Desk - [26 January] Project Complete!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Squigly, 20 May 2012.

?

Pump orientation, facing forward or facing backwards?

1. Pumps facing backward

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. Pumps facing forward

19 vote(s)
    55.9%
  1. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Loving all this water cooling design and the use of copper piping :thumb:

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

The HDD mounts are nice & different, somehow skipped mentioning them on my last comment. :blush::D

Only improvement I could suggest is use some vibration killing material between the clamping plate & the mount, HDD vibes can be a bit annoying resonating through the whole structure. :D

3. Squigly

Squigly MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Thanks Waynio, was happy how they turned out

Thanks Kovoet, nearly there :rock:

Thanks Kosovar :thumb:

Thanks riek, took a while to get it all right, but finally there

sound advice.. get it :naughty: lolz, no really good call on that one, will be sure to add some rubber below the mounts

4. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Are you using SSD or HDD? I have read that HDD either have to be vertical or horizontal they don't like being set at an angle and it will kill them.

5. Squigly

Those mounts are for the HDD's. I have checked into it and it seems drives these days, or at least for a while can pretty much be mounted as you please. Even got a response from manufacturer claiming "90 degrees preferred, but diagonal OK.". So will give it a try.. I will also use SSD's for the system drives, first shots of the mounts for those are shown it today's update.

So still waiting for the hinges so just spent some time doing a few arb things this weekend, cleaning up and what not..

Started off with the power distribution box, expanded some holes on some vero board.
    [​IMG]

will be going through the same steps as the fan distribution board i made before.. filled the extra holes with some epoxy
    [​IMG]

cleaned off the board
    [​IMG]

once over with a black marker
    [​IMG]

then soldered in all the cables, the single cable connects to the power port in the leg and then splits that out 4 ways, 1 to the PSU, the other 3 for the screens
    [​IMG]

then made up the last standoff plate I didn't finish last week
    [​IMG]

got it mounted up
    [​IMG]

this is basically between the drives, there will be the 2 HDD's and 3 SSD's in raid
    [​IMG]

first shot of the SSD mount, this is UV blue acrylic, glows really nice, there will be a single drive in the middle below the acrylic, and then 2 on either end on top of it.. well at least for now..
    [​IMG]

otherwise just lots of sanding and prepping for the powder coating, really hope the hinge arrives soon so i can get the frame and glass done and then get it coated..

I also didn't get a chance to get the pipes nickle coated this past week as work was madness, but will hopefully get that done this coming week.

Thanks for checkin in

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Progress in the right direction, always a good thing. :D:rock:

7. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

Nice you starting with the sanding :p good luck with that. looking forward to the results.

8. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Awesome work coming together nicely :thumb:

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

If you're keeping that M4E in there can I put this on ROG site when you're done? :D

10. Squigly

Thanks Waynio :thumb: your right, any progress is good progress

lolz.. yea my hands and wrist's would beg to differ :lol:

Thanks bluc, so close to the end its frustrating having to wait for these parts... *reminds himself to get a T-shirt that says "instant gratification takes to long..."*

Yup the M4E will most certainly be going into the final build, and I would be more than happy to have this go up on ROG :thumb::rock:

11. Squigly

I know my arse has been slack on updates, I took a 2 week break from the desk to recharge and i was also waiting for the hinges i have ordered from China, they still have not arrived but decided to draw them up in sketchup to test and make sure they would work... they wont... :wallbash: .. so i found some locally that would, managed to pick them up and get the mounting sorted on the desk, nothing major but it was really the last thing to finish off

So these are the hinges, it means I will need to have holes drilled into the glass for these whereas the others didn't require it
    [​IMG]

I couldnt use the standard mounting mechanism as these are glass door hinges and since i am mounting them sideways i needed to make my own, so design and cut out the sections
    [​IMG]

Welded them up and then measured, re measure, doubled checked.. and finally welded them onto the frame
    [​IMG]

I had also slotted them so i can adjust the height of the pin that goes into the actual hinge
    [​IMG]

As you can see the frame was compleatly stripped down :) everything was packed up ready to go to powder coating.. finally!!! Unfortunately due to some roadworks the power coating place had their power lines cut by the muppets doing the roadworks, so am really hoping that it will be done by this weekend... but there is a chance I will need to wait.

So have kept myself busy making a few more circuit boards for power distribution(no pics soz) so that should tidy up the cable management some, i also sprayed the IO plate, i decided to cover some of the plexi leaving a thin strip that will be lite up with blue LED's so here's a sneak peak
    [​IMG]

Hopefully a proper update coming this weekend...

12. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Nice work:thumbup: hope I am not being rude but whats it going to cost to powdercoat? Damm i hate tablet auto correction

Sent from my Full Android on Grouper using Tapatalk 2

13. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

Typical for the nubs working on the roads. As well as one or two guys actually doing the work and the other 10 standing by just watching...:grr:

But finally and update :D unlucky on the hinges though.
    Let the wait begin until the next update :p

14. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Nice,I can't wait to se it powder coated. :)

15. Squigly

Thanks guys, well it finally went for powder today only so will be during next week, I also need to get my arse to the nickel coaters for all the copper, glass was ordered this past week so that should also arrive next week sometime.. coming together..

So a small update, kinda..

Been keeping busy with making all my power cables and making sure it will all be ready for final assembly :rock:

I have also been doing a bit of painting on the waterblocks, i wanted the logo's to pop a little more as the backplates did when i sanded them down so got some silver / chrome paint
    the before:
    [​IMG]

and after:
    [​IMG]

A little cleanup still required but getting there.. Apart from that we had a local online store decide to have a black friday sale... i couldn't resist getting myself some goodies :D

was also really happy the delivered today already
    [​IMG]

so whats in the box :confused:
    [​IMG]

3 new IPS monitors, decided not to make my own frames but rather get 3 of the same monitor with nice slim bezels already..
    [​IMG]

and just couldn't resist setting them up on the current rig, my first IPS panels.. and i have to admit.. very, very nice!!!
    [​IMG]

So alas another week to wait till i get everything back from coaters and what not.. hoping next weekend to get stuck into the actual build :rock:

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Very shaaawiiiing :D:rock:

I have no idea what gaming or just basic computer operating would be like on multi screen but I imagine my head would need to turn more & some people say about feeling sick from normal setup on some games, guess they'd actually be sick using multi screen lol. :D

Can't wait to see it coloured in Squig & the highlights you done on the block looks nice. :)

17. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Very cool idea with the logo man, I'm looking forward to see it all powercoated and put together after all this time :)
    I'm very jealous of those monitors you got!

18. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Wondering what happened to the custom made monitor shrouds did that idea get canned?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

19. Squigly

Thanks Waynio, much appreciated bud!! I have used multi screen for years, well normally dual monitor at least on my work machine, in fact I am so accustomed to it that I battle with a single screen, this has been my first multi screen gaming system and I had 3 screens before the new ones, and I feel pretty much the same, going back to a single screen is just nasty :rock:

Thanks Blade, have cleaned up the logo some so will take some new snaps of that soon

I may re-visit the idea sometime, but with my previous screens they were 3 different monitors so it made it difficult to make up the covers and make them look uniform with all the clearances being different, so for the moment on the backburner... you know the mod bug.. it never leaves you alone for long...

EDIT:
    As said, updated pic of the logo's after cleanup
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Nov 2012
  20. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

Looks pretty :D And I am super jelly of those monitors...one day, one day I will have some of my own....