1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Tenuis

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Gtek, 19 Sep 2012.

1. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

If thats the case then the conversion could be relatively simple (assuming you have a bedded CNC like most DIY people make). Though I would imagine you might get a cleaner cut with laser over plasma (or that was the case in my professional experience). The other option you could take is investigating water jet cutting. I haven't put a ton of time into researching it, but I know the quality of cut can be top notch.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

On your site it lists it as a product - how much?

Could you make it a bit wider so I can fit a PCIe card in? A short PCB GTX 670 would be perfect ;)

3. Gtek

Gtek Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

hey Bindi

280 GBP including fans and DVD slot loader. There is no need to make it wider as Tenuis is designed to take PCI express card via 90 degree raiser (which I can supply). GTX 670 pcb will fit in.

however I'm not going to make any more of hand build versions, as I just cannot keep up with orders (I can still make one for you). Major part will by fabricated by contractor in future, but I don't now exactly how much will it cost yet.

4. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

Incredible! I like it very much. Can you give us some pics of the inside with the components installed?
    How difficult was the wiring - did you have to use wiring extensions?
    Do you have internal USB ports for wireless dongles (keyboard, mouse, etc)?
    I really like the stealthed drive and the hidden ports - well done!

5. Rgart

Rgart What's a Dremel?

It's very nice...

And i decided to inspire to your project :D

I don't need of dvd player and don't put the botton and I/O in the top of tower for simplify the project but if you want you can give us a foto of the joint between wood and steal in the lateral face...

[​IMG]

I don't understand how did you do it... :D

6. Gtek

sorry for late reply.

Thanks! I will post new set of photos, including internals soon. hopefully :D

Thank you. There is no wood on that photo, it's just aluminium chassis, but if you ask how I joined wood to alu, answer is that i simply glued it together, using Rhinobond. It's a PU adhesive, and it's really reliable from my experience. Here is a test bond, 5mm walnut + 5mm alu. It's almost impossible to separate them without using brute force, that would most likely destroy at least one of them :D. No chance wood panels falling off Tenuis or something :D

[​IMG]

7. Gtek

Hi all. I took some fresh photos of another Tenuis, so I thought I could share them :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

abezors likes this.
  8. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

SO MUCH GORGEOUS! :jawdrop:

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Veeeeeeerrrrry nice. :):clap:

Didn't know about the slide out piece for IO access, nice. :D

10. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Ooo I feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside when I see this :)

11. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

OK, so this may be some kind of design sacrilege but if you scaled the dimensions slightly to fit a micro-atx mobo, such as a nice asus gene 5. You could totally put a watercooling loop in there and have a sexy gaming rig. :D

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

In some of those shots it looks so good its almost a render

13. Gtek

Thanks man :thumb:

\

Thank you Wayne. I need to take a pick of the mechanism behind it one day :D

Thanks Nate :thumb:

Yeah, some people asked me for microATX version, but... I'm working on completely new design for microATX system, so...

Thanks. Good to hear, because I'm rubbish photographer :D

14. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

Incredible, I had not seen this until the MOTY nominations (you got my vote of couse!).

I was just going to see if you were selling these pieces, then saw plenty of discussion here already. IMHO £280 odd is a great price for something this well crafted that would likely last upwards of 10 or 20 years in a house before looking outdated. Have you tried different wood types? Black stained oak is a personal favourite (but perhaps all-black would be a bit much).

If you were looking to go public and sell multiple numbers of these I would suggest approaching a high-end audio store such as one of the Bang & Olufsen franchises (or maybe somewhere like Richersounds), as this is the kind of thing that would appeal to these customers. These shops often like having interesting window displays...

Stunning.

15. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I've voted this for MOTY, so elegant, well done.

You could build and sell the barebones cases, I reckon the demand on this forum would be very high if you came up with an easier to build/slightly dumbed down version!

16. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

A kit for buyer to assemble? Good idea, potentially cheaper too.

17. Gtek

Thanks guys!

Different woods, I can do mahagony, but I don't really like that wood. Black stained oak is very nice, maybe with combination with silver, or polished alu, but I would have to find supplier who can do 5mm thick boards... cheap.

When It comes to other variations of Tenuis and other form factors, I'm working on 34mm thin-ITX version with options of i3, i5, i7 desktop chips and up to 16GB 1600 memory, as I see a lot of potential in this new form factor. other than that... miniITX desktop/barebone version? I don't
    know... maybe :D

Self assembly. Would be possible if there was no wood :)

18. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Obviously Tenuis 2 has been built since...are we likely to see any more of the Tenuis available? Did you have any luck out-sourcing to build more? I'd still love one of the originals!

19. G-force

G-force What's a Dremel?

I actually like this original version better than the Tenuis 2. Stupid yes, but somehow the thickness and girth of the original feel more "powerful" and more strong for such a tall tower. Such a great build, both of them, but I prefer this one. Again, both are fantastic engineering mixed with decorate elegance. Very well done.

EDIT: I just realized. I think its the NES / famicom thing all over again. Americans like bigger cases to feel like they get a more robust/better product. It's all I can come up with.

Last edited: 22 Jul 2013
  20. iSw3de

iSw3de What's a Dremel?

I think it is time to revive this thread and look at those pictures again, What a case!