1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Faster Than Light - FTL

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by will_123, 19 Sep 2012.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I've just beaten the big honking boss, the key is having full shields, good dodge and a drone to take up some slack.

That was on easy, I might add. One thing that's really made a difference was having a hull repair drone and the scrap recovery arm - it means you can use the drones instead of eating scrap, and when you do find some there's more. That way you can spend huge amounts on upgrades.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I had 45% dodge and 3 shields but no drone :(

3. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I've played it on easy. Usually I can make it to the boss but i usually die by the third fight with it because I can't get repaired before it reaches the fleet.
    Makes me wonder though, me one ship. fleet, a fleet. I can almost kill it but they cant? um...

Anyway, I always target enemy weapons. Once I have 2 guns weapons and shields. 3 weapons, weapons shields and whatever else they have that will help me the most.
    The key is not getting hit. Early on in the game you can save up scrap. that way to upgrade the shields later on so that you can survive the first attack from whatever. Then cripple their ship so that later attacks cant hurt you.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Sounds like I was really lucky with mine - full spec was 2x burst laser II's, the standard missile launcher and a single anti-ship drone. 4 shields, 4 engine and a good crew and tbh, it was easy. Keep up with the damage dealt by its missiles and it's not too bad (need 5+ crew though, one for each system.

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

oh god thats one hell of a lucky run.

6. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

I checked this, its not really much info. Just a hint as to whats involved.

I had a proper shot at the boss the other day, it was crystal ship, standard weapons + glag beam thing, and a missile launcher that fired 2 missiles at cost of one ammo. I put everything onto that cloak! An slowly started targetting the weapons with my missiles when they cloak was down, seemed to work :)

Then he Warps off.....ummm ok.

Next battle the drones......OMG overload!!!! splat dead........

Jesus he is hard!

7. jifbo

jifbo What's a Dremel?

I always end up running out of missiles just as I need them to disable the shields... I've beaten the first stage but never beaten the drones.

Cloak would help dodge them, but the next time I still got hit. They slowly but surely removed my hull...

Any tips?

8. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

So I have been getting quite far in the second ship.

Each time I have done well its because of strong shields, ion to disable their weapons and shields, and then drones to deliver the damage. My problem here is enemy drones. If its only one or two drones this is fine, but on encounters with lots of drones (such as the final boss) this is a bit more taxing.

I think teleporting more men into the drones room will be useful next time :)

I cant play the third ship for ****, everytime I try it gets blown to bits by the first few things I come across as it has no shields :S

9. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

A good way to help with attack drones is to have multiple level shields with a crew on the shield console.

I just lost my last game because I answered the phone and left the oxygen off after it was repaired :(

In this game there is getting to the end, and getting to the end in a shape that can take on the final stage. I think to achieve the later you have to find a good weapon or two. Generally, I think weapons are over-priced.

10. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Can you put more than one crew member on the shields? Otherwise I always have crew on all key systems, I think having a big crew is pretty important, especially as you can send boarding teams of the insect men over to rape everything.

11. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

No, but keeping an extra in the room means they can repair much quicker.

I always name my crewman at the start for the position i want them.

I hate how sometimes in the Ion/Plasma Storms when you have less reactor, the computer decides that it will disable the O2, but leave the medibay up and running! I would have thought the O2 would be the most important one NOT to take off.

I understand you need to tailor it to what you want but i would have said O2 should be made the keep on at all costs one.

12. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Nooooooooooooo just had the best EVER game!

Sheilds at 3.5 (almost full)
    Weapons - 2xIonblaster IIs (online) and a Burst laser I
    Drones - 2xAnti Ship drones I and a Defence Drone I (2 online at once)
    Engines - full bar 2 units.
    Power- Full

5 crewman

Still had loads of scrap and stuff and i was a full system away from boss yet!

My PC crashed....wiped the save..........

13. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

The more and more I play this the more I think its just a bad game - its so ****ing annoying that you can do absolutely everything right, then just be stumbling upon a sun, because you havent had the randomized opportunity of finding scanners yet, you get completely arse raped. Or you havent had any opportunity to pick up extra people and then /three/ mantis, badass fighters, board your ship.

Its just so /random/ that the element of skill in getting to the end seems minimal - not really sure that counts as being a good game.

14. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

I had similar thoughts about this game. When I finished it, it gave me a sense of accomplishment a game hadn't given me since the 90's, so I have fond memories of it. Having said that, I haven't played it since I finished it. I dont't think there is good reason to experience the frustration again without the goal.

I have a lot of ideas on what works in this game and what doesn't. I can share if you want, but I'll leave it up to you.

15. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

No im fairly happy with how to do it, the problem for me is /always/ random encounters along the way - if you are in a ship with poor fire defense for example then suns are a bitch and 90% of the time finish me off. If you are on a ship which has had little luck finding crew and get boarded by three mantis, then again you are screwed.

Im glad they now show all paths from each node because I kept getting stuck in a position where for no reason I had to travel half way back round the map just to get to a node not very far from where I am!

Ive completed it on easy, and im glad that i have - but ive been in much stronger ships than the one I finished it in and they all just got finished by randomness, which doesnt seem right.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I'm completely with you. It's not about discovery of different areas and learning and tweaking how you play to get the 'right' result, it's about being lucky to have everything you need.

17. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

Its about both. Once you get to the skill ceiling you stop seeing the skill you have in the game and notice the luck.

On another note. Does anyone think the game scales with the quality of your ship? I've had some ships that were not being touched by anything then one Mantis Bomber with 4 shields comes along and wipes me out without giving me a chance. Funny as I had never seen anything like that before, and it only came when I had a REALLY good ship. I would actually say that ship was about as tough as the boss.

18. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

And again, good ship, ive been working hard to hit all the shops - got some nice additions to my ship, made some mistakes but generally going ok...

UNTIL I HAPPEN TO LAND IN A SUN SECTOR WITH 3 ROCK PEOPLE WHO BOARD MY SHIP OMFG.

*rage*

19. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

What did you try when the rock people boarded?

20. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

I tried sending people in to fight, its all I could do because there was no way I could deoxygen them fast enough, I had no weapons which could light a fire on my own ship and my doors werent holding long enough for any of that anyway.

Anyway - it all just happened again, rebels caught up, which I expected, so thats fine - but then omg wtf 3 things beam on board right on top of my FTL drive and navigation, so no chance to run away, no chance of deoxygening, not enough good fighting crew members to beat them off. Fantastic - I dont know why I still play it, it only stresses me out :<