1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Which HDD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrDomRocks, 12 Nov 2012.

1. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Hey guys, Ok a little background for the HDD's use. It will exclusively be used for Video Recording/Editing. I have a 1tb drive currently but it gets full rather quickly. I am wanting to expand my storage.

My current drive is a Sata 3, and am considering Raiding my existing HDD with a new one.

What I wonder which HDD is the best. Was thinking a WD Black 2tb+

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

WD Black is kind of pricey, but if you feel you need it, it's a good hard drive.

I only buy low RPM drives for storage now, less noise and everything important is on an SSD anyway.

3. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I am after reliable read/write speeds, noise is an issue for me to be honest.

This will be part of a large order. Need to replace my current headset as the Mic has died. two months into owning it.

4. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

You're going to need at least three new drives for RAID5. Or were you thinking of JBOD?

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

He was thinking of RAIDing new drives with his existing one, so he'll need 2 drives for RAID5. He may be using 1 or 0 though. He didn't say WHY he was thinking of RAID. It may be speed he's after, or mirroring.

6. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Ah... But he was looking for 2TB drives, while the drive he already has is 1TB. That won't work very well.

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

You're right. If he uses his 1TB then the 2TB drives will only be using 1TB of their capacity.

YEHBABY likes this.
  8. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

To be honest it was ease of access waiting to a single drive rather than multiple drives.

To raid the two drives need to be the same capacity?

9. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

They dont, but if you have different sizes, it will only use the lowest size, unless you use JBOD.

Also if you buy the super fast black drive and pair it with a slower disk, the faster drive will only perform at the slower speed.

10. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Ok, I will simply use my current drive for static storage and my new drive for video.