1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress GET A LIFE - COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Gnu, 17 Nov 2010.

1. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Hehe yeah, that would be something, I could need some tutoring on my woodworking skillz.

The retro gaming thingy is purely for myself, my life will have to stay at home..lol. But next year maybe :)

Thanks mate. Yeah the Big N would be something indeed, I can only dream :thumb:

Im honored.. thanks:thumb:

yassarikhan786 likes this.
  2. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Absolutely stunning work mate, it's been a joy to watch this from start to finish. Well done. +rep

3. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks oz boy:thumb:

A mini update this time.
    After shortening the ps3 controller pcb, I started making it thinner aswell. I had to desolder the battery connector and the reset button and replace them with cables
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was the Nes controller pcb.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since the space in the controller will be very limited, because of an extra ps3 controller pcb, I had to remove as much unused area as possible. But I still need most of the tracks for the buttons.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finetuning the pcb pins on the casing to get some more space
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

See ya

4. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Niiiiiiiiiiice. I can't wait to see it working :).

Did you consider modding one of this awesome NES arcarde stick ? I had one one my NES and it is a great pleasure to play with it.

[​IMG]

EDIT : And since you're almost done ..... here are nice additions

Retro joypad modded to be connected onto USB port (and small circuitery to DIY) :

http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=52cb780c9dbab18ee4296333b64919e8

Mario 8bits Fridge level magnets : http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=75

.... or a Nes Advantage arcade stick modded into a lamp

[​IMG]

Last edited: 2 May 2012
  5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Crazy extensive pad modding :D awesome stuff Gnu, it's 1 of the many sections of modding I feel out of my depth so I don't mess with things I don't understand in the slightest :blush: but love seeing it in progress. :dremel::rock:

6. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

I never really thought of modding one since I had totaly forgotten that they even exist. But I had plans on building my own actually. But I thought I'd start with the original controller since it's the most challenging one and then I might make an arcade version if I feel like it later.

You're all into the retro stuff...that lamp looks crazy. I bet it wont tip over in the first place :thumb:

Thanks Waynio. There isn't actually any advanced stuff going on here. Im basically rerouting the pcb tracks from the ps3 controller buttons onto the old nes pcb. The hardest part is getting it all inside the case.

7. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Must...ignore...leave....alone....

Ah screw it, yea i bet you had fun playing with it :eyebrow:

8. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

The NES advantage is a pretty good controller. In fact even better than a normal controller for fast, frenzy finger games like contra or ninja gaiden.

9. Chanc3

Chanc3 What's a Dremel?

Epic thread is epic, took me over 2 hours to read this project log from start to finish. Very impressive! I don't often post much on here, but I had to this time! I hope you are proud of yourself!

10. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

yeah I bet he did. He brought my arcade stick cravings to life precisly when I had managed to overcome them.

Ah.. the sweet memories of aching fingertips as red as the buttons themself. Good old buttonmashing.

Thanks Chanc3 for giving me 2 hours of your time and liking it:thumb: It's always nice when people stop by to comment or give feedback. That's what made this build possible, support and compliments from the bit-tech community.:rock:

11. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

True that. When was the last time you played a game where adrenaline was pumping so much as your fingers tapped those buttons raw?

12. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Way too long ago, thats for shure, god I miss it. :D

13. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

unbelieveable dude. simply awesome.

14. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

It's about time for a revive and time to wrap up this project log once and for all. It's been a very long time since the last update and somehow I just wanished from the my own project and everybody elses aswell.

Before i disappeared I was in the middle of converting a NES controller into a wireless bluetooth controller by squeezing the guts of a PS3 controller inside. I hit some dead ends that needed to be solved before I could continue and I kind of lost the motivation and I needed a pause to clear my mind. To get som motivation and finds some answers to the controller problems, I decided to go on a quest across the planet to find my long distant family and ask for some advice.

And at last, I finaly found them.. the GNU family.
    [​IMG]

Turns out my family tree was bigger than I first expected. I was told It was around 2-3millions but im not shure since I lost count. I decided to get a little closer for to do some smalltalking and and hopefully get some good advice. But as you can see for your self, none of them showed any interest at all in a NES controller.
    [​IMG]

Joking aside.. If you like animals and nice people. Africa is the place. The above photos is from Masai mara in Kenya during the yearly migration that we was fortunate to catch right on time.

Lets get on with the NES controller mod.
    This is the PS3 circuit board. Since Im going to use the original NES pcb and buttons, I will need to connect the NES buttons to the opposite buttons on the PS3 pcb. Newer PS3 controllers don't have this type of connector. They have a "touch" based connector and I guess much harder to solder wires to. I had to search for quite some time to find a controller with this old style connector.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hm.. using all black cables wasn't my smartest move.
    [​IMG]

Much tidyer. It wasn't simply to just connect new cables to the pcb and it would be done since the buttons connect differently on both boards. As you can see in this picture, I had to cut some of the copper traces and solder some of the new cables onto the right track to get the NES button layout to match the PS3 layout.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was the modding of the microswitch. The stock switch didn't quite fit my purpose and I didn't like the feel aswell so I decided to do some modding. Donar plastic part before and after the lathe treatment.
    [​IMG]

Out with the old and in with the new. This is probably the smallest thing I have evere done in a lathe.
    [​IMG]

Before and after. What a HUGE different... or not. But it works as intended and the feel is much better.
    [​IMG]

USB connector had to be moved to a different location and I actually had to replace it with a different kind aswell to fit the casing.
    [​IMG]

And the USB needs a surrounding plastic aswell. Donar part to the left.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe a bit boring with only soldering pictures on this update. But expect some final case pictures tomorrow or wednesday.

Thanks for watching.

15. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

that looks great my friend !

16. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Are those plastic chess pieces?

17. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

I always figured you weren´t human at all... but a GNU?? Anyway, welcome back and nice modding. Very... TINY!

18. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

I'll have your babies... thats amazing!

19. TotalGaos

TotalGaos Stainless steel.. hmm..

Awesome work! Masai mara is great, too. I've been there during the great migration like you, its something special. I hope you had the chance to visit lake Nakuru too. It is a base for the migrating flamingo's during the same time of year which means it is literally packed with flamingo's.

20. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Nice soldering of tiny wires :thumb: