1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Call of Duty - Black Ops II

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by alastor, 2 May 2012.

1. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Has 4 Player Co-Op Zombies, I will be buying!

I can get past a poor game for fun co-op action with mates, and IMO Zombies from Black Ops/WaW was the best thing about the CoD franchise (except the originals).

2. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

OK, I am no CoD fan (I hate what the game's success has done to game development in general), but something caught my eye in the link that Spectre456 provided...

"A large part of the branching will be due to Strike Force, which is a brand-new game mode featuring tactical, open-ended gameplay in sandbox-style levels."

I would most definitely be interested to know more detail here. Now it always worries me when people say 'Sandbox Style" - normally it just means you can move a bit more in between the rails! Still if CoD implements a real sandbox with some real open ended choices then all may not be lost....

More info on Strike Force here

3. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

Sandbox style maps for COD will be two shoe box sized maps and not one :D

4. LEGOhairRunner

LEGOhairRunner What's a Dremel?

There is only one Call of Duty game I am prepared to play. But we know it's not going to be made.

[​IMG]

5. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Buy that for me would you Darling!

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Yup, that time of year again.

I've got it pre-installed after getting it as a gift for my Birthday.

Anyone else picked it up yet?

7. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Yeah the graphics are basic as hell. Modern shooters are going up against BF3 which really looks great. Roll on the next gen of consoles. We might get some nice looking games. If its better than average (as in better than ok not better than the average fps) I might buy at some stage once the price drops whatever little it will.

9. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

I've had my copy on 360 since Saturday. It's just more of the same, which depending on your preferences is either a good or a bad thing. The pick 10 class system is good though and zombies is good with friends as usual. Not really touched the SP yet though, only done the first level.

10. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

All being well should be getting it over next few days.

At one point I found it amazing how many CoD haters each release brings - personally I like most of the series (some more than others). I play with friends online using 360 as multiplayer and a little co-op since the spec ops mode in MW titles. Now I just expect the CoD hate to flow on the running to a new release :)

I'll agree single player has always been far too short, not all that challenging and mostly lacking for story - but these days I feel MP is where the market is and as a grab and play MP game I can't fault the CoD series. As for graphics, PC vs Console argument is done to death.

I'll watch the letter box over the next few days :p

11. theshadow2001

Its not a pc versus console thing. Its a "we've rehashed the same graphics we've been using for the last few years with little improvement because that eats into our profits" kinda thing. I'm sure even by console standard the graphics are poor.

12. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

I think the problem is that they've been using the same basic engine since 2007, yes there's been tweaks and upgrades but it does need a next gen offering imo. However whilst it's not the best looking game at least it all works, ie there are no texture pop ins or draw distance issues I've seen in the unreal engine games.

13. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I don't really hate call of duty - it has its place in the market. All of the kids in my daughters' primary school are talking about it and some of my closest friends love it (who are significantly older than primary school children!).

What I dislike about it is that it's phenomenal success has caused the industry to churn out more and more of the same and also the franchise has not really moved on for years. In the beginning, Call Of Duty was truly ground breaking - it's just not moved forward.

If people still like playing it, then who can really argue with that.

14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

That's the problem.... its an age rated game, which everyone buys for 8 year olds. :nono:

15. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I think that in some ways that's true, but the mates I talked about are in their 40's and definitely buy it for themselves. I guess it's popularity is that it is is easy enough that anyone can play it. There are no puzzles, no tricks, it's just trigger down, stick forward and enjoy the ride.

16. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

need to read some pc review first before i consider a purchase. I was burned by the poor performance last time.

17. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

This is just speculation, and i'm thinking quite broadly, but it's plausible, that the dev's are reusing this old tech, as their unsure about Microsoft's and Sony's plans for 'next' gen consoles, i.e, Xbox 720 and PS4. I mean, why spend hundreds and thousands of £'s/$'s on a new game engine for a current model, when MS and Sony spring 720/PS4 on us next year (If rumours are to be believed) CoD isn't the only series to reuse the same engine for a lengthy period of time, Halo and C&C spring to mind.

Sam

18. theshadow2001

I can't imagine a new console would lay waste to existing game engines. It's likely that existing engines will be available into the next gen. Which is good news if you develop Call of Duty games.

19. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

played a few hours, seems ok, but even more twitchy than ever!

20. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Completed... I'll talk more in the morning...

but who ever optimised it for PC deserves to be shot. I can to change controls for me to even be able to switch through weapons without scrolling. Come on. This isn't the dark ages.