1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows boss Sinofsky leaves Microsoft

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 13 Nov 2012.

1. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I don't see a problem with Windows8 or RT and my Windows Home Server is running fine. What was it that failed again?

Everything Nexxo said +1. Again we agree Nexxo, some may begin to talk ;)

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Shush! :worried: :p

I'm just calling it as I see it. I have praised Apple for its good products and criticised it in equal measure for its recent fails. I have criticised Microsoft for its past fails and recognised its successes and now praise it for its genuine innovations. Windows 8 is cheesecake, Windows Phone 8 awesome. As an ecosystem it's going to be very good indeed.

Last edited: 15 Nov 2012
  3. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

So good Ballmer got rid of the man behind the changes your enjoying. Ballmer laughed at Apple when the iPhone came out because it had no keyboard. I don't think it's us that have said it needs m/k its Ballmer previously telling us that is what we are getting. It wasn't until business and consumers started leaving en masse that Ballmer obviously changed his mind late in the game AGAIN and brought out a competitive device numerous years later. Surface/WinRT is nowhere near a finished product.

WP# isn't for me as I left most microsoft services a few years ago and now have my digital life running very nicely on android with googles services. I may change in the future but it would be a lot of hassle for, at best. about the same experience. So in my eyes just not worth it, but worth a look if your getting into the smartphone scene late or leaving blackberry.

On the Win8 front, it's not bad. A definite worthy upgrade from Vista and before. From 7, I feel it's murky, you really need to try it. Some people are finding it works better for them. I find it makes me slower, I really gave it a good go but I like to multi task and do my tasks fast and the extra mouse drags and button clicks I need to perform, just irritate me. This irks me as I really want to use and like it.

WinRT - ??? I can see what they did, but I can't help thinking WP+ would have been better. We will see how it evolves. It definitely needs time, as it's currently very limited.

I use Windows primarily and so would like a quality product being a user. I can't stand Ballmer, he shows consistently, that he isn't up to the job.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You are making a bunch of misattributions. When the iPhone came out there was no app store and nothing but the six or so apps that came on it as standard. There was no copy-paste. There was no attachment handling. No multitasking. No Exchange support. No MMS. No GPS or compass --in fact no maps, which was an afterthought three weeks before its official launch. It was decidedly "unfinished" compared to the current iPhone. Plenty of customers rejected it for the lack of a physical keyboard --even on this forum.

We don't know how much Sinofsky was instrumental in creating the Windows 8 and WP 8 ecosystem or was an obstacle in it. It is said that he did not play nice with other departments and does not think in terms of services but software in boxes.

I think that most people don't know what they want. They deride Windows 8 for looking gaudy while they put neon tubes in their modded rigs. Just search for the thread on this forum that discusses the launch of the very first iPad. I said it would be a huge success; almost everybody else thought it was rubbish and would fail for not being a "real computer", which to them meant a physical keyboard and an OS with windows and multitasking. Now we see that the iPad is a huge success, and Microsoft got it wrong? The only thing it got wrong is listening to its customer base too much. Most people don't have vision --they need someone like Steve Jobs to have it for them. The best thing Microsoft can do is hire its own visionary and ignore what everyone else says.

Last edited: 18 Nov 2012
  5. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Because you don't write for The Sun.

6. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Then I looked at a CNET profile of Steven Sinofsky. The article, which appears well sourced, talks of a brilliant but divisive figure, feuding with fellow executives and creating "a toxic work environment that has chased talented employees away from a maturing company that's in desperate need of innovative thinking."

This was from the BBC News Tech Correspondent, sounds like he needed to go?

7. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

Hard to believe some of the things some people say about MS when they have no idea what's really going on in Redmond.

The McAfee story is just disinformation put out by MS's Black-Op's Dept to dissuade Apple from hiring him, rumour has it that McAfee has already developed an eye movement indicator sensory components thought controlled OS for MS, "Windows MC" (Mind Control).
    Steve Ballmer was one of the early test participants, the results were promising but the side effects have proved to be severe and long term in some test subjects!

Makes sense to me :rolleyes: