1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Mini-PC - Finished (New account and a new mod)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sissilisko, 31 Oct 2012.

?

This is for my mom, so windows 7 or easy use ubuntu (if there is one)

1. Ubuntu

20.8%
  2. Windows 7

79.2%
  1. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Looking good so far, looking forward to seeing the finished computer.

2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

That's looking great! Can't wait to see more! :thumb:

3. Sissilisko

Sissilisko What's a Dremel?

thank you guys very much :) and there will be more : D

4. Sissilisko

I have the HDD! i bought it from a guy who didn't needed it and sold it cheap :p
    it's a Hitachi Travelstar Z5K500,

link to a review
    http://www.storagereview.com/hitachi_travelstar_z5k500_review_hts545050a7e380

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i had so luck with this one :p if it works... but if it is broken, i have the guys number. >: D

but tomorrow will be more about the hard-drive like testing it if it works, test fitting and pictures and stuff, let's see what i get in mind to try out :D

OH and im in a trouble on if i should put a win 7 or ubuntu, cause 7 aint cheap, but i don't know if my mom ever learns to use ubuntu even if it is kinda pretty simple...
    so tell me please if there is like "win 7 styled" ubuntu out there that works almost like win 7?

5. Mechh69

WOW that was an extremely generous offer:thumb: I'm not sure why you didn't take his offer:confused: He basically offered you a complete system for probably little or nothing, I would have graciously accepted it and thanked him for helping a poor fellow out! +1 rep to jrs77:clap:

Now on to the new stuff. If she is used to windows I would put W7 on it. If you know someone who is a student you can get a discount on it from MS. I have ubantu on a computer at home and still have issues with it when trying to do certain things most people that are not computer geeks will run in to problems with Linux vs W7.

6. Sissilisko

well i would have but i wanted to use my old A6 prosessor because i dont need it, and like i said there i coulda taken the cooler but he hasn't responsed... :/ but now when i am a working man (got a job about a week ago) and gotten my self some extra money it hasn't bring me that much of money problems anyway : ) and yes he is very generous of a man to offer that much :)

well i was wondering if i could get it working properly, cause my mom doesn't use it like in serious working, but the worst fear is the problem with java what i had in my htpc...

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Personally Ubuntu with the Unity desktop is fine for someone new to ubuntu, but if your worried (which you shouldn't be) you could give Kubuntu a go which uses the KDE environment which looks enough like windows. (makes me sick)

Ubuntu Cheesecake!

8. Sissilisko

Thanks for the advise, ill check it out.

9. Sissilisko

Well then, first of all, ill prepare motherboard for the coming cooler that should be here soon...

so i will just take out the cooler and wipe out all the thermal paste with a (many) pieces of paper.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

looking nice and clean, and i attached the back plate to the cooler so it doesn't wander away by it self in this chaotic mess in the house that i have :D

next to attach the HDD that i bought, just to be sure that it works.
    don't mind about my computer :D

[​IMG]

yes my ssd's are putted with a little ghetto style in :D and the new hard-drive is behind the ssd's

just for fun a another picture of my computer, it's kinda nasty :blush:
    [​IMG]

it's going trough a transform, when i have a tax repay (of the money that i have paid more then enough of my paycheck's) what is soon :p (it's many times said to be a government's Christmas present :D) it will have water cooling and i have to cut it up so ill get 360 rad on top and 120rad on bot.... yes, 120 rad between the power supply and front 200mm rad. but enough of this.

so i couldn't find the hdd from the bios, not before i went to boot options.. gosh.. there's windows inside... got to clean the stuff up.

well computer finds it up, now the cleaning duty ( re format )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well now there's all good in the hood...

Now to the promised test fitting!!

awwww..... oh god it's so small and cute :eek: i love small computers :D
    [​IMG]

i modded a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter so i can mount the hard-drive inside the case more easily..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

yup, should get the job done, im just wondering if i should drill holes trough and put screw's or to just screw it from the inside, the screw's has a bad habit to break or not to stay in mdf because it's just so damn soft....

but to the last pictures, fitting the hdd with the motherboard :naughty:

[​IMG]

and looking good, well still have to make the hole for io-shield.. but i don't have the damn motherboard stand-off's yet...

but for the next time... what will be the new cooler.

10. Mechh69

Good to hear that you got a job congratz! Just out of curiosity why don't you use Velcro or double sided sticky tape to mount the HDD? A suggestion for you sata cable, if you have a dell optiplex or other dell SFF computer around they make a sata cable that is only about 4-5 inches that would work perfectly for you.

11. Sissilisko

Thank you! and i never think of that :p but because it wont be staying at my place and there is no window so you never know when it looses up and drops : D so i want it to be as so much maintenance free, so no risk's :)

but thanks for asking :p and i don't have, i could try to look out for small sata cable, but i was thinking of using couple of cable tie.

but thanks for the ideas! they will be handy in future because this will not be the last small pc i will mod :p

12. Pfaffen

Pfaffen What's a Dremel?

Just an idea, after you drill the holes for mounting brackets, you can fill the hole with superglue. It will harden and support the sides of the hole for the screws and make it much stronger.

13. Sissilisko

sounds like a great idea :p or i can fill the hole with motherboard stand off and with superglue and there is no way it will loosen up! : D that would be nice, and then screw another stand off on top of it :p

14. Sissilisko

THE PACKAGE IS HERE!!

let's unbox this baby :p

[​IMG]

truly truly professional unboxer :thumb:
    [​IMG]

for my bad luck there wasn't what i ordered first... like mb stand offs... :(
    but now i have the cooler :p at least :blah:

[​IMG]

it's nice and small :p but while looking closer i notice something....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The damn fan blows down! o_O i don't want it like that and it doesn't even work on my mod like that at all!! mrr... :miffed: well time to flip it around...
    like normally in scythe coolers the fan is really easy to take off and replace or something...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now it's right sided... or how do ya say it... well anyways, time to install it, and for amd this is seriously so easy that even my grandma could do it so i will put only pictures there :hehe:

[​IMG]

and i just noticed that i ALL READY FORGET to take pictures of it and that was the only one xD, well let's jump to the next chapter....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

yes yes, was boring update but i promised to do this and there is no point to even try the cooler out cause there aint nothing whit what to load it up... and i don't have win yet.. sooooo there is absolutely nothing to do! AGAIN! just because they take forever to give me my parts... :( well the 100x100 scythe fan is kinda rare in here :D:D i e-mailed them again, we shall see.... sooon... if not other way, i will not order that set, make a new order without the cooler and get the cooler from somewhere else.... but it's pre paid so it will be pain in the butt...

15. Mechh69

Nice looking cooler and really low profile. Looking back through the log I like how you made the vents, it is simple and looks good. Sorry to hear about not getting your parts I hope they get them there soon!

16. Sissilisko

Thanks! i would have done the side vents more easily but i forgot :D and i hope too.

17. Sissilisko

Now i got the package that ive waited over a month now, i wont be building now cause i got to go to work soon but i will do the honor of unload the box for you guys :)

There is also my army knife that i got to bought after i graduated from non-commissioned officer school... for a corporal medic :3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The "quite" rare type of fan, 100x100mm scythe kaze-juy slim

[​IMG]

I-tuner 150W internal small power supply

[​IMG]

my new power button :p will take a little time to learn how to use this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the screw's i have waited so long for the motherboard (also stand offs )

[​IMG]

and a quick fan test fitting on the case and the hole is more then perfect.

[​IMG]

now got to get some money to buy glue and stuff like drill bit's and like that. see ya soon!

18. Sissilisko

Hi everyone! once again... now i have a HUGE POST! but it will come in two or three parts... now when i upload the pictures it said i have over 70 pictures.... over 70... just for you guys...

so then... i got borrowed a drilling machine from my dad... and bought some drills for it..

[​IMG]

so we start to drill a hole for the power connector..
    first we drill the bigger hole in right depth and then drill trough with smaller....

[​IMG]

well it wasn't deep enough just yet so i made it a bit deeper and the drill made goof and and made it i bit too deep... almost completely trough...

[​IMG]

but it seems to work... :p

[​IMG]

then i drilled the hole for power button... it took a hell a lot of time to drill 20-22mm hole with 12mm drill bit... it was the biggest i had.

[​IMG]

but it works.. and looks good :)

[​IMG]

oh yeah and i tried the idea with the motherboard stand-offs and glued them

[​IMG]

but i had nothing with what to cut the thread part off cause they were too long... so i had to do it other way.

-------------------------
    day 2:

let's get the case back on table....

[​IMG]

the bag is for preventing the wood waste getting anywhere...
    so i start to drill holes on bottom of case for the HDD...

well... there's the holes... i made a goof and made drilled one somewhere where it shouldn't be...

[​IMG]

with this i test the holes are in right places

[​IMG]

and they were, but the screws were too short so i have wait and think how i proceed

mean while we can take a look a box i got from jimm's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New memories and dry air in a can... nice.

i got Kingston hyperX 4GB 1866MHz memory... because apu prosessor uses the onboard memory to it's grafics so it benefit's quite a lot from faster memory ( linus tech tips actualy tested that )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so how it looks??

and i tested and configured the bios for the memory... at my girlfriends computer again cause she has the only vga cable in whole house...

[​IMG]

till the next time... what is soon, i have the pictures allready... got to play Dota 2 with friend ;D

Last edited: 10 Dec 2012
  19. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

no wonder it took so long to drill the hole fer the switch. hitachi drills are krud *has ww2-style flashbacks*

20. Sissilisko

yeah :Dand i had to carve the whole hole bigger with it :D

Tags: