1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Geekbench scores

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 14 Dec 2011.

1. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Three runs and clear out excess crap. I shut down most of the extra programs I usually have running (Steam, Origin, Afterburner, Skype, AI Suite, Logitech Gaming Software) to help maintain consistent scores, and it really does make a difference, up to a thousand points in some cases.

2. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

To illustrate my point a little better, take a look at some of the sub-scores. They're quite often way off what they should be, but they contribute to the overall score.

Sharpen Image, single core;

AMD Phenom II X3 720 (@3.6GHz) - 3830
    Intel Core i7 3770k (@3.5Ghz) - 1802

So a four year old AMD chip is over twice as fast as a new i7? Wow, thanks geekbench!

The multi-core version of the same test places the massively faster Intel CPU slightly ahead, (12k vs 11k) but it's still completely broken.

EDIT: I also get lower scores on some of the memory tests using the exact same PC but with the memory clocked higher (same timings).

3. law99

law99 Custom User Title

You want to see a biased bench for CPU scores then look no further than bit-tech's awful CPU bench they use. Let us just say, considering every other site only considers AMD for multi tasking, something about the bit-tech scores doesn't add up. A base score of 1000 in multitasking apparently equals a bs PC World entry dualcore Intel offering from 5 years ago. Ismell a rat.

4. Yslen

In my experience with the bit-tech benchmark suite, the multitasking test is heavily memory dependent and surprisingly bad at using multiple cores. It does at least seem to reflect other memory-heavy benchmarks, though. Bit-tech added the Cinebench benchmark to give low-clocked high-core-count CPUs a fair review.

5. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Geekbench is a Memory glugging bitch. It's where most of the AMD chips really loose ground, since it makes up a large part of the overall score. (Just look back through all my results for proof of that.) - The issue is that it's also a sensitive bitch. It's incredibly vulnerable to system instability, the slightest glitch in processing knocks hundreds off scores, I especially noticed this in things that were Prime95 stable, yet still seemed to have issues.

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

No synthetic benchmark is perfect., nor is just using one real world application. This is why reviews always test a range of real world applications.

This thread was as much for fun as anything else.

7. Yslen

Well said. I wasn't trying to ruin anyone's fun! :D

8. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

Cannot wait to get me 3820 @5ghz geekbenched!!!!

9. xxxsonic1971

I should have it mounted and ready for a good thrashing by friday!

10. Andre_B

Andre_B Minimodder

I think I'm the only 3820 on the board, so it will be good to see what you score. :)

11. law99

law99 Custom User Title

For sure... which is what is disappointing about the bit-tech benchmarks. Just using wprime and cinebench then a cluster of Gimp, handbrake and zip stuff. I'd much rather get a review from Anandtech for CPUs, or Tomshardware. Just compare the latest AMD reviews on these sites.

But yeah... benchmark threads are all for fun in the end and I certainly don't weigh the Geekbench scores above any other type of performance metric beyond what it feels like when I play games or try watch a video whilst browsing and more.

12. xxxsonic1971

If i had top score on geekbench i would say its the best benchmark in the world, all others would be wrong!!! lol

13. xxxsonic1971

Haha, me too, i cannot wait till payday to finish things off!!! What mobo and ram are you useing please sir?? :D:D:D

14. Andre_B

Andre_B Minimodder

16GB (4x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Low Profile Jet Black, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.5V

Asus P9X79 Pro, Intel X79, S 2011, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, PCIe 3.0 (x16), ATX

I'm very happy with it.

15. xxxsonic1971

i was thinking going MSI mobo just for cheapness, but with a bit of luck i should be able to get an asus next weeek, i've always used asus in the past and never had any problems.

16. law99

law99 Custom User Title

If you overclock, look out for the MSI boards... I bought one and it was limited to 1.35vcore.

17. Andre_B

Andre_B Minimodder

Have you decided which motherboard to go for?

I'm waiting for you to post your score :D

18. xxxsonic1971

I have bought an MSI X79A-GD45-8D, and 8gb of samsung green ram. I'm just waiting for the cooler to get here, i should be up an running monday i hope, i'll get another 8gb of ram as well next week :)
    I cannot wait!!!

19. rollo

rollo Modder

All Benchmarks are just that a Benchmark.

Very few can be used to accurately determain how powerful or not your pc is.

You could have the best CPU that money can buy and be using onboard graphics but acording to geek your score is top, but it would not play any modern game.

Similar thing can be done with 3dmark.( Just replace CPU with GPUs)

My current 2 phones both outscore some of my older pcs which is good for a laugh ( Ip5 and SG3) my old netbook scores 740 points lol.

20. xxxsonic1971

I'll have a mild overclock- 4ghz or something, the 1.35vcore wont really be an issue as i wont be going for extreme clocks!!! lol!! :thumb: