1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel buys Creative's GPU, SoC know-how

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 21 Nov 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

"Creative Technology, best known for its audio-realted..."

audio-related perhaps?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Quite - fixed, ta!

4. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

they should use the passing of otellini as a springboard for swallowing their pride and putting a deal on the table to putting some NV cores in their cpu - they just have to make up for NV not selling as many GPUS. Dabbling in all the little guys tech will not get them the real mccoy and their cpu tech will always be lifting up a lame duck. I'm not NV fanboy but AMD is the only other ready to roll alternative.
    It wouldnt be good for us though as intel would completely dominate in every way instead of just almost every way.

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

perhaps, but with nvidia selling their own system on a chip they might have little incentive to sell anything to Intel.

6. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

Graphics blaster extreme with Permedia 2 chip set and 4mb ram (I think) was the first graphics card I ever bought. I remember playing Tomb Raider and was mesmerized at how everything looked, ahhh the good ol' days :-D

7. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

You old bast@rd SazBard ;)

(I remember playing that as well on an equally bad card, that's bad as in good!)

8. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

I'd been wondering what became of the Zii architecture. Creative's announcement of it a few years back made it look really promising, but here we are...

Should be interesting to see if some fresh blood helps intel's gpu design; Creative may not be a big player in the field, but Intel's designs aren't much to brag about either, this merging of tech may just end up with something greater than the sum of it's parts.

9. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

I can definitely relate. My first PC was a speedy 133mhz Pentium with a 2 GB hardrive and a Number 9 Graphics card. If i remember correctly, it had 16 MB of RAM which I later upgraded to 24 MB of RAM.

The PC + all the peripherals at the time cost about $3500, roughly $500 less than the used car I was driving at the time. BTW, I got many more years out of the car than the PC. Even after I was done with the car I passed it on to relatives who got many more years/miles out of it.

I can't say the same for the PC. The 2GB hardrive went bad just after the 1yr warranty expired and I ended up spending another $400 on a 4GB replacement. By the time I gave my car to family members, the PC was so obsolete that it had already been junked.

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Doubt there will be any new blood, sounds like a patent play from Intel, they don't want the staff.