1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU New Seasonic PSU REALLY CRAP CABLES!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ShinyAli, 24 Nov 2012.

1. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

I just think that the supplied flat cables look cheap and nasty and not what I expected for what is a relatively expensive PSU, sure you can pay more and if someone want's to spend £100 + for a 550W PSU that's up to them but I think it's totally unneccesary when it's to used in an average PC.
    If you want to spend your time reflecting on how much better your PSU is because it cost a lot that's your choice but frankly the nuances of a very expensive PSU that can only be seen on test equipment and the very small saving on your elctricity bill seem pointless and nothing more than bragging rights, I can live without it.

If these flat cables are as good or better than braided why do seasonic provide braided cables with the more expensive X-Series and as for braided cables being harder to manage I've never had a problem that's what cables ties/velcro ties are for.

2. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

You get what you pay for and you paid for the lower end of Seasonic Gold rated PSU's

£70-£80 isn't much for a silent PSU that is gold rated and made by one of the best power supply makers and comes with a 5 year warranty

if you really wanted braided cables you should have paid £5 more and went for a Bronze Seasonic M12II 650W or got a Bequiet pure power 630W for £62 on ebuyer

you really should have researched your buy before you bought it TBH

3. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

You clearly don't understand he benefits of this Seasonic. Like I said, if you don't appreciate what this PSU has to offer, stop acting like it's rubbish, give it back and get something you're happy with. It isn't nice to portray the PSU at fault (it isn't) when you yourself have issues with it's (perfectly normal) design choices and the pros and cons don't suit you.

And individuals that buy a PSU like this don't spend time thinking how much better their expensive PC is, they spend time marvelling at how quiet their PC is compared to when they had a cheap PSU.

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

That's only become an option recently, until about 12 months ago, braided extensions were either not available or were complete rubbish. Personally, I still think they're complete rubbish. There is no substitute for a professionally braided PSU/set of modular cables.

• Looks 1000% better than stock cables or pre-braided extensions.
    • Adds class and a professional look to a build.
    • Allows shortening/extension of cables to make routing/tidying a breeze.
    • Takes as long as it takes, seasoned pro's can do it fairly fast, is worth every minute of the time it takes.

They look identical to Corsair flat cables which are of decent quality and are a breeze to work with in my opinion. Two of my three desktops are running Corsair HX series PSUs at the moment, and the cables in both of those have been custom made to suit the cases they're in, in some places they've been extended, in some they have been shortened and in one, they have been completely braided. One last point - £80 is an extremely inexpensive enthusiast PSU. You have gotten exactly what you paid for. If you want braided modular cables these days, you have to spend £100 or more.

5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

6. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

Each to their own, personally I would not sit and individually braid each cable on a PSU
    its way too time consuming and I have better things to do.

Yes I agree that when its done well it does look nice, but in my own rigs I hide all the cables I
    can but motherboard and GPU cables can't be hidden and extentions are an effective way to make it look more professional.

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Those cables look like they would be a dream to run neatly around a system! The cables that came with my power supply are thick gauge wire with crappy plasticy fishnet sleeving. The thick gauge causes a lack of malleability which is exasperated by the sleeving. They are bulk and awkward to run.

8. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I Think everything is getting off topic with the "modding and sleeving" but I personally prefer the flat cables. I have a Seasonic X760 and it's an awesome psu, modular and pre-sleeved, 80plus gold or platinum, etc. I find the pre-braided cables to be bulky and harder to manage in CERTAIN cases that have tighter spaces behind the motherboard tray. The flat cables feel like they are less resistant to being bent, making them easier to route.

If you have a problem with the cables you can always exchange the PSU, but like others have said, you're paying for silence, stability and quality. I think the aesthetics of the cables are being blown out of proportion.

9. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Alll this hatred because of cables not sleeved ? Last time I chose 'look' over 'quality', the psu lasted a total of 3 days. Go ahead, purchase a PSU made by a Coolers manufacturer, trust them over one of the best PSU manufacturers in the business. If the cables bother you, just puchase a sleeving kit.

10. ShinyAli

I never said the PSU was rubbish I said the cables look cheap and nasty which they do, that's my opinion if some don't like it I couldn't care less ;)

11. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

I respect your opinion about cables mate no problem, I was referring to the other stuff mentioned :)

12. Bituser

Bituser 64 Gigglebytes

I've got an 850W PSU from Seasonic and it has some nice and tidy braided cables. I don't see anything too wrong with the ones you have. I'd be happy with them.

13. ShinyAli

A few people have said this and that £80 is at the lower end of the price range for "enthusiast" PSU's but looking on Overclockers site which has a big selection of PSU's from all the main brands there are only two that cost more than £80, the BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P10and the Seasonic X-Series 550w, what are all these PSU's that cost so much more than mine?

14. ShinyAli

I've got the 550W and I'm not...

15. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

mdpc-x.com

Problem solved. Pre-sleeved PSUs look like crap anyway. The Seasonic is a good PSU - I'll agree that you don't seem to appreciate that.

16. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Eh, i'm not feeling you. The lack of braiding doesn't indicate lower quality, lower quality indicates lower quality.

Those cables look solid to me. In fact, they look better than color coded braided cables where the shrink wrap terminates before the connector.

17. TheBlackSwordsMan

I don't know if i'm the only one but I hate when something get stuck in the sleeving. Heat shrink Cheesecake

18. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Those are the only other 80 plus Gold PSU's with that wattage on Overclocker's site. So in relation to your question, which other 80 plus gold 550W PSU's cost more than yours? All of them.

Go and get yourself a bronze one, get a silver one, get one without a rating. get whatever you like and leave the venerable G series 550 alone. You asked on an enthusiast forum for advice, and received an enthusiast-level product recommendation as you should expect (you wanted a PSU that didn't get loud at load like the TX650), but you don't seem to appreciate the (clear and obvious to the rest of us) enthusiast benefits, so I think a lesser one will suit you better.

This Antec Neo Eco has fully braided cables at first glance and is cheaper. Probably as quiet as you would want too.

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes this is exactly why. It's not cheap at all. They are flat and black so they blend in with black interiors and can be easily routed behind motherboard trays. Why need color coding tbh, just like we don't need to be told every different motherboard port in different colors. Personally I hate braid, but there you go.

20. TheBlackSwordsMan

+1