1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mozilla ceases work on 64-bit Firefox for Windows

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 22 Nov 2012.

1. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    It cant handle stress the same way Firefox handles.

2. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

Hope not! ..Chrome is the new IE

3. leslie

leslie Just me!

I agree, this is very short sighted. It will be back at some point, it's not like 32bit is the way forward. Instead of killing it, why not push out the 64bit public release, you might just force these others to get their act together.

At any rate, I'm not sure where the problem is, I have been on 64bit Firefox in one form or another for around 2 years(?). At times it has been the only browser installed and I got along just fine. Other than Quicktime not working (Quicktime Alternative does), I haven't run into any issues lately. Things have been running smooth since somewhere around Firefox 10, so much so that each release I expected a normal 64bit version along with it.

As for Chrome, if Firefox keeps heading the way they are, it's going to be a clone of Chrome anyhow. Which is something that annoys me to no end. Chrome reminds me of the Iphone, it's all shiny until you need to do something just slightly outside the box, and then you may as well be living on Mars. The last two times I needed to step out of the box was for relatively normal things (such as adding the ability to change the default program for a specific extension), Google software engineers actually came out and said they wouldn't support it. After the second time I ended up needed to change something, my response was to throw it right back at them, I won't support it.

4. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

High ho... high ho... its off to chrome we go......

Perhaps? :D

5. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Let's hope not - Google already tracks everybody enough. Aside from that, look at Google's track record - eventually they'll lose interest in Chrome and it will be the new IE, like tuk said.

It would help if MS didn't hide it - on a fresh Win install, the shortcut to IE that's easy to find (on the start menu, up through Win7) is for the 32-bit. Your average citizen could likely go their entire life without even knowing there's a 64-bit version of IE hiding deep in the guts of Windows. If the default shortcut opened the 64-bit version, usage stats would skyrocket for it.

6. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Meh Firefox is crap anyways, mine constantly freezes when watching videos.

I've tried every solution Google can spam at me and nothing works.

I used to love Firefox but Chrome is my browser of choice now.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

7. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

This is rather crap news. I have been using Nightly 64 bit (Trunk build) as my primary browser for three to four years now, it is lightning fast and the few plugins I use have rarely had any issues. I have experienced maybe two or three few hour segments where flash caused it to crash in the whole time I have been using it.

Seems IE is moving away from x64 space too... I wonder what this means for the future of browsing, essentially 32 bit is here to stay?

8. crudbreeder

crudbreeder What's a Dremel?

64bit doesn't matter to the vast majority of application developers, they don't see any gain from switching their products to 64 bit. And the facst that they must still produce a 32bit version for their current customers, and that developing for both 32 and 64 bit in parallell isn't without issues tend to be the final nail in the coffin.

So it's a catch 22, people can't use 64bit OSs fully, because most of their applications are 32 bit, and developers won't do 64 bit versions since most of their customers use 32 bit OS.

So yes, you will see 32 bit dominating the desktop world for a lot of years to come.

9. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Adnoctum, what is your problem? If everyone thought like you I'm sure we would all still be on 8bit. I mean, surely 8bit browser is good enough to display text... everything else is just overkill right?

10. derviansoul

derviansoul What's a Dremel?

The funny thing is that everyone here finds excuses to keep supporting 32bits. But this should actually be done by microsoft themselves by stop selling the 32bits.

All this discussion about legacy only proves in my opinion that the desktop is dying slowly and the fact that mozzilla instead of pushing 64bits version is actually killing it. i wonder if it will take more than 10years for mobile based OS's to get rid of 32bit. (I would go even further in saying that in less than 5years, OS's in the mobile space wont even support it).

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

On a brighter note, less versions means more dev time to improve the renaining ones.

12. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Although slightly un-related, is anyone else finding FF buggy and unstable of late. My current install keeps hanging and sucking up all my memory. By the time I had the inclination to terminate the process it had swallowed up 2gb of memory!

13. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    I am a heavy tab user and I cant reach that on these new versions.
    Should be looking to the addons you are using, some are very leaky. If you arent using addons, reinstall a clean Firefox, dont forget to keep favourites, history and passwords.

14. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Check add-ons. To be more exact, Ad-Block Plus tends to break itself every once in a while and do that.

15. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

I agree, 32 bit should have been killed off, problem is Mozilla had a fairly good version that worked at 12.0a1, later versions like 13.0a1 to 20.0a1 had functionality most likely just loped off to discourage people from using the 64 bit browser, could 12.0a1 have been released or even gone to Beta? In My opinion, YES. Do I think Mozilla ever intended to release the 64bit Firefox Browser? Nope, especially now that Mozilla has taken Market share from IE, Mozilla thinks half the Nightly users might jump ship to Opera 12.11 which has a 64bit browser that unlike Mozilla is released for everyone to use.

I've been using 12.0a1 for about a year flash does crash, sometimes, but not as much as it used to do, Java and the Java development kit both work, as does Silverlight and those are the 4 plugins that I have.

In 13.0a1 to 20.0a1 for example making a bookmark is great, their all unsorted, this didn't happen in 12.0a1, there is a popup memu(a dialog box) in 12.0a1 that's missing in 13.0a1 to 20.0a1, also in 20.0a1 about:addons would seem to be a simple mouse click like under 12.0a1, but unlike in 12.0a1 that mouse click goes no where, also in 20.0a1 Ctrl-Shift-A which takes one to addons in 12.0a1 does nothing in 13.0a1 to 20.0a1.

If You want a 64bit Windows web browser and have an installed 64 bit Vista/Windows 7 Operating System, If You have the 32bit version of Vista or Windows 7 do not bother as a 64bit program will not run on a 32bit OS(Operating System), then here's the link:

firefox-12.0a1.en-US.win64-x86_64.zip(22MB)

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

17. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

18. Eldorado

Eldorado Needs new glasses..

I'll stick to SRware's Iron, when that fails I use Waterfox & as a last resort, Opera.
    IE is the first thing I disable after a fresh installation.

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

20. rollo

rollo Modder

How many open tabs does 2gb even take to get too these days. even with the 10 tabs i have open now its bearly breaking 200mb.