1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2012 Thread - Post season

Discussion in 'General' started by alastor, 7 Dec 2011.

1. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

That four year old just out-drove the rest of the field, and won three WDC's. I wish I could be that sort of four year old.

Seb earned the title. Deal with it.

2. Redsnake77

Redsnake77 Useless Idiot

Fingerknob overtook Kobayashi under yellows, he wasn't halfway alongside when they reached the first yellow, which was visible from the last green. He then continued to pass as they passed the second yellow light with a third yellow light visible in the distance.

The second incident was when Kobayashi missed his breaking, went of the track and came back on, Fingerknob went up the inside perfectly alongside Kobayashi (wheel to wheel) and didn't leave a cars width forcing Kobayashi off the track.

In a previous race (the other one that finished on yellows in the last sector) Fingerknob put in a fastest lap purpling every sector.

Other drivers have been punished for these infringements, but Fingerknob seems be run below the stewards radar.

I'm pretty sure a solid yellow light is equivalent to double waved yellows indicating the drivers should be prepared to stop as marshals are on the track, which makes this races yellow flag infringement most serious.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That overtake was done under the red+yellow striped slippery surface caution flag, there was no yellow in that sector at the time. Clear as day on the HD coverage.

Out-drove the rest of the field by having a vastly superior machine for a whole season plus the two late halves of another two. Does anyone hold Mansell's championship in the FW14-B above Hamilton, Raikkonen, Button or Alonso's closely contested ones in comparable machinery to their rivals? I certainly don't.

F1 is primarily about the machine, even with arguably the most talented field in F1 there's a huge gulf between the front and even the midfield teams, let alone the new guys off at the back.

Hopefully Mr Newey won't go away and make the class of the field again, a fourth year would be too much! Don't get me wrong, I respect their achievements, Red Bull are the class of the field from fairly modest beginnings, and after all their years I think every outfit deserves to taste the reward of success in something as soul-destroying as top-flight motorsport, but consistent victory isn't good for the sport.

4. Redsnake77

Redsnake77 Useless Idiot

Apparently Conolly (Race steward) is saying the yellow lights were actually red and yellow slippery surface boards. Really?

5. Krikkit

Yep - the lights were a bit tricky to see, but the flag being held out by the Marshal was clear enough (as they have at every light under the rules).

6. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Uh... that's the point of F1. If you can't keep up- you lose. If you make that a point of contention, you might as well wrap up all motor sports.

At one point you claim the winner is the one with the vastly superior machine, then turn around and immediately point out hotly contested fights between Ham, Rai, Butt, and Alonso? Double standard much? It's either one or the other, don't waffle on about a superior car, and then ignore the fact that they are all very comparable. This season should have made that more obvious than ever given the number of winners in the early season.

Not sure Nico Hulkenberg would agree given his performance at Interlagos in the Williams and the Force India.

I hope he makes another winning car. It's surely within his right to do the best for his team, no? Or do we have to all hold hands, and dance around a circle and be friends? It's a race. There's only one winner, second place is the first loser.

People bitch and moan about Sebastian winning three years in a row... and yet they dare place Senna, Fangio, or Brabham on some kind of majestic podium? Are we all big Senna fans because he died doing what he loved? Somehow people fall in love with nostalgia and forget that those drivers also won three on the trot. Yet, we don't dare criticize Senna, now do we? People love to idolize winners of the past. Somehow nobody seems to mind Alain Prost, despite the giant douche he was.

I guess people just love hating winners. They'll grab onto something like Seb's 'finger' and use that as their entire leverage to try and pull him down. Hilarious. I'm quite glad I don't interact with people like that on a normal basis.

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

And what does that have to do with the fact, that i lost respect for him due his whining little girl and "Seb is here, move away" nature ?

8. rollo

rollo Modder

Senna and the others you mensioned all out drove the machines they were in.

Look at the Williams that senna died in biggest pile of crap ever made according to a few teams( all driver aids were disabled the year he got it) yet he put the thing on pole, senna and others proved themselves with a bad car by constantly hitting above what anyone had any reason to expect.

Till vettel does a similar thing people will always criticise him.

Was a fun race felt sorry for hami again, JB drove well.

Next season should be fun

9. Krikkit

Then we'd better axe the whole lot - I don't like watching sports where one team dominates at the front for consistent periods. Le Mans is getting a bit boring now Audi have joined the party and completely out-spent the competition, BTCC would be boring if every season went the same way. I can't help but feel that you totally missed what I meant.

When did Hamilton, Raikkonen or Alonso have totally dominant machines? Look at the RB7 and tell me that the MP4-23, F2007, or R26 were as utterly dominant? The BGP001 was the class of the field, but was soon overhauled by the other teams, leaving an epic battle for the championship.

This year we've had some great racing, but the Red Bull has emerged as comfortably the dominant package in the 2nd half, something which has sealed up Vettel's victory.

Yep, but which 3 teams are consistently kicking ass this season? There have been fluke victories and front-running at a few tracks, but most tracks have been dominated by Ferrari, McLaren and Red Bull.

Yep, those guys all won 3 on the trot. If I was there at the time I might have chirped up to say it was a bit boring in dominant victories accompanied by uncontrolled smugness.

At the end of the day I don't enjoy watching smug domination by one team, I find a close-fought battle much more exciting, something that the first 10 races this season delivered. Since then it's often just been a battle for 2nd.

Either way, we'll have to disagree. Isn't the internet wonderful. :)

10. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Fab race, tense, and a great win for JB. Wrong result for the WDC, IMHO - but that was a class drive from Vettel. I thought he was done for after the collision, but hats of to him, and Mr Newey for designing such a resilient car.

That said, Horner and Seb are still annoying twunts. :)

11. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Having watched it after getting back from the pub, I totally agree. Excellent race and I was exhausted after only the first 10 laps, so I whizzed through the rest.

I'm ambivalent about Vettel getting his 3rd world championship. It's clear that he's had the best car but he's driven a lot better than Webber so I guess it's deserved. Also a shame for Hulkenburg - he could so easily have got a good podium place for Sahara Force India but things didn't work out.

Well done RBR for producing such a good car.

12. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Safety car saves him again :( Ultimately the title was gifted to Vettel in Abu Dhabi.

Still it was an awesome race, thoroughly exciting until the very end. I curse Kobayashi and Di Resta, seeing the lap counter turn yellow twice gave me that little glimmer of hope but alas it wasn't to be.

I must admit it was a really impressive drive by Seb but I'm sorry, he did not earn this title, over the year it was given to him by a combination of McLarens reliability gremlins/appalling pit stops and people who have trouble with brakes.

On to next year, which I think might actually be a little bit drab and boring as everyone focuses the development on the major rule changes for 2014.

13. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Man... this race was a roller-coaster.

First off:
    Seb is the luckiest man in the world. To survive the turn 4 incident where he got tagged not once, but TWICE is nothing short of incredible luck. There was also a replay where it looked like some of his floor plate coming loose (Coulthard commented on it as well on the Beeb coverage). Damage to his car that caused some balance issues and a loss of top speed I REALLY the least you can expect from an accident like that.

Schumacher is a w*nk for letting Seb through, and right until the later SC, I has hoping that Button would suddenly brake and let Alonso through in response.

Lewis and Hulk was a racing incident. I smelled a bit of Maldonado, but quite frankly I think the penalty was a bit undeserved there.

Raikonen on Schumacher was an INCREDIBLE bit of racing. all three replays they showed had my jaw dropping. So close.

I felt like a traitor, but at some point I was shouting at the TV that Jenson should spin/crash, just so Seb doesn't get the triple WDC

14. Krikkit

Haha, me too! I was hoping for a puncture on the last lap so that he'd drop back behind Alonso but still get across the line. :D

15. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Oh no, it's happened again...

I can haz talking parrot called Cosworth? :D

16. Krikkit

I lol'd heartily at that, I've really enjoyed the Tooned series, hopefully it's back next year.

17. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

And this is why we need Kimi :

18. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

He finished with the most points therefore he earned the title. All this "driver x is more deserving" talk is all bollocks. McLaren should have walked away with the title this year and completely blew it. RBR on the other hand knuckled down and did what was needed to win.

Seb doesn't bother me too much, at least he has a bit of personality. Christian Horner is still a cock though.

B1GBUD likes this.
  19. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Kimi is hilarious:

20. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

QFT