1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs Good time to buy a TV?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sotu1, 28 Nov 2012.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Hi guys,

About to buy a Sony Hx8 55 inch TV but I'm wondering if that's a good idea for 3 reasons:

1 - Should I wait for the January sales? I don't know if TVs even come down in price at high end.
    2 - Should I wait for the next model and get that one?
    3 - I'm hearing a lot of chatter about Sony struggling against Samsung's rise in quality and cheap prices. I don't think Sony is going under but I can see them selling off less profitable divisions (eg, the TV division), which is a concern when my TV is planned to last me for many years.

What's your thoughts?

2. halfinched

halfinched What's a Dremel?

There's never a good time, there's always a sale coming, there's always a new model released 4 weeks after you buy whatever it is you want to buy it's called sod's law.

Personally I reckon you find the thing you want and are happy with, find a price you are willing to pay for it and then get it. No point worrying about the rest.

3. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Even if they do they will still honour the warranty period so I wouldn't worry about that at all.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I'd definitely wait for the January sales! There are usually some stonking deals about, particularly on the high end models.

Keep an eye out on HotUKDeals - best place for AV bargains.

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Use a credit card for Section 75 protection!

6. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

WTF is a section 75!?? Sounds American! I'm in England :)

7. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Ok, so checked out Sec. 75. Looks good. Will be buying that TV in January.

Do credit cards offer price guarantees I wonder....

8. Silent_Raider

Silent_Raider What's a Dremel?

Check out Decide.com. It's US-based and will give you prices in USD, but it tells you if a new model is expected and when, price prediction for the next few weeks, and ratings curated from several different sites.

I think they recently went to a subscription based model, but you can still check it out I think. If not, it's definitely worth the couple dollars to tell you what you'll save by buying now or waiting.

9. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

I'd wait till January, if its in the sale then great, if not then if you're happy then snap it. Once you got it set up you won't care about what's around the corner anyway - I never do!

10. RocketPotato

RocketPotato What's a Dremel?

That's a really good suggestion!

11. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

**** it. bought. 55 inch tv with wireles surround sound and bond collection + spider man collection + 5 yrs free warranty on all kit is on its way :D

12. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

My advice - don't look at any TV's for the next year now, if not longer.

I saved £1000 on a TV by waiting until boxing day, found it £100 cheaper around 6 months later, still had the "If I had only waited" feeling. A year later Panasonic released their new latest and greatest model, still had the "If I had only waited" feeling. Only recently, ~4 years on, have I accepted that it's "old", secretly hoping it would give up the ghost for an excuse to replace it and start the cycle over again and covertly (from the Mrs, that's what incognito mode is for, right?) tracking the best prices and deals on Panny's latest and greatest 65'ers...

13. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

That is great advice. Once I have made the purchase I stop looking at all AV review sites and publications to avoid the desire to upgrade.

14. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

You saved a grand by waiting til sales? That much?!

£100 difference I can deal with/not care about but a grand I'd be kicking myself in the nuts over!

15. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Something like me now... I have a 5 year old LCD TV which needs 240W, it's only 1366x768, HDMI needs manual EDID override on the computer side or it won't be detected; looking at SAMSUNG PS51E6500 for some time now but i just can't decide to buy it. One of the reasons is that i live right now on 6th floor in a apartment with super small elevator (2-3 persons max) and i am moving to my own in about a year (or a few months more). Moving that TV here will be OK as the shop where i would buy it delivers it not just to the front door, but to your TV desk if needed (they even install it, if the customer requires it), but moving it on my own to my new apartment one year later will be bad :D.

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Thats what I was talking about, last year, I saw a few LG and Sharp 55" TVs discounted by a grand or so post xmas (still talking from £2500 - £1500, but that remains a decent chunk of change)

Last edited: 3 Dec 2012
  17. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Yessir - £2500 to £1500 through a combination of straight up discount, voucher code rummaging and a multi-buy offer (with an HD-DVD player... just... don't) if my memory serves me correctly.

I'd recommend not looking at any sales whatsoever to avoid any undue nut-kickage

18. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

it's going to be a painful sales period!