1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Best Tablet post Chrismas

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Modsbywoz, 28 Nov 2012.

1. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Hey guys,

Want some advice on which would be the best tablet to buy during the January sales. I hate the iOS opperating system so would like something to run android.

Main uses would be streaming videos, work related stuff (email, calendar etc ) and a couple of simple games.

Any info welcome.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You have 4 choices,

1- Nexus 7 or 10 tablet device, form Google, powered by Android OS
    2- ASUS Android based device, like the prime series with a dock-keyboard keyboard which extends the battery of the device
    3- Microsoft Surface RT (or Pro if you want to run Windows programs you know and trust.. but that will be released in early 2013)
    3- ASUS Transformer powered by Windows RT device with the dock-keyboard addon.

The above are my recommendations.

However, I don't know which one will be on special. My time machine only works on a 1:1 ratio with the current time. :lol:

3. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

Currently i have been loving the nexus 7 i got recently. I have been really impressed with it.

I got the latest one (32GB, 3g)

4. rollo

rollo Modder

nexus 7 is the default andriod tablet of choice not a lot of point in paying double for anything else thats out there in the andriod line up.

Nexus 10 if you want a bigger screen.

Only other tablet worth buying is made by apple, Rest need time to get content going for them.

5. klausfinkel

klausfinkel What's a Dremel?

Nexus 7! The price dropped for the 16gb and 32gb, I'm getting the latter version next week! I had the chance to try it myself and I was simply blown away by it.

6. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I'm waiting on a Nexus 7 at the moment. Estimated dispatch date 3 Dec. £200 from ebuyer for the 32gb one. Well impressed seeing as the 16gb one disappeared from the 200 deal.

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

The 7 is a great little tablet, it just integrates itself into your life and doesn't require much tinkering to customise the way you want it. Just like the iPad, but different in execution. One assumes the 10 will be the same thing but bigger and better.

But if you like tinkering, then prepare to open a pandora's box of options. Nothing is more customisable/hackable than Android if you know what you're doing.

8. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

No kindle love? That would be my weapon of choice.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Kindle is great for book reading but id struggle to recommend there tablet versions.

10. GoodBytes

Surface Pro (Windows 8 Pro, Intel Core i7 Ivy Bridge CPU, digitize pen support, 10-point multi-touch screen, micro SD card slot for storage expansion, 1080p PLS display (Samsung IPS variation), 64GB or 128GB SSD, 4GB of RAM, USB 3.0 port, and mini-DisplayPort for proper multi-screen support (up to 2560x1440), will be only 899$.

11. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

No one can over the Nexus ;)

12. rici1241

rici1241 Minimodder

13. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I like the Nexus 7/10 but common no card reader WTF!!!! and 200 £ more for a Tablet with one, its a bit much to ask no?

14. rollo

rollo Modder

Surface pro is an ultrabook with touch capability, they are even making you buy a keyboard for it.

15. Silent_Raider

Silent_Raider What's a Dremel?

As everyone else has said, Nexus 7 if you want an Andriod tablet.

Also, the Microsoft Surface RT is a great little piece of hardware. It's very solidly built. We have recently started using them at work, and they are excellent productivity tools.

It comes down to if you want Andriod or Windows 8 RT.

16. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

LOL. $899 and a four hour battery life. It might be able to run your desktop apps but basic email/calendar usage is going to kill it as a usable work machine.

Okay the Apple devices have the best battery life (11/13 hours) but the Nexus 7 will do over 10+ which is a busy days usage.

4? 4 Hours?? 4 Smegging hours!!

It has a battery that won't see you past lunchtime and they call it 'Pro' ? Oh yeah, it's pro because it'll run Outlook and attach to an AD. Better bring that power adaptor with you to those meetings!

17. GoodBytes

4-5h, and it's common with all ultrabooks. Battery life mentioned by Microsoft is on the safe, not stretched. Considering that most ultrabooks are significantly bigger too than 10inch, Surface Pro is battery is really good. Also, it's power adapter is small (unlike ultrabooks, where it's a brick), and its really fast at recharging. Microsoft really used some high quality battery.

The Surface is suppose to have 8h of battery life. Toms hardware got 10h playing video
    [​IMG]

Yes at doing what? playing iOS Clock App, or watching the most choppy menu navigation on Android? or watching a video which you spend 2h to convert as you can't install any codecs that you need.
    Also, can it run Office? No, ok. Oh you guys have OpenOffice!!!! Wait only a reader... hmm ok.
    How about simply connect it to a second screen? No.
    How about having a desktop, ultrabook, and tablet all in one? Nope as well... ok...
    How about OneNote? You know to write notes on the go, or class notes and have your notes super well organized, clean, and allow you to search through them, and include recorded segments, and have everything sync between your systems? No... Well I guess you have Evernote... it has half the features of OneNote.. and you get to write notes with your finger, or the thickest pen in the world. I guess it's an interesting attempt.
    How about free music streaming of 30 million+ songs? no... Hmm Ok... How about running your desktop apps, you know, use it as a laptop, as what convertible Android based device suggest? No. Well what I can I say.

You can't do anything beside playing Angry Birds. OH NO WAIT!!!!! Android alloys you to put these cool 3D background on the main menu! W000t!!!! Ok you win there, you can't do that in any Windows base device.

Oh and Windows 8 can run Windows RT apps. So, you don't miss on them as well.

Surface Pro is 3 devices in one. Android and iOS are just 1. Yes you have the ASUS transformer, where you can turn it into a laptop. But the interface doesn't adapt itself to mouse and keyboard. Windows RT/8 does. If you used Windows 8 on your desktop, you'll see how it all works smartly, and this is just Microsoft first version. Android have been at it since ages, and can't compete. Adding mouse support doesn't magically fix things.

Typical, 0 argumentative fanboy comment.

Last edited: 30 Nov 2012
    Silent_Raider likes this.
  18. Silent_Raider

Silent_Raider What's a Dremel?

It's not out yet and hasn't been review, so how do we know what the battery life will be?

Also, you can't really compare it to the iPad, since it is running a real CPU with more RAM. Power consumption for an i5 will never be as low as an ARM CPU, but it will destroy it in processing power.

The closest comparison we have right now is the HP Slate 2, which ran an Intel Atom CPU and got 8 hours of battery life. http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-Slate-2-Wi-Fi-3G-Tablet.69999.0.html

19. SixKi113r

SixKi113r What's a Dremel?

I just bought a Kindle Fire HD for the wife Christmas present, I have an iPad, personally I think the Fire is pretty damn good

20. rollo

rollo Modder

Closest comparison is the MacBook Air that it competes against, and it has 7-9hrs in my daily usage of one( macbook air that is)(word excel photoshop and a few other program's odd bit of music is a typical day to day)

It's what I currently carry around, surface pros main issue will be weight and battery life.

Battery life of 4hrs if that's doing office tasks its in trouble, air from my own usage is 7-9hrs
    Weight is currently estimated close to 2 pounds. My 13.3inch air only weighs 2.5 pounds and that's with a keyboard and a much bigger screen.

Sorely tempted now to buy a retina MacBook Pro