1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2012 Thread - Post season

Discussion in 'General' started by alastor, 7 Dec 2011.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This. Different teams are different teams. Within a team is fine - they are under one constructor in the championship. What if Mr Red Bull just buys up HRT and Force India so any race is a glide to the front for the RBRs?

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'm one of the proper old fashioned types who thinks all team orders and race manipulation should be outlawed. I'd love to see 24 cars on the grid being driven by hot headed individuals driving for themselves like it was in the 50s and 60s (or touring cars in the 90s).

Never happen I know, the money at stake is just too silly, but it'd be great to watch.

David likes this.
  3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

+1

I also understand that team orders will happen regardless of legality.

So, while the gearbox trick was inspired and completely within the rules, it left a bitter taste in the mouth. They were up front about it, at least, but I didn't like it; and I wanted Alonso to take the WDC (even though I'm not a fan).

Nothing can be done about Schumacher's decision to let him through, every driver is within their rights to let a faster car past. Di Resta has done this several times this year, because he realises that three or four laps defending against a much faster car, that will inevitably get by, will only slow him down and widen the gap to the cars he is realistically racing.

The Torro Rosso thing is implied at best and not enforceable under the rules. Unless I am mistaken, there is no evidence of instructions, via radio or otherwise, to their drivers not to impede Vettel or Webber. Of course, we all assume that there is a clear understanding in place between the teams - even the commentators talk about it - but proving that is the case is an entirely different matter.

I heard James Allen on the radio this morning explaining why Ferrari's complaint wouldn't be upheld - all that says to me is the flag/light/track condition indicator system needs to be simplified. Otherwise, it just fans the flames of the conspiracy theorists who think RBR is getting away with murder.

5. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Here's the vid from JA's site:

Look on the left - the marshall's tower, someone is waving a flag. I can't make out the colour, but as it's dark, it can only be a Green. Wouldn't be blue.

PANTS. Stampifoot keeps the trophy, and teddy.

6. GreatOldOne

Official - FIA deem overtake legal:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20541589

OK. Now that's cleared up, what's to be done about the mismatched signalig on track?

Race control is in charge of signalling, right? So instead of having the marshals wave the flags, get panels at every marshals station. Charlie controls the panels, and the marshals are feeding back to him local conditions and incidents. That keeps it consistent - because the Vettel incident wasn't. It was yellows all the way on the right hand side down to the corner after the straight, where the green was on the inside, bar a green waved flag half way down the track on the left hand side...

Keep the flags for back up, and waving at the drivers on the slow down lap.

Right, where's my $500,000 consultation fee, Jean?

7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

That sounds like a plan, GOO.

In other news, rumors are now suggesting that Kobayashi may replace Grosjean at Lotus. Not sure I like that idea. I liked Grosjean (when he didn't crash).

Also: RBR will be "Infinity Red Bull Racing" next year.

8. GreatOldOne

It was bound to happen - they've had Stampifoot shilling that god awful looking SUV all year.

9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I'll just leave this here...

GreatOldOne likes this.
  10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

It would be dead easy, just ban pit radios.

Drivers get messages from race control and nobody else, if the teams want to issue orders, they have to use the pit board.

It won't stop orders, but it would stop that annoying micro-management and 'don't race that guy' messages.

11. GreatOldOne

Good 'ole Simpsons "12 Yards Long, 2 lanes wide, 65 tons of American Pride - Canyonero!" :lol:

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Actually, I was going for the line "It's the countrified truck endorsed by a clown - CanyoneroOoOOo!" :D

13. rici1241

rici1241 Minimodder

Its official. HRT will not be present next year. Not really much of a surprise

14. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

And not something most of us will lose any sleep over.

15. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Shame it took so much to get Karthikeyan off the grid.

16. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Now to win the Euro Millions and buy HRT... :p

17. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

It's gotten to the stupid point where teams will have a driver because they bring in tons of money. I'm sorry to bring up this argument again, but it's silly that someone as dangerous as Karthikeyan or Maldonado have places on the grid because of PDVSA or Tata. Mind you, I was pretty shocked when I saw Heikki Kovalinen was earning £3.6 mil a year at Caterham, whilst Petrov got £400,000

18. rollo

rollo Modder

good ridence to bad rubish is all ill say in relation to HRT

paid drivers also need to disapear quickly.

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I doubt we'll ever see the back of "paying" drivers. When the likes of Maldonado arrives with $29 million worth of sponsorship, there will always be a team that will take him on.

In the case of Maldonado himself, he's clearly got a fair amount of raw talent; he's just a bit of a tool behind the wheel. If money was not the issue, I'd expect Williams to retain Senna instead.

I remember Vettel being pretty crashtastic one season - now he has three WDCs, so hot-headed drivers can mature and improve.

20. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

All drivers have a certain element of being 'pay drivers'. Alonso brings ferrari a whole heap of cash from santander...