1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Adblock is your friend :thumb:

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I use it at home, stuck with IE when I'm in the office.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'm intrigued. Care to explain the hate?

Just googled iOne and found the board - the Scorpius-U9Plus.

4. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

IE click on tools, Safety, Tracking protection and enable it and then download Fanboy definitions and all adverts will be gone :thumb:

YEHBABY likes this.
  5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

No issues with my QPAD here, feels pretty solid (not as solid as a Filco, but not far off), that is the MK-50 though, so no backlight jiggery-pokery. One complaint I do have is the weird keyboard layout makes it a pain for swapping the keys.

6. David

Do you mean the use of the function key for access to media shortcuts and macros?

I'm not all that bothered about extra keys, and the profiles feature will more than cope with any extra bits I need. I'm just looking for a compact, yet full-sized, mechanical board with full backlighting - so I'm hoping this fits the bill.

YEHBABY likes this.
  7. el2k

el2k Modder

Can someone explain topre to me please? I'm thinking of treating myself to a realforce for Christmas. (Would get a hhkb but I still game a lot and I just feel the fn layer won't work well for that)

My favourite mx switch is reds.

What's the business with 45g, 55 etc and variable?

Cheers in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

g weights are uniform, so the actualization weight is 45g on every key. Variables has differing amount of force required to press keys based on distance from 'home' hand position AFAIK!

9. GeorgeK

45g / 55g is the weight of the switch (like blacks are heavier than reds) - variable boards are exactly that - the weight of the switches vary across the board. The keys closer to the centre of the boards (where you have your stronger fingers) are heavier and the keys further from the centre are lighter. I quite like the idea but I don't type entirely properly and so it may not be the most use for me...

GK

10. el2k

el2k Modder

Thanks for the info guys, do the topre 'switches' have a tactile or linear feel?

I see what you're saying about the variable and I can see where they are coming from, but much like you George I don't think it would work for me due to bad typing habits.

Thanks for the info lads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. GeorgeK

They're tactile but I think it's the rubber domes that provide the tactility (is that a word?) More here:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Topre_switches

Longweight would be the best to answer as he has a topre board... I think Hamza may too - he certainly has one switch at least in the switchtester bag that he's selling in the marketplace

12. Krikkit

Well on my MK-50 (I'm not sure if the layouts are different, probably not), the modifiers (Space row) are all a weird size to accommodate the Fn key, so I've ended up with a bit of a weird mishmash on that row to put blank caps on.

All this talk of Topre is making the want rise again.

13. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Topre isn't really either, it has an initial resistance and then a smooth motion down. I have never seen it described properly you just need to try it out!

14. David

According to a review, the Fn key replaces the right Windows Key on the MK-85. Is that different to yours? I must admit that custom keycaps are not on my list of priorities, but maybe that will change over time.

The Passat has just failed it's MOT, so I may not have the spare cash to buy the board afterall. I need to see what miracles a mechanic mate of mine can perform, to keep the dream alive. ;)

YEHBABY likes this.
  15. Krikkit

Layouts look the same to me - it's just the fact that the keys are slightly odd sizes, being just the wrong shape for most key kits.

If you don't mind looking at the QPAD font, go for it. Personally I bought it to customise without realising just how tricky it could be. Nice board though, the rubbery casing is very nice.

16. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

17. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Still looking for a Poker. Even if it doesn't have switches or keycaps, I want it. Anything will do!

18. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

'waves fire poker at KidMod' ~ Only 50 dollar. One time price only! goooood deal yes!

19. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Damn you Lysol.

*must resist*

20. monkeydud

monkeydud What's a Dremel?

Just got the SteelSeries 6Gv2. While it may be a basic gaming mech keyboard I love it! Even more so at £49