1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Omega Desk - [26 January] Project Complete!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Squigly, 20 May 2012.

?

Pump orientation, facing forward or facing backwards?

1. Pumps facing backward

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. Pumps facing forward

19 vote(s)
    55.9%
  1. Squigly

Squigly MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Gots me a new toy today
    [​IMG]

Since i am not making my own bezels i wont be useing the hinge system I was working on, so got a triple monitor stand
    [​IMG]

Am really happy with the stand, wont be using the bottom foot on the desk as it will be incorporated to the piece i turned before, but can handle both portrait and landscape modes easily without to much fussing
    [​IMG]

the bezel in landscape is much better, as the monitors have a slightly thicker bottom bezel
    [​IMG]

still on for starting final build on the desk this weekend *happy dance*

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

3. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Very nice Squigly! Looking forward to the next update!
    What wall mount is that if I may ask?

4. Squigly

Thanks gents!! Blade its actually a desk stand, the foot of the stand wont be used in final build though, you can see it here

5. Squigly

Ok so i was all *happy dance* about getting a major update done today.. Was expecting my parts back from the powder coaters, unfortunately due to some power outages they had had recently they were further behind that i thought.. so not even a single part was delivered back...

So all I could really do was finish work on the screen stand mount, Since the intention was to use a 76mm diameter pipe for the central stand when i was planning my own screen cases. Now the problem was the central stand for this new system works off a 36mm pipe, much smaller than my original 76mm, and I didn't really want to throw that piece i had machined away..

So this is how the stand is by default, I needed to remove the large foot piece to incorporate it into the previous stand
    [​IMG]

And the stand that i had machined before, you can see the 3 grub screws i had put in that were to hold the original 76mm pipe, that flat pieces near the bottom slot between parts of the frame, and the bottom plate is bolted on to secure it to the frame.
    [​IMG]

So what I ended up doing (as luckily I still had some material left over) was machining a piece with a 76mm OD and a 36mm ID :cool: I also added grub screw to that so i could secure this plug onto the main pipe and then use the original grub screws to secure the plug to the main stand... I also machined some other area's to make the two fit together nicely
    [​IMG]

I also added a slot into the pipe for cables for monitors, keyboards etc to be routed into the main case
    [​IMG]

Ok so these are the parts now for the main stand
    [​IMG]

To illustrate, the plug secured to the pipe with 3 grub screws
    [​IMG]

And the plug secured in the main stand
    [​IMG]

So was happy i could at least find a solution to the new screen stand, I am also officially on leave until next year :shaky: so should the powder coating be completed i will be around in a flash to pick it all up!!!

Thought I would also include some shots of the screen stand as it is by default, screens are set in landscape for now.
    [​IMG]

I really like the arm system on this stand as it fits the desk theme pretty well (view from back)
    [​IMG]

well.. thats about it then till i get the all important call...

6. elAwesome

elAwesome What's a Dremel?

This monitor stand is awesome. What model is it?

Edit: I'm an idiot. Thanks.

Last edited: 1 Dec 2012
  7. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

Indeed a lovely stand!
    To bad they aren't available here in Holland :/ (I think)

8. Squigly

Thanks guys!! l3p im pretty sure you could get it there, as far as i know its not a local brand ;-)

Right so no word from powder coating, but I did get a call from the nickle plating place :rock: was amped to pick them up, now they were all sealed and I only got a look at the waterblock plates and all seemed good.. anyways i got home and eagerly unwrapped the pipes.. at first glance it looked as if they had sanded the pipes even though i had polished them to a mirror finish.. was LESS than impressed.. :wallbash: anyways I got the buff out and just tried with the drill machine.. luckily they buff to a nice smooth finish so may have just been the coating process.. I am really hoping so.. will pop into the workshop 2morrow so i can buff them properly on the lathe..

anyways here you can see the finish i got from them on the right and the pipe on the left i buffed a bit, must say the buffed pipe is looking rather yummy.. hopefully they all turn out nice and mirror..
    [​IMG]

So anyways back to the block, as a reminder the block was originally copper and acetal as can be seen here
    [​IMG]

the plates fresh back from nickle
    [​IMG]

And mounted
    [​IMG]

I really like the look now and will fit in so well with the build
    [​IMG]

Will do an update 2morrow with the polished pipes...

9. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

What building is that in the background. It looks so familiar, just can't quite place it.

Other than that, the piping looks really good. Assembly time must come faster :D

10. Squigly

Tell me about it!!! Its apartments in Sandton, forget the name of them

Ok so headed into the workshop to get the pipes properly buffed and to what they should be, As mentioned before i am using a lathe to assit me here, so have the buff in the chuck and then hod the pipes by hand, can get a little tricky and the pipes get SUPER hot, even with welding gloves on..
    [​IMG]

Spent most of the day polishing the pipes, really wanted them to have a nice mirror finish, and after a full day of toasty hands, this is the result..
    [​IMG]

A little closer :)
    [​IMG]

Ahh but wait... what is that, that the pipes are resting on????
    [​IMG]

yup, thats all the parts back from the powder coater on the dining table (da wife gave me a look for doing that :p ) Took a break today from polishing to walk over to the powder coater, they are across the street from the factory luckily just to check in to see how it was going, to be pleasantly surprised that it was all finished and I could collect :dance: unfortunately I had to leave the frame back at the workshop but arranged for it to be delivered tomorrow so i can build away over the weekend
    [​IMG]

The_Gnu likes this.
  11. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

Where/How did you get the block nickle plated? Was it copper before?

12. mal

mal What's a Dremel?

Squig,

When you get to it could you post how you bleed your system? I too am planning a desk type build, and am not looking forward to tipping such a large piece of furniture to remove air bubbles.

Mal

13. Squigly

Yup i had them coated, they were copper before, I used a local company here that also did my copper pipes ;)

Will do bud, I normally find the bubbles tend to sort themselves out after a day or so, but will be sure to post any "special" attempts I have at bleeding

Ok so first of the final images, been a long time coming so just a few teasers for now :p
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

more soon
    Squigs out :rock:

14. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

Ohhhh boy .. Can't wait!

15. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

The plating on those pipes looks top notch :thumb:.

16. dotdrew

dotdrew What's a Dremel?

The plating on those pipes looks fantastic after buffing, can't wait to see it all put together.

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

The pipes polished up real nice :D:dremel::jawdrop: congrats & can't wait for the final shots. :D

18. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

can't wait to see it all together. this wait is gonna be as bed a christmas eve!

19. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Sweet buffing going on there.
    I have to say I'm a bit jealous at the moment, getting parts back from treatment is like christmas. Sharpen your screwdriver, fill up the fridge with beverage of choise and have a nice weekend of assemblying.

Awsome project, and rep + for doing a desk with a pretty challenging shape.

20. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

MOAR UPDATES. !! :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2