1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education What model are you building?

Discussion in 'General' started by KayinBlack, 14 Dec 2012.

1. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Shipping can be quite expensive but provided you buy lots of things at once and go for SAL rather than EMS (with the added bonus of being less likely to be charged customs charges) it doesn't get too expensive.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Group buy from HLJ?

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

shipping on single items isnt THAT bad compared to what it costs to get the same kit here in the uk, its about 250% more expensive here.

4. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Ebay is pure win, used the basket option to order 17 different paints from the same seller and now I have to leave 17 feedbacks. Come Wednesday, I have the feeling that 17 different bubble mailers are going to shop up at my door. Pictures will surely ensue if that happens.

It will be good for my ebay feedback profile though.

Forgot to say aswell- I adore your photos gunsmith!

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

found a few pics of of my massive Perfect Grade Strike kit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

just shy of 650 parts this beast took me 3 months to build,

and in case you wanted to see just insane it is, this guy has a awesome gallery of its internal structure

best £180 I've spent on a kit

6. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

It's still about £10-15. Not so bad on big items but on small things it can hurt; I was stung pretty badly shipping a few Light Novels from Japan to America (long story) - £25 shipping for £15 of goods.

Also, long shot, but does anyone know any good paces to find backdated anime figurine garage kits? There's a particular one I've been looking for for a while, it's by Volks I believe.

7. KidMod-Southpaw

Awesome! Have you any extra plans of your own for the interior of the FXX? Things like homemade seatbelts are always nice. :)

8. KidMod-Southpaw

It is good day!

[​IMG]

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Quite a nice collection there! If you're thinning a little with water be very conservative with how much you use. Or you can get some proper acrylic thinner.

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I always wanted a perfect grade 1:60 Astray Red frame (Gundam for those not into it.. Not that I am, really), but only ever put the SD one and the 1:144 scale ones together.

Tbh, thinning tamiya I always use alcohol based thinners, I know the paint does wash off with water, but I find the alcohol based stuff works better.

11. KidMod-Southpaw

I'm going to be giving Tamiya's own thinner a try first. That depends on whether I actually do any airbrush work in this weather.

12. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

thats awesome mate +rep

whats the import duty like on them ? can imagine that it would get rather expensive

13. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

of the kits ive ordered nearly all of them got through just fine, i got stung on the perfect grades tho, but then they are massive.

14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Old shoebox, 120 (Or 140 if you have one spare), some ducting, and some thin sponge - cheap, reasonably reliable, spray station :p

That's how I spray in the house, anyway.

15. KidMod-Southpaw

Sweet, thanks. I do need to do a lot more research first into the BMW before I decide if there's any extra or custom paintwork I want/ need to do with an airbrush. We'll see.

16. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

post those tool boxes!

[​IMG]

17. KidMod-Southpaw

Nice! I need to get one sorted for myself! I've been on a buying spree with nowhere to put the stuff...

18. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Oh I totally blitz the "post modelling toolboxes" competition :D This is, as we've discussed before, an expensive, addictive but frankly awesome hobby! Photos of my stuff to come later in the week, am elbow deep in the control boards of a Komatsu tele-hoist tonight :rolleyes:

Yes Kidmod, I have some nice plans for the FXX interior! I'm doing this one in the standard colour (red) with the photoetch parts, but I have another one waiting in the wings to be done when this one is finished. This one will have a twist. I'll just leave this here :)

Last edited: 19 Dec 2012
  19. KidMod-Southpaw

That's bloody gorgeous! :jawdrop:

20. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

As the restoration out in the garage has paused for Christmas, I decided to start another car restoration, but inside, and a little smaller, :D

Stripped down a 300SL that I made ages ago, and very poorly.

Already started painting bits, and when the weather gets better, so next year, I'll spray the body shell. I'm trying to cut out one of the doors so I can hinge it, or fix it in the open position, but it's proving tricky to cut the plastic.

[​IMG]