1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Internet Explorer bug tracks your mouse cursor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 13 Dec 2012.

1. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

I am sure this would be useful for advertisers but you can already track a mouse position in JS. The only difference here is that it happens even outside of the IE window. It's a bug but I think its been overhyped.

Say for example you had a site open with this script loaded that tracked your mouse movements, how will it know what it is that you are moving your mouse over on the screen?

It should be patched but I think its not critical compared to exploits that allow executing malicious code and things like that

2. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

That's an interesting statement. Any idea which browsers?

3. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

No other browsers are mentioned by name I wonder if he is just stirring things up or scaremongering? If Mozilla, Google etc, deny it he might have to prove it or eat his words!

4. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

Yeh, sounds a little fishy....if it isn't true then could be an interesting time ahead, but it may as some folks have said quite difficult to know exactly where the cursor is hovering or what its clicking....so it may have been considered a minimal risk exploit and folks have not bothered to patch as a general rule.....I wonder if there is an browser add-on or app that actually utilises such a feature as part of the browser design?

5. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

Approaching this issue from a slightly different angle there is a Firefox add-on called "Ghostery".

"Ghostery sees the "invisible" web, detecting trackers, web bugs, pixels, and beacons placed on web pages by Facebook, Google Analytics, and over 1,000 other ad networks, behavioral data providers, web publishers - all companies interested in your activity".

I'm going to give it a try, probably quite daunting when you find out just how intensely your surfing is monitored and what these companies do is apparently not illegal but the opportunities for exploitation are obvious, even if a site is https which protects against Man-in-the-middle attacks if some kind of cursor tracker/keylogger has been hidden in the page just how safe are you when entering personal/card details :worried:

6. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    There is this one too: Collusion
    The web it creates its interesting to look at.

7. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

This only works IF SCRIPTS ARE ENABLED!