1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Is there anyone making an order at Farnell?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ferret141, 30 Oct 2012.

1. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

2. identikit

identikit Minimodder

If you can't find anyone with a Farnell acc, I think other stores like Conrad will have them, bit more expensive tho. Good luck!

3. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Thanks for the suggestion identikit. Conrad's serach system isn't too great so it looks like it will take me a while to find what I'm looking for.

EDIT: They have something with the right characteristics but in a different size to what I need.

It's looking like I will have to suck it up and buy 10 at £5.28 from RS

Last edited: 11 Nov 2012
  4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

5. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

I have an RS store near mu uni i'll check on tuesday for you if you like???

6. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

What were your search terms?

Thank you very much for your kind offer but I have one near me too and they offer free delivery in the first place.

Here's why I need them:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had a spare DG834N lying around the house and my mate wanted to get more out of his line and his ageing Speedtouch wasn't up to the job so I lent the Netgear router to him.
    He managed to get an even better sync at really low SNR on his line using the Netgear but it was overheating. He had a couple of spare chipset and AGP heatsinks lying around so I gave him the go ahead to stick them on. Long story short the heatsinks were sitting loose before being glued and at some point the router was moved and a heatsink took out one of the inductors. He's paying for the components to fix it but so far the repair is looking uneconomical since the router barely costs £15 on eBay.
    It's part of the ADSL balancing circuit so I only need two. Four at most.

Prices so far:
    • eBay: [~£2 ea]
    • RS: £5.28 for 10 [£0.44 ea](no smaller quantities, thus total cost gets ramped up)
    • Conrad: £6.73 for 2 inc shipping [£0.39 ea] - This was promising since their office is close to me but components come from Germany so shipping must be paid or so they said on the phone
    • Farnell: 32p for the two I need [£0.16 ea] - But there's a £20 minimum spend for non-account customers hence I was hoping someone had an account with them or was making an order.

You can see why the repair is looking uneconomical.

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

8. WALKYRIE

WALKYRIE What's a Dremel?

I already ordered in the Farnell online shop two times in the past Months, and both orders were between 20 and 30 pounds (not much), I was surprised when I realised the shipping cost of both orders was for free, I still don't understood why was for free :confused:

9. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Farnell does free shipping. Only problem is you have to spend a minimum of £20.

I had nothing else to buy from there and 32p is very far from £20.
    So I was looking for someone who was making an order large enough who didn't mind ordering the two components and then posting them to me.

I could have tried getting the components elsewhere but it would cost me over £4. Which is like half the value of the router I'm trying to fix. Which would mean fixing it is not really worth it.