1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Headphones

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by towelie, 13 Dec 2012.

1. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

2. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

My personal suggestion (And pretty much what I use) Would be a set of Asus Vulcan ANC's, for £77, and a Asus Xonar DS.

The headset itself surprised me in it's quality, and matched to a better sound card than I already own would probably be nice.

That's in your budget range, so long as you don't mind installing a soundcard. I'm not a big fan of USB headsets, anyway. (Although you can detach the USB on that particular set)

towelie likes this.
  3. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

AKG 271 MK2 + any mic. Dont cheap on they ways you interface with you PC.

4. Jimmy6

Jimmy6 What's a Dremel?

Agree about the AKGs + mic - absolutely awesome bits of kit, but they're a bit more expensive than the OP's budget. I wouldn't bother with a "gaming" headset, that's just an excuse to add a premium to the price of an average set of headphones. And definitely steer away from anything purporting to offer 3D sound, or 5.1/7.1 effects - they simply do not work. I've owned a couple of sets now, and each one has been returned for the poor sound quality.

If I was you, I'd have a look on HIFI review sites or something like that. eBay might find you a cheap pair of AKGs - the cheapest I can find is £115
    http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/recor...012812330512&gclid=CPLOmKf2l7QCFURY3godDH0AVg
    If you find a cheap mic for less than a fiver then you're in budget!

towelie likes this.
  5. Jimmy6

Jimmy6 What's a Dremel?

6. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I just bought a Blue Snowball ICE Mic. £47 from amazon. So good its unreal. Will be making a audio review tomorrow.

I plan in buying some HD598's £120 also from amazon. Whilst this is over your budget. I have used a cheap Mic and can say whilst it worked it was extremely poor quality.

towelie likes this.
  7. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

If you want a headset, go ebay and you can get either as new, new or almost new PC360s or PC350s for under £100 no problem.

The PC350 about £70 leaving enough for a soundcard, I recommend a refurbished X-Fi XtremeGamer

8. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

wonder how it compares to my mic. (see sig)

9. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I was going to buy one those but decided on the Blue Snowball Ice it is supposed to be a good mic.

10. BrightCandle

BrightCandle What's a Dremel?

You can get a modmic to convert any headphones into a reasonable headset. Even the PC360s are a bit rubbish in sound quality. Just preorder them from the website, they have stock but it takes a couple of weeks to arrive since its from the US.

11. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Depends what you compare them to, but I agree they aren't worth the new cost.

They are more than worth the cost you can get them on ebay for, however. Top notch sound quality for £80.

N17 dizzi likes this.
  12. towelie

Thanks for all the assistance guys decided im going for the Asus Vulcan headphone(with free ASSASSINS creed 3 WIN)

Need help with a sound card never bought one before so struggling with all the tech spec of it all and I/0.

thinking either
    Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card with built in Headphone Amp

I assume a Headphone amp will help boosting the audio quality of the Vulcan?

As mentioned before i want good gaming music quality but nothing audiophile.

Far as i can tell this will work well?:thumb:

13. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SC-015-AS&groupid=701&catid=11&subcat=

for the longevity.

towelie likes this.
  14. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Yep it will work great, good choice! The amp on the DG won't be boosting any audio quality, it will just drive harder-to-drive headphones (at higher volumes than non-amped cards). With normal headphones it will just make them louder. To the best of my knowledge it's wasted on the Vulcans. But even ignoring the amp the DG is a pretty good card in general.

Personally prefer the X-Fi XtremeGamer refurbished at £25, had a nicer sound signature, bit more emphasised bass to my ears, but it's picky on whether it will work on your system or not (Creative Driver fun).

There's also the CMSS3D vs Dolby Headphone discussion but that's preference (I prefer the former).

towelie likes this.
  15. towelie

cheers dudes decision made(asus vulcan and xonar dg) ,rep added v.much appreciated.

One love bit-techys

16. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Ermmm, I may be wrong (most likely) but I would have thought there would no point buying the Xonar DG if you are going for a USB headset (as it effectively has a soundcard built in) as it will connect directly to a USB port and not go anywhere near the DG.

17. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Correct, USB will use its own drivers and not touch the soundcard the only time it would is if you used the 3.5mm jacks

18. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

The Vulcan has 3.5mm jack connections for the headphones/mic.

19. Ljs

Ljs Modder

But still, is there any point? Sound quality between the DG and USB are going to be negligible through that headset.

Save a few pennies towards another game or bit of kit tbh.

20. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Allow me to rephrase, the Vulcan only has 3.5mm connections.

It's the Vulcan Pro that has the USB connection with a little mini sound card thingy. Correct me if I'm wrong though.