1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elementary school shooting

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Sloth, 14 Dec 2012.

1. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

I, for one, am very happy that I live in a society where guns aren't as prevalent as in the US.

Four years ago, two burglars broke into my house while I was in my bedroom. One of them came into my bedroom and saw me. He ran. That's what you're average burglar is going to do. They're not interested in hurting someone, they just want to get in and out as quickly as possible. He didn't have a gun, as there was no need. He wasn't going to get shot by a homeowner "protecting his property" (since when has property been more valuable than anyone's life?).

What if the same had happened in a country where a significant proportion of people owned guns? Does it not make it more likely that the burglars would be armed? Would I be here today if that incident had happened to me in the States?

2. walle

walle Minimodder

Since when did the right to defend yourself, your family, and your property, suggest it would?

3. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

It didn't. A right cannot suggest something, people who are championing firearms to defends houses sometimes are.

Read this:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/dec/21/sacred-text-us-gun-habit

Bollox to your all-mighty constitution, it is outdated, to claim that you can't change the constitution is ridiculous, you are going on about the second AMENDMENT after all.

When the constitution was written - the US didn't even include most of the states.

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Why not remove the first amendment?

5. walle

walle Minimodder

Actually it can, and it did.

As for the rest of the ignorant nonsense you posted I'm not going to bother.

6. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

7. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

Like you didn't bother to respond to any of my other points.

8. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Or ant of the other posts with difficult questions!

9. walle

walle Minimodder

There were no points for me to respond to, sorry.

/Ninja edit
    If you refer to the article, well, what I read was an attack on the constitution and the 2nd amendment.

It was not the first time they came under attack, and it won't be the last.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2012
  10. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

you seem to be personifying what is just a written statement. The amendment was written to serve the people, and in a drmocatic country why is it not open to discussion? The people who wrote it are long dead and what should be decided is what is best now and for future generations.

while the points about needing a gun for defense hold some truths , if long term less guns were available this would not be true. For your children and grandchildren, you could achieve a much safer country.

11. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

In other words, you just confirmed what the whole article was about. For you the constitution is untouchable like a Holy Bible, while it should be a legal document.

12. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

For a lot of Americans, the Constitution ranks right up there with the Bible, along with their guns. I see it all the time. It is amazing how you just mention some reasonable changes, such as closing the gun show loophole so that all sales have background checks, and those people start yelling, "Don't take away my guns!" When you reiterate that you don't want to "take away their guns," it is like it goes through one ear and out the other.

Sad commentary on our society.

13. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

At least Moses claimed his commandments came from God.

I think.you're being optimistic there, Scirocco, I don't think it even goes in one ear. Well how could it when they have their fingers stuck in their ears going "Not listening! La la la"?

Last edited: 23 Dec 2012
  14. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Actually don't you mean their guns in their ears there's plenty of room in there for them :worried:

15. walle

walle Minimodder

Or someone who's worried about the current direction, a direction which has seen drastic changes made to the constitution with more being pushed for.

As a result the citizens have found themselves in a weaker position whereas the state has found itself in a stronger position. It should be the other way around.

16. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

The citizens who voted in the government (read state by your language) to represent them you mean? Well if "the citizens" are so fearful of the erosion of their rights why did they vote the current configuration in then? Or are you referring to a minority of citizens, a minority you seem to be a part of?

17. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Is it just paranoia or do you really believe your vote means more if you're armed to the teeth?

18. walle

walle Minimodder

I was speaking for myself when I said I was worried, I'm not representing anyone.

19. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I think you've both touched on a crucial part of the whole debate. When the subject of gun control comes up - or indeed any argument in which the Constitution is the subject - in a way you are also talking about the Bible. As much as we would like to consider the USA a country that has no official religion, it should be noted that pretty much every president been Christian. It's almost impossible to get elected without presenting the image of strong Christian principles. More to the point, as much as people would like to believe that the United States operates with a separation of church and state, consider the second paragraph of the Declaration of Independence (bold emphasis is mine):

When people talk about their 'God-given right to own guns,' you have to understand that in their world view the Constitution - which naturally followed from the Declaration of independence - outlines rights bestowed upon them by God himself. It's not necessarily hyperbole, and it's a very important consideration in any discussion regarding gun rights.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Ah, cool, so they're a bit like the Taliban, but with none of the bearded coolness? :p