1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Lean and Green - 15-12-14 - as complete as it's going to get

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 28 Jan 2012.

1. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

I just gave my teenage daughter a look at your case so far and she says it is "totally crazy and totally cool." She is impressed, as am I. This is looking outrageous Wayne. Just wow. :jawdrop:

2. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Ohhh, those last few photos made my day already :clap:

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Fantastic, man! I love the look of that naked aluminum:D

4. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Is any part of that case gold already o.r is it just the light? Cause I gotta say, gold anodizing would look amazing:thumbup:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You totally gotta take the final pics with that dual-color lighting. It really brings out the shape.
    And yeah, you gotta put mounting points in the model early. That's when you are figuring out the problems, after all.
    -For me it's like, "***, that guy who has to build this is going to kill me.":lol:

6. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Yeah I like the look of those panels where the light is such that it looks like some parts are orangey gold while other silver. Looks like your gonna set a new case weight record with all this nice thick alu

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Sorry for taking forever on replying, I needed a bit of a time out, this is mostly a status update & an early look at something I'm going to make as an interval project. :)

:D Thanks mate.

Thanks voigts & voigts daughter :D only problem with this project is it will make everything I do in the future look so bland, possibly. :hehe:

:) Awesome, thanks Bill. :D

:D Thanks phinix.

No it's all plain alu at the moment, just using a daylight bulb & a regular one which creates an interesting 2 tone effect, accidental cheesecake. :D

I considered buying a couple of those mood lights so I could make any colour, I'll be putting some decent effort into the final shots though, there will be so many interesting points of view to shoot on this when it's done, looking forward to it. :)

And wow, yeah I'll always include mounting points from now, will save sooooooo much messing about. :D

The bottom half has definitely got a heavy bottom like predicted :D but I will run through the whole design after it's all made to reduce weight where I can. :)

OK something new to add to the log. :eeek::rock:

Here is a preview of a HTPC I'm going to make before I continue with lean & green, it's for my dad & I want to get it completed before he gets home from Australia in February.

It holds mini-itx, sfx psu, 2x 2.5" HDD, 1 3.5" HDD, 140mm fan & marble power button new improved mini version, :D the form is simple & the cut work isn't complex so should be able to get it done quick once I start. :D

Because of where I made the psu sit I went with regular expansion slot height.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slot for ventilation under the motherboard.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got all the hardware & aluminium ready & waiting for action, everything in the design is covered this time so it should be a nice enjoyable project that I can quickly do before I step back into steep challenge mod lean & green.

I also upgraded my main rig to 2 670s in SLI after selling a bunch of parts I had getting no use :) but I lost my SLI bridge so had it performing as 1 card for a week, the SLI bridge I ordered came today though so I'm eager to have a good play with it, tried a run of 3dmark11 & heaven & wow it kills my previous 580, gave something like 3x the performance, so is an awesome upgrade. :D
    [​IMG]

Designed a dual layer homer eating his way out of the rig grill but I made the mesh holes too big so doesn't look too great, much smaller mesh holes & it should look OK, requires quite a bunch of hours to do though so some other time for perfecting this grill. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In more neutral colours.
    [​IMG]

With just getting the SLI bridge I'm going to resume modding on new years day or when the acrylic tube arrives so I can be 100% sure of accurate measurements, was going to get right onto it today or tomorrow but I only just completed this side project design & it would do me good to take some more days off so I can go at this new project mentally energised & not neglect my gamer side, would you believe I still haven't played all the way through the witcher 2 & I bought it on release day. :)

8. Squigly

Squigly MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Liking the design bud!! Super nice an compact! Looking forward to seeing this come together, enjoy the break and all the best for the festive season!! Now.. Go find you some nice whiskey to relax with ;-)

9. TeenGeek

TeenGeek Worst touch typing ever.

I have those two MSI cards in my PC! looks great, I'm really excited to see the miniature version of the marble power button. I used to watch a lot of the simpsons when I was younger :thumb:

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Squigly :) I've tweaked it more & pretty drastically too, typical thing I do when showing a new rig lol. :D
    I figured having 2 2.5" drives was a bit stupid so I've made the bottom level to have 2 3.5" drives with 1 of them being an internal HDD dock while relocating the SSD to the upper area, it's more packed out now & very nice. :)

All the best to you & family mate, I've not been a drinker since the turn of millennium though, been rare when I drink, pretty much always wired on coffee. :D

Yeah nice cards :) multi GPU has come a long way since I tried out crossfire when it was new lol, total rip off leaving me with a bad impression of multi GPU, you pay double now, you pretty much get double. :D:rock:
    The mini marble button will be a very cheap to reproduce button too, 16mm marble, tiny piece of acrylic tube & a few layers of acrylic sheet glued together with acrylic adhesive with basic cheap momentary switch. :)

Also had some sweet ideas on lighting for LAG so ordered the ingredients. :D

11. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

yeah, world of patience to try making that Homer grill by hand, but sweet design dude! :D

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:lol: I must have just got bored waiting for the SLI bridge with doing the homer grill, thanks Bill. :D

Here is the tweaked updated model with scrapped double 2.5" drives, relocated SSD which will also make cooling better & internal e-sata HDD dock replacing the double 2.5s which can be switched on/off with easy remove mini side panel, side & top panels plug in place with little rod stumps by the way so the slots cut out will provide grips to pull them out, front, back & bottom are screwed in place.

The rearrangement gave some more breathing space too. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

SSD relocation which will also aid in directing incoming air down to the motherboard.
    [​IMG]

HDD dock side has 2 side panels for quick easy access to the dock.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sliding spring loaded block with gripper.
    [​IMG]

Bit of structure hidden to show it better.
    [​IMG]

One more look before I do this thing.
    [​IMG]

I'll make it printable & then enjoy the rest of this year before getting into it, I might or might not start before new years day, depends on if I get a sudden urge to make something or game on until new year. :D

All the best everyone. :)

----

Calling this next mini project "Break time" & might even start it in the next days. :D

Last edited: 24 Dec 2012
  13. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

I'll be watching...

14. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Love the Homer grill. Maybe just make much smaller holes on the surface of Homer?

15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks voigts, it'll be on before new year. :)

:D Thanks Mads, yeah, needs smaller holes, maybe even 3mm holes.
    Main plan is to do no homer grill first though & to do that one if I really feel like it after making the new project but if I do do it I'll definitely include the update. :D

It's all ready for the printer, all 16 sheets.
    This can start any day now. :)

But assassin's creed 3 is shouting play me now, so I will, I just went sli 670s & they might be relics by the time I complete this lol. :)

I'll probably OD from playing too much today & then get onto the break time project tomorrow.

Thought up a better name for it too, it has more relevance to the pause of this project. :hehe:

16. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

Love the homer grill :D I quite like the small case. Planning a build of my own, just need to get some time to actually start :p
    Hope you had an awesome Christmas :thumb:

17. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

HTPC looks cool, maybe do the Homer grill for a birthday present, or something down the road if you didn't want to do it right away, or ran out of time before he gets back?

18. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

the picture with the new graphics cards:

- Do i see rust on the enermax metal plates around the TB silence fans ? It looks like there in rust on the inside of them.

[​IMG]

19. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

... no, it's copper...

My guess would be just dust

20. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

Right..only NewYears day left..then back to the goods.. eh mate! :D