1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Got a H60 for Christmas! Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Big-_-t0ny, 28 Dec 2012.

1. Big-_-t0ny

Big-_-t0ny What's a Dremel?

Alright guys, under the tree this year for me was a brand new Corsair H60, and some Noctua thermal paste.:thumb: Rushed to install my new cooler and booted into Windows to check the temps...they were higher than usual.:eyebrow: Checked the fan was plugged in and some other rubbish stuff, but I had to re-seat the block - it was only touching half the CPU!:wallbash:

Now properly installed, my 2500K is much cooler; 30 idle and 45-48 whilst broadcasting and playing Killing Floor (50% usage). Now, I also recieved a new SP120, so I plan to have a push/pull config, but I want some advice.

Currently, the fan is pulling cool air from outside and pushing it through the rad. Is this efficient for the rest of my components? Also, with both of the fans does it matter which is pushing and which is pulling? One last question, would it be worth using the Noctua pasted or dealing with the one applied by Corsair?:)

So far I'm really impressed, for only £60 it seems like a great deal, even though it was a tight squeeze in my case for some reason...anyway, advice shall be appreciatted!:cooldude:

2. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

I have a H70 and while the manual says to pull air in, it made no sense to me, so mine is set to pull out of the case. I'm not convinced either way makes that much of a difference (but then I haven't experimented at all).

On push/pull, I thought the fans used should be the same to keep the pressure and air-flow equal. I guess that I'd put the stronger fan in the push position if they are different.

I'm using the stock paste that was pre-applied to the heatsink, but then I was feeling lazy when I installed mine :)

3. Big-_-t0ny

Cheers! I imagine the direction doesn't matter as long as it gets rid of the air around the rad, and the 120mm included with the cooler is 'based off of' the SP120, so they're pretty similar. :)

4. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

I experimented with intake and exhaust on my h50. Couple of degrees better on intake was what I found. Ideally the fans should be identical or you'll get them fighting against each other.

5. Swanny

Swanny What's a Dremel?

I use the H70i, also set to push/pull. i think it depends on your case,i have mine drawing the air for outside and pushing into the case but i have 2 x 140mm exhaust fans on the top of the case.

My thinking is heat rises. If i had a solid top on my case i would probably have them running the other way and blowing inside to out.

Swanny

6. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

This thread is useless without clocks!

What you got the 2500k running at? If you say stock be prepared for some :wallbash: & :duh:

:thumb:

7. Big-_-t0ny

Stock...is there something I'm doing wrong?:D

8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I see I'm too late, but my advice would probably have been either trade up for a H80i or down for a H55. :)

That is, if you really want liquid cooling. Personally, I'm not a fan.

9. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

One does not have an H60 without overclocking the chip it is cooling :)

The 2500k was made for overclocking. It does 4.2 without blinking! I used to bench my last 2500k @ 5.2! (It didn't die, old trusty is now living in Teel's custom built HTPC)

10. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I've run some at 5.3ghz! Runs at 4.8ghz everday

11. Big-_-t0ny

I will overclock soon guys, it's just that I have never done so before - I understand it is really easy right? Multiplier and voltage? :p

12. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

13. Big-_-t0ny

EDIT: NVM, found some good settings! :) I will update tomorrow.

Last edited: 29 Dec 2012
  14. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

lol, I'm at 5.2Ghz daily on mine right now! Used to bench at 6Ghz when using sub-ambient-air-cooled-water.

15. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Crazy cat you are! What voltages? I was easily in 1.5v and above to keep stable enough for a bench or two...

16. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

I have a lucky chip, 1.48V and that's it. But I have a pair of Delta 38mm deep fans strapped on with a fan controller so I can spin them up if they get toasty.

17. law99

law99 Custom User Title

That is lucky... I lost my oc notes but remember becoming perilously high to boot and keep stable for long enough to do a few benchmarks. Plus 100% llc and such.