1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Any of you stopped smoking?

Discussion in 'General' started by Zinfandel, 30 Dec 2012.

1. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I'VE ALREADY FAILED! :/

2. 666painkiller

666painkiller If only....

i stopped when i had a benign tumor the size of a golf ball removed from leg.......scared the s%$t out of me!!

3. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

I quit for good in May 2011 and can gladly say as of a few months ago the urge to smoke has completely gone away (it takes a good 12/18 months for it to COMPLETELY go away).

Before that I was a total nicotine fiend, I would rip the filter off a B&H Gold and smoke it backwards all the time just to feel that chest thumping nicotine rush, i know, stupid but it felt SOOOO good.

Smoked heavily for a good 10 years, quit many times before for a few weeks with Nicotinel gum/losenge/patches whatever but in the end a proper look in the mirror and a slap in the face did the job, just quit cold turkey there and then and threw the rest of my fags in the bin before work one day.

4. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

:(

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

But he will succeed - if he wants to.

6. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Well I hadn't ran out of smokes as of yesterday. But I finished my last two before heading to work.

No shops open and the store I work at is also closed. So lets see how the next 9-10 hours go whilst locked in at work.

7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Good luck mate.

As i have mentioned and also others you can and will stop but only if you want to. Nobody can force you to stop but the right people will support you.

The good old government also help you, i mean how much for a packet of regular smokes, combined with the cost of petrol or diesel if you drive to get them, that is an expensive habit.

I wish anyone stopping the best of luck :thumb:

8. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Anyone falling off the wagon should try e cigs.
    I switched on Jan 4 2011 haven't looked back.
    I buy from totally wicked, but liberro has a pretty good explanation of them which helped demystify things when I made the switch. http://liberro.co.uk/about-e-cigs?chapter=1

9. unicorn13ocp

unicorn13ocp Staying sane inside Insanity

6 year aniversary of quitting in 2 months, of course only after turning the grim reapers invitation down (Heart Attack) and an adverse reaction to the clot buster, 3 month before turning 40. :eyebrow:

Though to myself better stay off em this time. :worried:

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I never started. That said, I do like cigars... Occasionally.

11. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I annoy people with my ability to smoke cigerettes and not get addicted. I think I had 1 last year. Smoked for a couple of years when I was 18-20 then again when 26-27 but gave up without trying.

I found that it's avoiding the opportunity to smoke that is the hardest part for example when you are drinking at a pub or on a night out. I never smoked at home though so that made it easier I guess.

That said mate addiction is a bitch and I wish you the best of luck. If you can hold out a year you wil really see why people say quitting is the best thing they have ever done.

Edit: just read you failed. May I suggest you try quitting 1 day in the 1st week then 2 the 2nd then 3 the 3rd and so on. Less pressure that way.

12. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

No, no you haven't, you've only failed when you lose the mindset to stop. Knowing you want to is a significant step, & staying motivated is hard. Having one doesn't mean you've stopped stopping, it just means your will weakened. Get on a cessation programme, any of them, give yourself a tangible target & accept that you may not always hit that target but you'll get there in the end.

13. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

As said, you need something to occupy your mind to help... right Professor? *hint*

14. Psyance

Psyance What's a Dremel?

I quit by just going cold turkey, once you make it through the second week you've done it.
    Time to try again Zinf :D

15. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I was thinking about that the other day.

Shall we... You know? Break out the space ships?

16. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

I quit last year, and my quitting started in a bit of a peculiar way: one day I woke up, and decided to make a "smoke free day". one of the reasons behind it was money as well, but besides that I had thought of not smoking for some time but didn't do anything about it.
    So after the day was done and next morning came, I thought the same thing: why the hell not make it free of smokes again?

Never thought to myself that I'm quitting, I just was having smoke-free days. After about a week or so I realised that I can do this, started a blog about the struggles etc (the dreams were especially awesome, most realistic dreams I ever had).

Overall, I think my advice would be to be happy that you are not smoking, that mindset is a very strong motivator. :)

17. itrush07

itrush07 Minimodder

Actually, that's part of my new year's resolution - to quit smoking. :)

18. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

So that means you are on your 2nd day free? congrats and keep it up ;)

19. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I "quit" once for a month in 2010. Started by dropping from 3 packs per week to 3 cigs a day. Then to one morning *** per day, and then none. Starting from the day I dropped to zero per day, I lasted a month, before starting again. I timed the whole exercise badly - the month ended right in the middle of finals week of one of my sophomore quarters.

After that, I had a lot of anxiety and stress from my academics, and I unfortunately turned to smoking to alleviate some of that, I went as high as a pack a day some times.

I quit for good last winter. 1st Jan 2012, I quit cold turkey and haven't smoked since. I think being done with academics had a massive positive impact on the second attempt. I kept my mind off the cravings by playing a LOT of video games, and by sucking on breath mints or boiled candy when the cravings hit. It felt very touch-and-go at times, but by March, I was done. The cravings were gone, and now I can't even smell cigarette smoke without feeling viciously nauseous.

It's been said before but it bears repeating - it's all in the mind. Don't go into it with apprehension or fear of failure. Think of it as something you just have to do, and something you're capable of. My mistake the first time was going easy on myself. I mentally assumed I was doing a really difficult thing and when I went back to smoking, I rationalised it as "Well, I set out to get atop Everest, but only made it to base camp - at least that's something."

That's not what you do. The second time, I equated quitting with something as basic as walking down to the local chemist and buying toothpaste. So in my head, I was like "Good god, anyone can do that, you'd be a real tit if you couldn't." My ego did the rest :D

Kris likes this.
  20. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

truer words cannot be said about smoking (or any other addiction for that matter). Massive respect!

keep it up mate. :)