1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Organising life... digitally

Discussion in 'General' started by TheStockBroker, 7 Jan 2013.

1. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Afternoon all.

A strange one perhaps, but I'm wondering how everybody here manages their lives.

I'm a single, techy, twenty-something and while everything in my life is neatly tucked away and tidy and going to plan - it's actual organisation is non-existent.

I have a Windows 8 Pro home desktop, a Facebook account, a Jellybean Android phone, multiple web-based email accounts across multiple providers, and a work Outlook (Exchange server account?) that I suppose I'd like to merge into a concise fountain of information wherever I look.

Does anybody know of anything able to do this? I'd love to be able to look at my phone, and see my bosses day plan (from Outlook/Exchange), my plans - personal & work and vice versa. I hate having to look all over for scattered information and piece it together in my head causing me to forget and overlook things. I have domain admin at work, so software/privileges are no problem.

Help much appreciated; and I'm also interested in comments on how you personally get by with remembering the millions of things we all have going on in this day and age!

Thanks,

TSB

2. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I've tried lots of things but one thing i cannot live without is an android application called "Catch"

Which I've made the folders, My ideas, Work, Money, List, Accounts, Tenants,

Then the android calender tells me when bills are due and such, and the Gmail app for emails obi,

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Google Calendar includes sync for Outlook Calendars etc now, doesn't it? I use it and it works well.

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I have an amazing organisational app - it's called a wife! :D

5. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

The to-do list app called Astrid is great - just remember to disable most of the reminders otherwise it will positively SPAM you.

6. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

Haha you think you've got problems. Try a Windows Phone with Linux. And Google are now stopping support for Gmail on WP7/8 I believe.

Anyway thats not constructive.
    Ideally if you want everything all nice and organised you need to buy into one ecosystem. So that would be Microsoft, Windows Phone, Windows OS etc or Apple with iPhone and all that stuff or Google with all their web apps and Android.

This seems like a pretty good option for keeping a lot of data together for Android. Haven't tried it though.

I haven't found anything for a desktop machine yet.

7. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

I've heard that the wife app, although free and quite fun at first, has lots of compulsory in app purchases that end up making it very expensive in the long term, and you often have to buy additional DLC to make it work properly.....

8. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Google calendar and post-it notes. The fact google calendar can sync to my windows 8/window live calendar is a bonus.

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

My Mac that gets all my mails, My iPhone that gets duplicates of the critical ones.
    To Do on the iPhone synchs with my Mac fine, as does iMessage (great for chatting with my brother overseas and sending/receiving pics and videos).

I could go on, but I suppose you catch the drift. I use an iPhone and a MBP for my one job and most of my life. The rest is just the day job, where I never switch machines/devices.

10. Xir

Xir Modder

I have google calender and the phones internal calender, theoretically they're synced, practically i've got everything twice or trice, but it never reminds me properly...
    can't even do birthdays properly (with telling the age)
    10 year old nokia-calenders were better than this.

11. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

My phone seems to get a variety of calendars (google and some others)

Then I just try to remember stuff :p
    Organisation really isn't my strong point.

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

And failing that, a Moleskine

13. Houndofhell

Houndofhell One Particle to Rule Them All

Ah yes, but best not to download the latest updates. They include a rather buggy implementation of the gossIP and shopPING protocols. The later of which enters an infinite loop and if you attempt to stop it can result in Blue Screen Of Divorce.

As far as organisation goes. I could do it better but at the moment I have Google Calendar and it's synced with my Jelly Bean phone along with other calendars.

14. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

I use my exchange work calendar for most things (which isn't really ideal but it works) I use simplenote for shopping lists, to do lists and other note type things as there's an iPhone app or you can edit notes on the web (and its free)

15. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

It doesn't do everything the OP wants, but the organisational app that I've been using for the past few years is Appigo ToDo. I recently updated to ToDo pro when they scrapped Appigo Sync, and despite a few bugs here and there with the web-based interface on Windows, it works like a charm. I have lists, projects, checklists etc for everything - personal, school, university, work, business etc etc. If it's something I have to remember to do, it goes on one of my lists in ToDo - If I don't, it gets forgotten about. I've also got the principal and my line manager (ICT co-ordinator) in school using it on Windows and iOS respectively, so we're all on the same page as far as what we're doing day to day goes.

16. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I thought catch was amazing, last night i found Astrid task...

This is amazing!!

17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I used to use "remember the milk" back in the day before Exchange started ruling ruining my life.

18. zatanna

zatanna What's a Dremel?

i use wunderlist constantly and everywhere (desktop, tablet, smart phone) for keeping track of all tasks and sub-tasks. same with google calendar for all engagements. http://www.6wunderkinder.com/wunderlist