1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Any electric guitar players here?

Discussion in 'General' started by SazBard, 4 Jun 2010.

1. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

recived rocksmith on the pc for christmas and can i just say its ALOT better than guitar hero
    most people will only play the songs to progress through the unlock series to get the addictive guitarcade and classes that come later ^_^
    finally got me to start seriosuly learning to play again ( albeit left handed this time due to nerve damage in my ( now ) picking hand

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I have sworn by the 81/60 combo ever since I got my JR Tele back in '09.. However, I think Phase 2's are really worth a look.. I'd be using them in my next build, except you can't get chromed ones.. have a listen to the video below.. he's using 7 string versions, but you can still hear the difference.

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Since I don't think I posted it here, I recently bought this:
    http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/product_news/pages/2011/SpringSpecial/TCY20114-MDS.html

I know it's not electric, BUT it was DIRT cheap. As such, it does the one thing that any guitar should do: Make me play.

Since it's cheap, I have it standing around in my living room, and have played it pretty much every day since I got it. Which is more than I can say about some of my more valuable axes, which I tend to put away in cases and such.

Also: It sounds OK for a shallow acoustic, plays much like an Electric and did I mention that it get played a LOT?

4. Si_the-dude

Si_the-dude Techaholics Anonymous. 0 days clean

I totally agree with Mankz! The 81/60 combo is great with the 60 being a quality pup for rhythm. The 81/85 is also a great combo. Personally though I'm not a huge fan of the way EMGs sound in a lot of the lower end Ibanez guitars and think they respond better to a heavier guitar. I'd recommend checking out some Dimarzio's if you get the chance, I've been using them in my main guitars for years now and swear by them :rock:

5. Si_the-dude

Sorry to hear that mate. I can't even imagine how heard it must be to learn to play the opposite way around. Keep at it.

I was considering getting Rocksmith myself. What is the audio quality like through the USB cable?

6. OcSurfe

OcSurfe Uber Noob

Ive got myself a handful of guitars, mainly rock and blues, my fav atm is the PRS trmonti SE,
    looking at recording to the PC, have no idea how to do that though,
    any ideas?

7. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Come back from uni used to playing m Telecaster, and god my Squier is in a poor state.

What's the best method people have found for cleaning fretboards?

8. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Holy crap that is sick :|. I think it's time for a metal stage again.

9. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Lemon oil and a microfibre cloth. If it's rosewood anyway, don't put lemon oil on a maple fret board.

I always give the board a bit of wipe down just to take the obvious grime/whatever. Apply lemon oil and leave for a few minutes, scrub like hell and repeat until it's as smooth as... well...

10. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Mankz, did you ever get around to selling that Washburn (I might be making this up but I'm sure I saw you selling it at some point).

Still one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen.

11. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

2c on the EMG discussion - I somehow always found EMGs to sound "flimsy" and "artificial".
    A bit like recording D/I with a Boss MT2.

Personally, I ABSOLUTELY adore DiMarzio pickups for their warmth, and the De-Activators for some real aggression in the sound.
    Other than that, I'd probably opt for Duncans.

12. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Boss MT2 was the first pedal I ever bought.

Proof, if proof were needed that I am METAL!

13. Quavr

Quavr Minimodder

I've got an EMG 81/89 combo in my schecter and it sounds amazing, that said it wouldn't stop me from trying others.

I recently got a 7 string, absolutely love playing it, and I'm planning eventually to swap the pickups for bare knuckle nailbombs :rock:

14. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I had one of those as well.
    I remember being in the studio with my one band.
    I had just bought a Marshall MG100DFX (the good, older ones... not the new ones.. .they suck a bit). We recorded my guitar by going axe->marshall->emulated line out->D/I box. Sounded f***ing amazing.

We recorded the second axe: Axe->MT2->D/I and it sounded godawful.

Since we were time strapped (studio time costs a fortune), we didn't have time to take guitars individually. We organised the other axeman a shitty peavey amp, then went Axe->MT2->Crap amp->Mic->D/I
    That sounded WAAAAY better...

Ever since then, I have ditched pedals. I tried my luck on a Behringer V-Amp Pro once, and didn't like it. To date, I still play my guitars straight through the MG100. :rock:

15. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

f*ck man...the choice of lefty guitars truely is horrific outside of ibanez >_<

also i have obtained a Line6 toneport UX1 and it sounds awesome even if its all emulated pedels and stuff like that

16. Si_the-dude

I think we've all had an MT2 at some point :D

I actually used to get a pretty decent tone out of my old Marshall AVT150 with the Metalzone, running a Jackson SL1 with EMG 81-SA-SA combo. I've since replaced the EMGs with a Dimarzio evo bridge and middle, and a HS2 (I think!) in the neck and it sounds horrendous through the Metalzone. I'm a bit of a Dimarzio fan-boy so I might be biased but I can't recommend them enough. I have a Charvel So-cal I've dropped a Dimarzio PAF JOE and MO-JOE into and that is a BLINDINGLY good combo.

I actually found for recording it sounded pretty passable to either go directly into an old Line6 UX1, straight into my computer with POD farm, OR to plug a Shure SM57 into the UX1 and then record through that using Ableton Live. The UX1 is probably pretty cheap these days. If you've got a decent amp and/or are pretty happy with the sound from your amp I'd totally recommend picking up a mic and something to use as a mic pre-amp.

17. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Its a soap worthy saga... I've still got it. I had sold it, and received the funds, but the guy buying it went through some hardships, so just before I sent it off, I gave him his cash back instead as he needed it. So it's still here... I'm still waiting for my 7 String Agile to turn up and I'll then reassess what to do.. I'm going to try 7 strings as the lower tension should help play-ability with my dodgy wrist..

18. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Isn't that the truth. I think I sold mine. Should still have DS1 around somewhere. I Think that's what it is. I gave my old Zoom 505Mk2 (god they were horrible) to my baby brother for use with his shitty amp.
    Other than that, the only pedal I own (for some reason) is a Dunlop Cry Baby. I never could play with that stuff... I am normally too busy making my fingers do (roughly) what I want them to. :p

That's the REAL blessing of the old MG100 Marshall - they have that emulated-out port, which works like a dream. It's straight amp+effects that are in the loop, as it would come out of the speaker.
    The only amp I'd rather have right now is a big JVM.

That said, the POD devices all sound good recorded, as does that Behringer V-Amp I have (though not quite as good as a POD) - the only reason I haven't dumped that thing yet.

19. Si_the-dude

The old MG amps really are fantastic. I'm trying to pick one up to replace my AWFUL jdm501 in my bedroom. I'd love s big JVM but I can't justify it :miffed: Have any of you guys tried Satch's JVM?

20. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

Just sold my Zakk Wylde les paul custom (I had 2 of these guitars one was an epiphone with EMG HZ pickups and the other a gibson)awsum guitars the gibson had EMG 25th anniversary pickups in it these are better than 81's and 85's ill miss my baby currently selling my marshall jcm 900 dual reverb 100 watts valve amp as I can no longer play guitar.

I was for a short while in a band and while we did record some of our own material we were mostly a covers band doing a mix of 60's and 70's music Glam rock,Country etc we were called misty blue it was a fun time in my life and I will miss playing I certainly miss the Zakk thats for sure:lol: