1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HMV in administration

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 16 Jan 2013.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Balls. Where am I supposed to do my christmas shopping now!? Got a £15 voucher from swapping a blue ray set for a dvd set last weekend too, now all it's good for is a wallet sized ice scraper :-(

3. Si_the-dude

Si_the-dude Techaholics Anonymous. 0 days clean

Sorry to hear that, it sucks massively that they aren't honoring vouchers :miffed:

4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

The voucher thing is the most annoying part about this I think, next to obviously people loosing there jobs.

Those vouchers would have been paid for previously so they have the money already from them, unyet they are not willing to allow you to spend a voucher which you have already paid for.

I bet the bosses of HMV still got there massive bonuses and pay riser though.

5. The_Crapman

i think i'm going to go in, take £15 pounds worth of good and give them the card. They can try calling the police, but they stole from me first! lol

6. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Hands up who didn't see the digital distribution boom coming?

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

They must have known this was on the cards, to take money for gift vouchers is dishonest at best. Problem is gift voucher holders are creditors and so take their place in the queue with all the other creditors and the less your owed the further back in the queue you are, given they owe millions, £15 is unlikely to see any return.

8. rollo

rollo Modder

HMV will likely be brought out by the music studios who will do anything to stop amazon becoming the only importer of cds into the uk.

But half the jobs at least will go and id guess at least half of the shops as HMV is everywhere.

There 140mil + in debt so your £15 gift vouchers are not really going to be even in the list you will get pennys back for them most likely.

Anyone who has tech in the day to day lives knew that HMV was struggling in early December shares tumbled on news that they might not last the christmas. They were saved by a 40mil loan from the music industry then.

9. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

Retail always loses on price. Only businesses that can add enough extra value earn their place on the high st. I do though take exception to charity shops not having to pay business rates so they get discounted rents.

10. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Sadly the law won't be on your side, sucks I know... I'd probably try the same myself but wouldn't want to get nicked for shoplifting.

11. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Waiting for the inevitable screams from the music industry of "it's piracy wot done it guvnor" or something similar.

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Somewhere between itunes, spotify, netflix and so on are some remaining scraps, not surprised its not enough to pay for a high profile retail presence. Plus in the UK there has in recent years also been a massive increase in 2nd hand trade of cds, dvds and games, while hmv joined in on the console games they never attempted to compete with shops selling ex rental and used music and dvds.

13. ArcAngeL

ArcAngeL What's a Dremel?

They had a store in Australia, it fell through pretty quickly when the iPod boom came, surely they knew it would happen. They should of changed market strategy when they could, or at least close up when they could walk away with a revenue.

14. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Even though the majority of their stock was overpriced, this is a sad day. We need a prescence of this content on the high street, not just the bargain basement selection in the supermarket.

Having said that, I probably contributed to their downfall as I haven't bought much from them for years - too expensive compared to online. :(

15. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I've gotten some bargains from HMV before though. I got a friend a pair of D2ks to replace his beats for £150 last summer.

16. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Why do we need them on the high street?

17. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Can't say I'll loose sleep - people loosing jobs is never a good thing but as a store (as mentioned above) it was never very competitive on price and the only reason I've purchased from them in the past is they had two CD's I was struggling to find in 'hardcopy' at the time. (My Ruin and Tori Amos fyi)

I haven't read the full article linked... Its its still open I might wonder to my local branch (searching for sale stuff). I venture into the town centre to little these days it must have been 6 months since I walked past it so I'd have never noticed if its shutdown.

18. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Good idea, cause some hassle for the people behind the till who have done nothing wrong and will likely lose their jobs...

Last edited: 17 Jan 2013
  19. The_Crapman

[​IMG]

20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

@longweight, because we all know they are the last chain selling such stuff, without them it will be even more female clothing / mobile phone shops versus everything else and the high street as a whole looses even more of its former appeal due to the lack of diversity.

Tags: Add Tags