1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Sketchup Components Collection (SCC) Discussion

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jezmck, 25 Nov 2003.

1. randomhero

randomhero Minimodder

2. Sutura

Sutura What's a Dremel?

How do people make the scaled models in SketchUP

Hi all,

I was browsing the SketchUP gallery for a model of a riser card and I keep asking myself. How do they make them so accurate>? I mean how do you know how big a capacitor is, let alone the thousand small details? I've seen last year on the Scandinavian Industrial Expo, a couple of machines that can scan anything in 3D, from toothpick to let's say gearbox, but I doubt a person has one at home, I mean they are pretty costly. I am not an engineer or something, that's why it is curious to me :)

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Calliper and ruler, basically. We measure everything on the item that is to be modelled as accurately as possible.

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Many electronic component manufacturers now provide 3D models of their products, which can speed up modelling a board considerably.

5. Mick64

Mick64 Dream Modeller

Decided to go public with my case design SketchUp models. Feel free to download and build, if you have the resources. Be warned, these files are very large! Download from here. Enjoy! :thumb:

Nexxo likes this.
  6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

+ rep for your generous contribution. :thumb:

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Do you have any Autocad DWG files of that case?

8. Mick64

Mick64 Dream Modeller

No I'm afraid not, but if someone has SketchUp Pro, they may be able to export the SketchUp models in dwg format.

9. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

Can't you import .skp files into your CAD program?
    I recently had some parts laser cut at a local engineers which I designed on sketchup the free version and the engineers discovered that they could use the sketchup files .skp and import them straight into their AutoCad program, they had not tried this before as most people send them AutoCad files but it worked fine and they were happy as it saved them a lot of time and me money :clap:

Last edited: 3 Nov 2012
  10. yoishiro

yoishiro What's a Dremel?

yo Mick64

i need some help with the drive cage , do u have measurments of them ? the holes and the spacing between drives?

11. Mick64

Mick64 Dream Modeller

I have put some ATX specification information on my Sky Drive. This includes hard drive, SSD and CD/DVD sizes and hole positions...

12. Ron-ski

Ron-ski What's a Dremel?

Mick64, there's some great looking models there, and the case looks fantastic all kitted out, must have taken ages.

I'm hoping to do similar with an NZXT Switch 810, only got as far as drawing the side panel, and I've had the case since the beginning of September.

13. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Jez, I've just been looking on your component site for motherboard trays, the form factor sizes on this page just links to a .jpeg not a .skp file.

14. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Sure it's just a JPEG, because it only is a chart of the various sizes.

You can download my ATX 2.2 spec if you want a SKP-file of the three most common sizes.

15. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Sorry, I was meaning that the image is only linked to itself (the thumbnail image), I could have used it, if it was full size. It was more a point of informing there was possibly an issue with the content of the site than anything else.

I'll use yours in the mean time, cheers.

16. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Just finished my model of an Alphacool NexXxos ST30 240 Radiator. I haven't found Sketchup particularly intuitive and i had a major disaster (mistake:duh:) that cost me a couple of hours work, but i'm getting there!
    http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=b108be272a48a10a6e77243e6750f2e

For reference, i have 3 of these rads which i have stripped the paint off the chambers and side panels, hense the colours on the model.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 24 Mar 2013
  17. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

18. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

I made some bitspower fittings today in 3ds max, does anyone want them ? I also made a dual rotary adapter but it's not in this render.
    [​IMG]
    I can export them to .obj but i can't remember if sketchup can import that.

19. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Because I'll get rid of my big machine I was thinking about a SFF-case.

As I've built an office-rig with the Chieftec BT-02B (E350 mainboard, SSD, DVD-ROM), I've decided to model it in SketchUp, as I'm going to use it to build a workstation with it. Really small footprint with only 135x240x295mm (width x depth x height). I'm going to use my current hardware, with a new motherboard and a new low-profile HD7750, so the two 60mm fans in the back and the single 80mm fan in the front should be totally enough, even at low RPM.

Those interested in the case, it's really solid and comes with a 80+ 180W SFX-PSU included at only €60, so it's a real bang-for-the-buck SFF-case.

Model is complete with DVD-ROM, mainboard-dummy, GPU-dummy, 3.5" HDD, fans, screws and a Samuel17-cooler I'm going to use.
    With the Samuel17 the DVD-ROM has no place tho, but as I'm using an external USB-DVD this isn't an issue.

[​IMG]

Download SKP -> http://sharesend.com/lyfzk09c

I've submitted the model to SCC aswell.

Last edited: 21 Jul 2013
  20. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf