1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Make Your Own Raspberry Pi Case competition

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 22 Jan 2013.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Awww. kinda wish I had a use for one now. A micro case comp sounds like fun.

-Can I submit a case without a Pi?:naughty:

2. jcb121

jcb121 What's a Dremel?

because I feel there's more reward doing everything from scratch, as soon as my raspberry pi gets here i'll be measuring it up with digital calipers and making a real model.

3. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Please do! You don't need to own a Pi to enter or build the case, but for obvious reasons it might be preferable to own one. They're pretty cheap and you could always sell it afterwards.

4. NaThRo

NaThRo What's a Dremel?

Who will be first to include water cooling?

5. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

Here I was, thinking I could make a VESA-compatible case.... Just over 6 inches square....

Still will make a case, though.

6. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Combatus, the entry restriction, is that shipping only? I live on an Island, and receive shippings from people in the states all the time, so if I were to provide an address in the states and take it from there, could I enter?

7. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

I like the idea, but im in the catch 22 camp.

If i was to make a wooden case for this, i would have to buy a PI anyway to use as the template for a perfecto fitting and inspiration.

Good luck to everyone who enters though.

8. Combatus

As I said to Cheaps, the Pi doesn't cost that much and you could always sell it afterwards - they're still holding their value second hand.

9. Combatus

Yep that's fine!

10. Dudey109

Dudey109 Minimodder

Awesome, ive already got an idea for the rpi case, it was going to be a little bigger than 150mm but i can adjust to enter into this i think :D

11. goultech

goultech What's a Dremel?

What is the best way to find all the 'Raspberry PI Competition' project logs in the forum? I have attempted the search feature with no success.

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

*Cough* Just need a copper thimble.:D

13. Combatus

Well hopefully if everyone read the rules correctly they'll be adding 'Raspberry Pi Competition' to their titles so it should make finding the ones from the comp easier!

14. Combatus

Good news everyone! Thanks to Wiley - publisher of the Raspberry Pi User Guide, we're now able to send the prizes anywhere! We've just opened up the competition worldwide. A huge thanks to Wiley for offering to do this and we hope we'll be seeing many more projects as a result.

15. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Now that I can enter the comp-I have some questions about rules:

•The maximum dimensions of the case are 150mm x 150mm x 150mm (roughly six inches cubed).

Is this dimension of whole case or just it's inside dimensions?

•You need to allow for the various ports to be accessible

Can I use cable extensions?

•You need to be able to mount the motherboard correctly using the mounting holes (these were added on the latest Rev 2 version)

Can I use latches or pins for mounting?

16. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Grab a 7" or 10" touchsreen from http://www.chalk-elec.com/ and build your own tablet PC :p

These touchscreens come with a HDMI/LVDS board which can power the RapberryPi. Unfortunately I couldn't find such easy solutions for smaller displays, as I was looking for a 5" touchscreen to build myself an iPod-esque device for my music-collection.

17. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

If you're going to make a case for a raspberry pi, chances are you already have the damn thing. In case mod competitions the winner often wins a case, and iMO that's just rubbish :)

But yeah what ever, it's still nice to have competitions. Hope to see some fresh ideas with this one!

18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ah, but don't forget that you get three chances to win the most excellent Raspberry Pi User Guide as well. Why, that's practically priceless! (Okay, a £12.99 RRP. Or £9.09 at the moment from Amazon, 'cos it's on offer.)

19. Combatus

Hi Pranja. Those are the external dimensions of the case

Yes you can use port extensions, so long as all the original ports are usable.

You can use whatever method you want for mounting, so long as you mount it using the holes - so yes, pins or latches are fine. We're trying to avoid people just using velcro and the like ;)

20. Combatus

Shameless plug :D

Tags: Add Tags