1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dead Space 3 to feature micro-transactions

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 23 Jan 2013.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

Money making scheme! Hate these Buy weapons campaigns, don't mind if it a free to play game....Specially on online scenarios where they can own you with these bought weapons.

Also very concerned this game won't have that scare/horror theme with it:(

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Agreed, but since this isn't a free-to-play game, I'm sure the stuff you can buy in those stores aren't overly useful, but probably slightly better than the free stuff. Or at least that's how it should be. I personally hate free-to-play games. Basically spend $30 and you're the best player in the game no matter how much you actually suck, and then there's no motivation to keep playing because you already unlocked the best items.

4. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

wow... this pit just keeps getting deeper and deeper

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Not for me thanks. The first two were solid games, but this would have to be a gaming revolution for me to put up with that sort of nonsense.

6. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

This is troubling news. I was already concerned that this game wouldn't have the scares that the first two had.

7. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Dead Space. Perfect example of a game that started fresh and was genuinely great then got serialized, monotized, stripped down and sold out until it became a shell of what made it good. I hate seeing truly good games get "mainstreamed" by publishers who just transform them into a big-action set-piece joy-ride CoD style game with no soul.

8. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Maybe the fun of playing the game keeps you coming back instead of unlocks???

9. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

This, ad infinitum.
    I also hate how CoD is now a by-word for this state of affairs. Call Of Duty 1 was a definitive FPS of its day. Look how far it's fallen.

10. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Action oriented co-op & micro transactions; great way to ruin a great series.

11. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

From the demo, it looks like a mashup of ME3, Gears and Lost Planet. Nothing like the original Dead Space.

12. VikArmo

VikArmo What's a Dremel?

You read about a sequel to a great game.
    Then you hear a co-op mode will unlock more to once was a great single player story.
    Then you hear of micro transactions.
    Then you realise the publisher is EA.
    Oh well.

13. S1W1

S1W1 Minimodder

If Joe's previews are anything to go by they've already ruined the (previously superb) gameplay and atmosphere of the series.
    Could this get any worse?

14. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

OK I'm calling bullsh*t on this one. You need skill to be the winner, not the one with all the items. BF Heros may offer microtransactions but I've come top of the table without any microtransactions. I'm sure Dust 514 will be the same.

Same as BF3. The unlock all weapons DLC did not mean you were going to win or a better player. I own the unlock all weapons DLC for the reason that I can't be bothered to play through all the sniper class because I don't enjoy playing sniper class, but want to be able to faff around around with the later unlockables.

Re: DS3, I think the microtransactions are there just for those who want to be able to skip thru the game quicker.

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

This factor is what concerns me more than gaining a competitive edge through money (they did say everything is still available in game...). It's an incredibly counter-intuitive idea which shouldn't work, but somehow does. Why would a person pay more to get less gameplay?

The reason, as I speculate, is that the game just isn't fun. Obviously some parts of the game need to be fun, what you can unlock with money needs to be fun, but actually getting there needs to be so dire that players would rather fork over money than play through it themselves.

It becomes pretty clear why the microtransactions in DS3 have been designed the way they are. Who likes gathering and farming for crafting materials in games? It's hard to make this process legitimately fun and interesting, and in order to create value for these materials they must require some sort of difficulty to aquire in either challenge or time invested. Or, take the easy way out. It doesn't need to be fun, leave it as a boring grindfest. Just add the option to spend real money rather than time spent on boring farming. They've cleverly taken the same idea behind MMO gold selling websites and incorporated it into their next AAA title. The blight of an entire genre, now an exciting new feature! Just needs a nice marketing spin.

16. Ream

Ream What's a Dremel?

Simple solution, dont buy the game, if no one buys it then they might stop with microtransactions. When did people start thinking it was ok to pay for a game and then start paying for parts of a game that should have came with it.

17. Lockinvar

Lockinvar What's a Dremel?

I haven't read anything positive about Dead Space 3 and this certainly continues the trend.

18. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

So take out all the fun in the game in finding weapons and just letting the player buy them.
    This isnt so much micro transactions,it is more just selling cheat codes, they are just cheat codes wrapped up in a nice looking box and put in an online store.

Why even bother playing the game, just watch someone streaming it on twitch.tv from start to finish, save yourself the money.

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You've had my money once already, when I bought the game. Why should I pay you even more just to get access to stuff that's already in the game which I'll eventually unlock/encounter/build/whatever on my own? Yeah it's a grind to build up crafting materials, but do you hear me complaining about that in Minecraft?

Unless your game is free-to-play (and not pay-to-win) you can shove your "microtransactions" where the sun don't shine.

20. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I loved first part, liked second, but this is a bit too far.
    I read about that they simply moved all graphics from consoles to PC and PC won't get any upgrades on graphics/textures etc.
    Now I read about micro-trasactions. Well, it's not that bad maybe, it's like in Diablo 3 - you can buy some items straight away, or wait till you find it in the game. Here, they saying that it will be the same - there won't be an item in the in-store that you won't be able to find in the game later on. So I guess it's up to us players if we want to buy it now or wait til we craft it later on in game.

Tags: Add Tags