1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by jrs77, 24 Jan 2013.

1. B_HERB

B_HERB What is this..A CENTER FOR ANTS?!

In the same boat as you, mate. Today the gaming world consists of endless sequels and recycled, cliche-ridden storylines....not to mention dumbed-down gameplay and crap graphics on PC. THERE IS STILL HOPE, however.....

I'd check out kickstarter if I were you...lots of cool games being developed through player-funding on that site. I'm certain you'll find some projects that interest you. I see you mentioned you're an EVE player....you should check out Star Citizen or Elite: Dangerous, which are both in development.

2. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Thanks Jester,

I am very keen to try this but everything I read points to sony vegas or adobe for the software (kerching)
    Also need the recording software but which one?

Feel free to point me to your links aswell :thumb:

3. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Gaming today is so boring. Almost all the games are the same.
    I still play a game that came out in 2004 which I still thoroughly enjoy. Tried all the new ones and don't enjoy them.

4. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

I'm trying to record Camstudio, but it doesn't pick up in game sounds :(

Anyway, I found gaming boring for a month or so then it just perks up again and my interest is focused on just playing games.

I think it has nothing to do with age wise really..More commitments.

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

RTS- Nothing has changed since C&C - wrong. Try Total War or Supreme Commander Forged Alliance. Upcoming in this genre is Planetary Annihilation, which allows you to zoom from individual battles at ground level, out to take in the whole planet, solar system and then entire galaxies.

UT/Quake - Battlefield 3 - as you said, looks amazing, has a great variety of weapons, massive environments, huge tank battles, F16 dogfights and Apache strafing runs.

Though, as I mentioned above, both of those games are best played with your mates!

To be honest people saying 'games these days are boring - they are just rehashes of old games' kind of annoys me, because I've played all those old games too, and the new games are just as enjoyable - and a clear evolution of the genre. Its usually just down to the person being less of a wide eyed kid and more of a miserable old git. Instead, I've turned into a veteran, I know what it is I like, and I put aside time to play these games/genres with my friends whenever we can (not as often as we'd probably like these days).

6. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

33 here and I have been gaming from the days of the BBC mirco all the way through to the present and I still enjoy it although I do not dedicate anywhere near as much time as I used too. I do believe you reach an age were a lot of the games we are seeing now are often inferior rehashes of what came before or the industry has matured to a level were things that are genuinely new and exciting are rare these days. I also go through phases of being a social gamer or a complete hermit where I just want to bury myself in a good single player.

If you haven't tried them yet than I would highly recommend the Witcher 1 and 2. Both excellent games with hours of adult gameplay and are a bargain at the moment. Witcher 1 looks a bit dated but you get past that very quickly one you start playing. For a cheap short gaming blast have a go at Hotline Miami. It mixes the best of todays gaming with the best of the past and reminds you why you game in the first place. Lastly have you tried DayZ? It is probably the most unique gaming experience I have had for a long, long time.

7. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

fixed it for you mate.

8. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

I've been playing games for the last 20 years, and I'm in no direction to stop, or even slow down. True that many of the newer titles are stale and reworked again and again, there is innovation here and there.

At the moment I'm waiting for Watch Dogs to come out as that has a lot of promise to do something new and different.

9. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

Nothing seems to hold my attention either these days. Realistically I can't dedicate more than an hour to a game in one go any more without feeling the need for a break. Even games I'm really hyped for can't keep me playing for more than an hour really with a few exceptions.

Currently I'm playing on and off:

Farcry 3 - It's good but it simply doesn't hold my attention. After 45 minutes I just can't be bothered any more.

XCOM: Enemy unknown - Played it for about 4 hours but had to stop and just haven't gone back to it yet

DOTA 2 - I prefer watching tournaments than actually playing it

SC2 - Again I like watching pro games more than palying the multiplayer. The campaign is amazing though.

The only game other than SC2 HOTS I'm looking forward to in Blizzard All Starts. It ticks alot of the boxes that i want in a MOBA and deals with a lot of the issues. That is assuming it ever comes out and lives up to its promises.

I think my case is one of burnout more than out growing gaming.

10. halfinched

halfinched What's a Dremel?

I don't know about you but I just don't seem to have the time. Having moved in with my gf there is always something that either needs doing or we are doing together. The rare chances I do get to play are generally spent trying to relearn the controls of games I started then put down or remember what I was trying to do and where it was. Usually by the time I've conquered those issues gaming time is over and it's back to square one. I've managed to play through Xcom a few times and still pick up LOL although I always seem to play the character I know now rather than trying the new ones.

The games you can pick up and play instantly aren't deep enough to be interesting and the games that are interesting you can't really pick up and play instantly. It's no win situation for me it seems but I still delude myself into thinking that there are games I'd enjoy out there given the chance - a few of which are sat on my shelves / hdd gathering dust. Hitman Absolution unopened, assasins creed 3 - played mp for half a day with mate who bought me it for xmas, batman arkham city started but not finished - and gf bought me expansion for xmas!

Basically I need another me to send to work or training or to do things with the gf so that the other me has time to commit to playing games!

11. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

The only newish game I play is Skyrim, the PC is mostly used for music & films, although I do have a go on F1 2011/GRID/PES 2010 with my son.

Most of my gaming is now on one of my Amiga/Speccy's or emulating other 8/16 bit/Arcade games on the PC.

12. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I am 44 this year (ouch!) and I still love games as much as I always did. The difference is the type of games I want to play has changed as has the time and opportunity to play them. One of the problems for me is that I have seen just about every genre over the years and very little surprises me any more. Especially in the last five years or so, games have become more generic, relied more on set pieces and big budget movie scenes and have become 'less fun'.

My fingers can no longer manage games with endless combo streaks and complicated drawn out boss fights and to be honest, these games don't interest me anyway.

One of the reasons I love the Arma series so much is that the experience is almost always different every time. I can play a SP mission and approach it in one of a thousand ways, in multiplayer the options are even more varied. It manages to hold my interest because of this, and I love it, and probably will for a long time to come.

Also, as I have got older I have found myself wanting to play more and more open world games and games that have multiple routes to the 'end game'. Games like Skyrim, which although scripted, does allow me to choose my own path through the game. Assasin's Creed, just for the ability to explore and get lost in the world or GTAIV which allows me to follow a great story while at the same time having a huge involvement in it.

Games I used to enjoy like XCOM, I found I don't anymore as I can now, with experience, tell when the AI is flawed or when the mechanic is overly simple an monotonous.

The future is bright though. We have Elite and Star Citizen to look forward to. I am also looking forward to Godus - which if done correctly may reinvigorate my interest in God Games.

There's also a bunch of new hardware to look forward to...

I have the WiiU and I look forward to seeing how developers push the asymmetric gaming possibilities with the WiiU 'tablet'. ZombieU was an excellent example of what can be achieved in this regard and it's a shame that so far it is the only title that really tried to use it to its potential.

I have the OUYA to look forward to as well - I am interested to see what comes of that and whether it really will open up the gaming platform for indie developers.

Then there is the Steam Box, Xbox720 and PS4 - all of these should allow brave developers (and braver publishers) to push the boundaries of gaming. Although part of me suspects that we will see the same old same old but with more movie sequences and flashier set pieces - I hope not though.

Lastly, there is Kickstarter. This has shown that good games can be funded and made. I am hoping that Kickstarter will show the industry in general that they do not have to rely on 'safe bets' and Formula driven design to maximize on ROI.

In general though I think that innovation has been lost in the last few years which is probably why my own interest in gaming has become more cynical and hence maybe given me less enjoyment than it should. All the ingredients are there to make the future rosy - it is down to the industry to grab itself by the balls and take a leap of faith once in a while.

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'll only be too old to enjoy a good game when I can a) no longer see well enough, or b) my hands become twisted and contorted with arthritis.

As long as genuinely good games get released, I'll find a few hours a week to escape from reality. Finding time is the hardest bit now though :sigh:

Teelzebub likes this.
  14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I wouldn't say it's age, per-say - But responsibilities.

At least in my case, nowadays I have much more to actually do, and things that need doing more than gaming does. In reality, I perhaps play 4-5 hours of video games a month now, and that will be on a rare sunday where I have no other plans/desires to do other things.

I can only figure that, as time goes by and you gain more life responsibilities that the "having game based fun" side just starts ebbing away. I know I resent the notion of starting a game if I might have to go out and do something that I actually need to do within a few hours, so I find something else to do.

I guess as we get older we get a touch more cynical and suspect of new things, and don't really want to play it because it looks the same as something we fondly remember, but worse.

15. Scroome

Scroome Modder

My partner is 10 years older than me (38) and told me the other day that's he's starting to go off gaming.

When he told me, he said my face looked like I had just discovered a dead prossie under the floor boards.

He said that, but then two weeks later he's jumping up and down like a school girl when pre-ordering Sim City 5. He then proceeds to pre-order me Dead Space 3 and Colonial marines because 'he likes watching me play games'.

I rolled my eyes and told him that gaming is like prison. You can escape it for a while, but it will always find a way of getting you back.

16. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Tried it, gave up due to horrible control system and stability, though the idea is fantastic.

17. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I have no interest in single player games these days.

Most gaming is coop with friends, so Minecraft, Planetside 2, EVE ,Battlefield 2 etc. With friends and family in different countries, it's basically us chatting on Mumble while building stuff or being horribly owned.

I suppose if I had other commitments, such as kids, time spent gaming would be extremely limited; but as it is, it's just me and the cat. So... yeah.

18. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Did that take you all night to think up.

:lol:

Nice one Scouser git.

19. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

20. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Ah you wuss - you just haven't played enough Arma - control system is perfect ;-)

Ok, ok, it's not for everyone especially if you are used to other FPSs!