1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel to abandon the motherboard market

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 23 Jan 2013.

1. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I used to buy intel boards, but, finding suppliers for the boards you want, is a pain

2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Too bad really, as no other company covers HTPC-boards like the DQ77KB. miniITX with onboard PSU, full size mSATA and a PCIe x4 for your DVB-S/T tuner-card. Get a 35W i3-3220T, an Impactics passive-cooler set and some aluminum-profile and voilá... say "Hello!" to your fully passive (i.e. no moving parts) 30mm high HTPC ;)

3. SleepyMatt

SleepyMatt What's a Dremel?

If they aren't looking to sell motherboards, is there any chance they'll stop changing sockets every two minutes?

4. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan What's a Dremel?

I always considered buying Intel boards, especially after the drama my ASUS board gave me back in the day, but ~5 years ago I started buying Gigabyte, and never looked back. When going through the researching process, I would always start with Intel boards, and end with EVGA boards, only to find the Gigabyte sweet-spot somewhere between the two. :)

5. mute1

mute1 What's a Dremel?

100cm² as 10 cm x 10 cm is right. Even if you wrote '100 cm squared', most people understand that to be '100 of a centimetre squared' (or '100 square centimetres') not '100 centimetres, then squared'.
    Lots of people get confused about it so don't feel bad.

6. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

good, intel leaving mb market means gigabyte, msi, et all can each pay one engineer a little more overtime.

7. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

No it isn't.

A 10cm² box has an area of 100 square cm. Don't confuse the writers.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Words to live by. I'm generally confused enough as it is...
    This, however, is wrong: I've been doing some reading, and it turns out I was right all along: 100cm² refers to an area equal to a square 10cm on a side. 10cm² would be the area of a rectangle 1cm x 10cm, or 2cm x 5cm, and so forth. See here, or here. Or here.

Last edited: 24 Jan 2013
  9. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I always liked the look of the Intel boards. The colour schemes and layout always look crisp and fresh. The only thing stopping me from picking one up was the features missing that other boards had. It was never a cost issue as the quality was clearly there and warranted the price. It's a shame really but whatcha gonna do?

10. rollo

rollo Modder

People are a bit confused here.

Intel will no longer sell consumer motherboards aka to joe public.

They will still supply Oems boards for there CPUs as test beds for the mainboards.

11. ArcAngeL

ArcAngeL What's a Dremel?

I wonder if they will still release chipsets then.

12. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

LOL @ cm2 debate.

13. blackworx

blackworx Cable Wrangler

+1

10cm x 10cm is categorically 100cm² - I think this is a perfect example of Muphry's Law in action. None of it gets away from centimetres being awful SI units though - their mere existence causes confusion, lol!

Regarding the actual subject matter, it's not unsurprising but still a pity to see Intel stop making motherboards. Since Abit went the way of the Dodo Intel have been the only ones with really good onboard fan control suitable for proper silencing of air-cooled PCs straight out of the box. Despite other manufacturers (most notably Asus) making a big noise* and designing lots of logos and graphics for their boards' temp/fan control abilities, Intel has just quietly* gone about showing them how it's done.

* puns not intentional, honest :naughty:

Last edited: 25 Jan 2013
  14. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

The company's exit from the market comes as a shock

Really? If you read about Intel's drop in profits due to tablet and competing devices it comes as no shock at all that they will change the business model to adapt to the current market trends - a trend that is now establishing itself and the new norm.

I for one and pleased that they are exiting, rightly or wrongly this shows that the top dogs at Intel are reacting to a profit dip, changing their global business model and attempting to adapt to the changing consumer needs.

I guess you just need to look at Comet and HMV to see that even though the markets are different, change in any sector is required.

Good stuff.

15. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

This immediately struck me as good news.

Were we not discussing very recently Intel's plan to do "non-swappable" CPU's? Where the cpu was soldered to the motherboard?
    One of the arguments was whether intel would use their own boards or a thrid party board.
    My thoughts are this question has just been answered.

16. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

17. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

18. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

Took too long for them to get out the market.

19. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

I've had a few, they are generally rock solid in reliability terms, 3 year warranty on the retail versions matches anything the other manufacturers put out and in my experience better customer service if something did go wrong. As for less "features" it depends what you are looking for in a board, overclocking sure but their media boards are excellent.

Frankly while this is a wise move business wise, I'll miss their boards. Although it should be noted (as per the article) that it could be a good while before they stop producing them. I suspect we might even see Intel branded boards for the next generation if they are already in the pipeline.

20. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Personally I'll miss Intel boards if they go. A lot of the kit I deal with at work is based on Intel motherboards and having worked with many brands over the 10 years I've worked in desktop support, I've always found Intel to be one of the most stable and low failure rate board manufactures available.