1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows BBC Top Gear

Discussion in 'General' started by samkiller42, 13 Dec 2010.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

SIARPC - Damien Lewis was pretty good in the snow.
    P45 - Would much rather see the Nissan Deltawing replica they built in the summer.
    Bentley - No wonder they changed the seats. James' would have been unusable afterward.
    Hyuararar - Amazing car, Agonizing price. We need a mod based off that steampunk interior

2. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Pagani Huayra, looks fantastic, capable of turning at 1.66g :jawdrop::clap:

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I thought Damien Lewis was one of the best SIARPC guests they've ever had

First time in a long time I didn't just mute that bit.

4. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

I loved watching him cross the finish line sideways :D

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

+1, there's probably been a dozen or so interesting guests on there, and a proper petrolhead at that. :D

Overall I was a bit disappointed in that ep, the Huayra was a good piece, the Bentley one was decent, but the stupid Clarkson dicking about was thoroughly boring - we've seen enough of that. The P50 was funny a couple of seasons ago, that wasn't.

6. Steelez

Steelez Minimodder

It was trying far too hard. The SIARPC was good, as others have mentioned, the Bentley bit wasn't bad. The Hyuwhatever part was ok until they started using dubstep every time they cut to a shot of the car moving. The P45 part was slightly funny at the beginning (seeing him on the A roads) and then was just embarrassingly bad. Overall, disappointing.

7. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

It was a bit too scripted, The bently piece was good, as was the hyarua review, although I have doubts about its lap time being legit, although that's me.

As others have mentioned, the P45 was stupid, and a waste of time. It'd have been feesable if he'd used a proper quad- I.e 4stroke, 500cc? That's probably do 50mph too. and be less noisy. and less of a faff filling up.

Edit: also, Damien Lewis was pretty funny as a guest.

8. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I thought the P45 part was hilarious and another example why Clarkson is a genius. Some just don't get it I suppose and should stick to watching 5th Gear, don't worry you wont be missed ;)

9. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I know I'm in a small minority with this, but I long for the days of the original Top Gear. I would love a semi-serious magazine style show where they look at silly cars but also properly at more realistic ones too. Maybe a a 10 minute OTT feature per episode.

I just don't find the trio all that amusing any more, it's badly acted nonsense most of the time. Clarkson was quite fun once, he's like a broken record now.

TL;DR I prefer 5th Gear :p

*runs and hides*

10. Snips

Well that was the reason it had to change and go on to become one of the best selling and most watched BBC shows on the planet.

5th Gear adopted the old boring style TopGear used to have and has now had to do a channel change to try to wake up it's viewers but even that hasn't improved a thing.

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Really? It's the first of the new-generation hypercars that they've put round the track, they haven't got to the Agera R, Hennessey Venom, Zenvo ST1 (although we won't see that on the show I don't think - it's already 2 years old) etc etc. All hilariously high-powered machines that are a grade above the current top stuff (except the Huayra, obviously).

Not sure if any of you can stand him, but the Harris/Driven piece on the Huayra was excellent:

and the Koeniggsegg one is worth watching too:

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

5th Gear was a car show. Top Gear is a light entertainment show, based around cars.

Also, am I the only one who thinks the Huayra is outrageously ugly.. I mean, I know I didn't have my glasses on, but still.. It looks someone took an Enzo and bashed it with a planishing hammer a couple of times. I know its about looks vs aero, but the Venom manages to pull that off for example (and yes, I know its basically a stretched Elise style..)

I'd rather have a slower car that's actually 'beautiful' any day.

13. Snips

I think it was the wing mirrors that just look so out of place.

14. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

The P45 section was just a rehash of the old P50 piece mixed in with the car they built themselves a few seasons ago. They have been there and done it already and did it better first time.

15. Snips

I disagree

16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peel_P50

17. bagman

bagman Minimodder

I am still undecided on the front nose myself. I just think the front nose of the Zonda looks better. But other than that I think it looks very nice. I at first wasn't sure about the looks of the Ferrari 458 until I saw it in the flesh. I hope the Huayra is a similar story.

18. Bufo802

Bufo802 Minimodder

The Huayra didn't look that good in silver on the top gear track but the one they had in the studio (and shown in the video above) with glossy red/dark green paint is quite stunning.

19. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Am I the only one who thinks it looks absolutely gorgeous? The Zonda was the ugly one IMO (well, perhaps not ugly, but bland).

20. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

We are all getting older but they are really starting to be an annoying bunch of old blokes especially with the very old and tired, "That didn't go well" type of "script", Hammond looked quite ill at times, like a rabbit with mixi with those eyes bulging out.

OK so they have turned a motoring program into petrol head entertainment and it can't be that easy to always come up with something original but you have to wonder how long they can keep getting the viewers, overall I thought the first episode was average with them all trying way too much and being even more stereotypical of themselves than usual especially Clarkson and the P45 which went on way too long and was pretty boring and predictable, never saw the car wash coming :rolleyes: hopefully the season will improve.

Last edited: 28 Jan 2013