1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 or Windows 8 for gaming laptop.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Shielder, 17 Jan 2013.

?

Windows 7 or Windows 8?

Poll closed 22 Jan 2013.
  1. Win 7 - go with what you know!

39.1%
  2. Win 8 - shiny shiny!

60.9%
  1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Windows 7, unless you have a touchscreen.

Personal preference really, but I prefer 7 as I'm more familiar with it.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Of course you can.

You can leave it as is and, as soon as you'll have installed a desktop program that can open the file that you opened, Windows will open it using the default program (Metro app), and then pop-up "You have another program that can view this file". click on the pop-up, and you'll see this:
    [​IMG]
    Pick the desktop program you want and it will open it with it.

Or, once you install your program(s), you go Default program panel, and you set which program opens what set of files. So you go on Windows Media Player, for example, and click on Set this program as default button.

3. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Well, I got the laptop last night (rearranged delivery from Saturday) and I'm quite happy with the laptop (for the limited time I've messed with it).

I'll probably get used to Windows 8 eventually, but it did take me a few minutes to find the settings (and control panel :rolleyes: ) and I was really confused as to how I turn the damn thing off (until I remembered seeing something labelled 'power' in the bottom right hand corner...)

My biggest issue is that MS expect each and every user to have a Windows account. So I have set up a local account. If I need to install apps from the Windows store (or whatever it's called) I'll log in each time to do so (when I remember my password:sigh:)

Overall, I suppose Windows 8 is okay. It doesn't really make much of a difference to me, just a quick Windows+D to get to the desktop and I'm up and running.

Thanks for the help with the choice guys. If/when I get fed up with it, I'll let you know ;)

Andy

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

My advice would be to get Start8 - its great and well worth the $4.99!

5. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

My personal preference;

Had Windows 7 Ultimate installed on my laptop. I bought windows 8 professional, installed that on my laptop, and hated it after 3 days.

Now back on Windows 7 Ultimate.

I think Windows 8 is great on a touch screen device, other than that, it's not for me. :)

6. GoodBytes

In 2-3 weeks you'll get used to it, and prefer it to the Start Menu.
    By the way, here is my start screen for inspiration on how you can set up your layout.
    http://www.helpweaver.com/dss.png

Nooo.
    Windows account is if you want to sync your settings and purchased app between computers. They worked hard on that feature, might as well push it. But a local account is fine. The only difference is that you need to login ONCE for every app that requires Microsoft service, so: Store, and Music for XBox Music Pass, to get unlimited free music streaming out of 30 million+ song library. And that's about it. Oh and e-mail and calendar.

7. GoodBytes

That will not change. There is a learning curve to pass. If you ignore it, you'll be like XP users jump to Win7 or worst 8, and be completely lost on how to use a computer.

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

OK, I've bought the upgrade and I've been using it for a few weeks

I don't mind it, although I'm not thrilled about the Metro (whatever it's called) interface or the apps. It's quick to boot up and very responsive, I just can't stand the backward step of having to use keyboard shortcuts. Alt F4 to bring up the shutdown box, or a stupidly protracted journey with the mouse to close it down - wtf happened to a simple two click shutdown - yes, I know you can set up a shortcut or download a 3rd party app, but that is NOT the point.

Also, if I just hit return instead of entering my password at startup it gets stuck in a verification loop. This thing is flawed from the get-go.

How do you close out of the marketplace with a mouse? How do you close out of the default video player or photo viewer with a mouse?

You can't! Sure, you can get out of it, but it's left running in the background unless you Alt-F4 the fcuking thing.

Despite all that, I actually don't mind it - it is just a re-skinned windows 7 afterall (it makes use of Win7 drivers), available on the cheap (until Feb 1st); and I'll be buying at least one if not two more copies very soon - at full price I wouldn't touch it.

I'm a geek, so I know I'll be able to mangle this thing to do what I want, it's just sooo frustrating that it's so fundamentally flawed out of the box.

YEHBABY likes this.
  9. GoodBytes

I agree. Hopefully an option will be added, like under the menu of your account name on the start screen, or something in the coming up updates of Windows 8.
    For now I do Win+I, and click on shutdown, or hit the power button.

I don't have this issue.

Windows treat these programs like your cellphone where they put in suspense state.
    Anyway, to force close them, simply take your mouse at the bottom of the screen, and drag down.

Like so:

You can also move your mouse to the left and right to snap it on your screen.
    So you can have an RSS reader on the left or right and your desktop, or XBox Music playing and your desktop, for example.
    Example: http://www.helpweaver.com/desksb.png

Alternatively, you can move your mouse to the top left corner of your screen, and slide down, you'll see a list of running or suspended Modern UI apps, you can center click to close them, or you can right-click on them, and select "Close'.

And of course you have Alt+F4, if you want to use your keyboard.

Full price it's not really worth it, I agree on this. But if you need a Windows, then yea sure, it will be very hard to find Windows 7.

Everyone says that when they are not used to it, or know how to use it. While they are minor quirks, its not like previous version of Windows didn't have it's share of quirks. You just got used to them, that they become invisible to you.

Last edited: 29 Jan 2013
  10. ggicollegeindia

ggicollegeindia What's a Dremel?

I prefer Windows 8 for gaming because it's too better for gaming purposes..I'm also using this window for playing games...:clap:

11. Xir

Xir Modder

I don't quite get your focussing on the "Start Menu".
    The only thing I use the start menu for is shutting down :D, stuff i need is on my desktop.

Seriously, who starts stuff from the start menu in Win7 or XP?
    Sometimes it sounds like Win8 is the first time Icons (sorry..."tiles") ;) are used.