1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Win8 pro upgrade- ended up with dual boot?

Discussion in 'Software' started by cdb, 29 Jan 2013.

1. cdb

cdb No comment

I upgraded Vista 32bit to Win8 64bit today and it gives me the option to load Win8 or Vista?!?
    I booted from a dvd (image saved to it from the download) so I assume it was a clean install.

How can I get rid of the vista option? Another reinstall.

2. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I saw the Windows 8/7 dual boot screen once when Windows 8 first booted. It was a clean install onto a partition with W7 already installed (without formatting). I then never saw it again on any subsequent start ups.

If it's doing it persistently but there is no W7 install actually on the system then it's probably just the bootloader. The repair option on the OS select screen should help I imagine.

3. Addie

Addie What's a Dremel?

The reason you have ended up with a dual boot machine is because you cannot upgrade from a 32bit OS to a 64bit OS, it needs to be a clean install. It is probably easiest to just do a clean install now, I expect it is using the vista boot loader, so unless you want to fiddle with changing that a clean install will be simpler.

4. cdb

cdb No comment

I thought I had done a clean install booting from the DVD. What did I do wrong then?

5. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

You have to do a custom install, its one of the first screens when booting from the disk. After selecting custom, the drive you want to install win8 on should be formatted.

6. cdb

cdb No comment

Sorted, but having trouble with updates failing and 4 yellow exclamation marks that need sorting.

7. cdb

cdb No comment

Well I got rid of 2 of the exclamation marks.

Giving up on the windows updates as they keep failing. Got it down to the last 5 now. Only taken somewhat over 3 hours. Can't say Win8 is impressing me so far.

8. cdb

cdb No comment

Well after failing updates, device drivers not loading, bluetooth not working, one blue screen, various system hangs, Win8 pro can go hang itself and the wife can carry on with Vista.
    Spent about 4 days trying to sort this. Installed Win7 pro and had no issues in a couple of hours.

9. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

At least you can sell your license for loads now :)

10. cdb

cdb No comment

Yeah, true. I noticed when I moved my hard drive into a newer laptop to try and get round the update issue (which worked btw) it said this copy of windows was already activated on another pc. How do I unactivate it so I can sell it or more likely use it legit on another pc?

Last edited: 3 Feb 2013
  11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

phone actiivation