1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays 27in 120Hz monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smc8788, 2 Feb 2013.

1. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

So I've had a U2711 for the last 18 months or so and while I do love it, I have been considering swapping it for a 120Hz model. I know it might sound crazy, but I don't get time to do as much photography as I used to, so I very rarely do any image editing that would require the colour accuracy of an IPS monitor. I also sit directly in front on the monitor so I don't need the greater viewing angles. I had a Samsung 2233RZ 120Hz monitor a few years ago and I loved the buttery smooth gaming performance it gives - the 3D is a nice bonus addition but not the primary reason for wanting a 120Hz monitor.

However, as I don't really want to take a backwards step in terms of screen size, I was wondering if any of the available 27" 120Hz monitors were any good? Are there any that stand out as being the best, or that you would recommend? I'm obviously not expecting IPS levels of image quality, but I don't want a dog of a TN panel either.

My only concerns would be whether the 1080p resolution would look bad on a 27-inch display due to the low PPI, and whether I would miss the extra resolution vs the U2711. I don't mind the 16:9 aspect ratio on the U2711, but I'm not sure whether that's because it has such a high resolution that I don't notice it so much.

Anyone here own or have first hand experience with 27-inch 1080p monitors (120Hz or not)?

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I am afraid they are no 120Hz monitor at 2560x1440 at any price point whats so ever no mater what panel technology you are looking at. They are all 1920x1080.
    Already you need some serious power to play your games at 120fps at 1080p, mixing 2560x1440, won't be fun.

Getting a 27inch version is the same as the 23/24inch. Resolution is the same, but pixels are bigger and distance between pixels is also larger, making things less sharp, like having a TV close to you.

3. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I had 3x 27" 1080p monitors, and the pixel pitch is fine on that size of screen from the normal seating position, and will look as sharp as any 24" 1080p monitors.
    (Going from a Dell 3008WFP with a pixel pitch of 0.25mm pixels to a 27" 1080p monitor with a pixel pitch of 0.27mm is not going to be noticeable to the naked eye in sharpness.

Only when you jump upto a 37" TV will the pixel pitch start to look horrid and the sharpness drops making the image look zig zaggy, even with 32XAA.

Been there, did it, got the T-shirt.:p

I'd look at the Asus 144Hz 27" monitor if your budget allows. Seems to have great reviews too. ;)

4. Seb.F

Seb.F Minimodder

The problem is that it is all personal preference. I personally cannot stand 1080 screen sizes over 26" as I think it looks horrible! Too large for a screen that size.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

5. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I can't see how 0.01mm per pixel is going to make the image look horrible from going from a 24" 1080p monitor to a 27" 1080p monitor...

Check out my triple 27" thread to make your own decision Clicky

6. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

I've had both the Asus VG278H and VG278HE. The H has built in 3D emitter whereas the HE is 144Hz capable.

Both of them support lightboost, so you can do the CRT-like perfect motion clarity trick on them: www.techngaming.com/home/guide/tips...blur-while-gaming-with-nvidia-lightboost-r485

Which I do recommend you try if you play FPS at all. Makes a massive difference!

As for 1080p at this resolution, it looks fine, it really does. I think you will notice a difference in terms of text on the desktop at first, because stuff won't be as fine as your 1440p monitor but you'll soon forget that. And 120Hz is just fantastic.

Also if u are interested in the lightboost trick, I should mention that the H is superior. I sold the HE because the lightboost trick had a lot of ghosting with that panel, whereas the VG278H I have now has near-perfect clarity with nigh on unnoticeable ghosting (in Windows I mean, you can barely notice ghosting in games with either panel but it's super annoying in windows).

Edit: nice to see someone that knows their peripherals! Topre keyboard, Zowie EC1, goddamn T1's! Approved :thumb:

Also in case you wanna try a VG278H (27" 1080p 120Hz panel) I was thinking about swapping out for a U2711 actually (lol) so perhaps we could sort something out? I just don't play FPS any more and am missing my IPS colours. It's an RMA replacement as of last week or so (managed to break the backlight of the first one :worried:)

Last edited: 2 Feb 2013
  7. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

You can play with the VG278H at Yoyotech on Tottenham Court Road.

I wonder if it's the light-boost trick breaking the back-light :joke:

Possible interest in your VG278H

8. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Haha I do doubt it, the backlight was dodge before I even knew about the lightboost trick!

It's using lightboost exactly how it is meant to be used, except you are not doing the extra interleaving for 3D. 2D lightboost it's called, perfectly safe :)

9. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Thanks for your comments guys, I've just done a bit of research myself and between what I've read around the web and what you guys have said I think I'm sold on the Asus.

Hamza - I will probably be ordering the VG278H next week, but if I manage to resist the temptation of clicking the buy button I will let you know. Barring me being completely unhappy with the Asus my U2711 will almost certainly be available after that though if you do decide to swap it out when you get it back from RMA - just drop me a PM. I'm pretty sure I still have the box for it but it could take me a while to track it down so I won't be selling it straight away.

10. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Thanks mate, actually I decided against an IPS for now, I think I'm going to buy one of the just released 144Hz 24" panels. Been reading about the new VG248QE on OCN and it looks spanking. Lightboost strobes of 1.4ms and stuff.

Consequently I just put my VG278H up in the marketplace, about half an hour before reading this. My RMA replacement already came through a couple weeks ago, it was a very quick process. Anyway just so you know it's there, in case you want to shave a few £s off the new price.

11. HybridCore

HybridCore What's a Dremel?

Overlord Tempest monitors. They take the popular Korean 27" IPS monitor, the Catleap, and get the 2B PCBs. What's so special about these is that these PCBs is that these PCBs and the A or A- grade IPS panel (the one used in the Apple Cinema Display and I believe the...U2711) can be overclocked up to 120Hz in some cases. Overlord sort of does a bit of QC with these.

The only issue might be some fairly shallow blacks, as these panels don't exactly have the greatest black depth but they're definitely not the worst. I think TFTCentral.co.uk has a review of one of these Korean monitor variants.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

VG278HR update is out in ~March FYI.

Catleaps rarely do over 100 from what I've read. Most people get 70s-90s out of them, and the quality is hit or miss at best because you're overclocking the panels. Some people love em, some don't.

13. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

The Tempests are out of stock, and cost like $530 before shipping, but yes that is otherwise (has some risks e.g warranty) an attractive option.

14. GoodBytes

It must be noted that this is not true 120Hz. IPS panel can't turn the LCD liquid fast enough. Sending more power to switch it faster, works, but it must stop at some level to burn the LCD liquid. As you will be feeding 120fps on a panel that can't, you'll get a visual mess... it might look smoother the the untrained eye, and low standard/expectation users, but it's not.. it's ghosting. It's like CRT TV's back in the old days that due to the way it display, it adds and automatic Anti-aliasing effect on the visuals. Hence why the Wii looks much better on a CRT monitor than a LCD with the same resolution.

15. HybridCore

HybridCore What's a Dremel?

I'd have to say $530 is still good for a 27" monitor. Usually they go near $1000 (at least the Dell Ultrasharps do).

16. GoodBytes

Yes, but you have to remember that you get A or A- panels, not an A+ (no issues), and DVI cable is not even included.

17. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Love my new setup:

[​IMG]

Tangster likes this.