1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Midlag Crisis

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 18 Jan 2013.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

This ones better than haters gonna hate I think when it comes to the stars troll. :D

I don't use the ratings anymore BTW, trying to get that nonsense out of my mind but it does stand out like a where's wally in the snow with no people about to me so it tends to bug me, if I knew who gave a bad rating I could appreciate the rating more & it would be very unlikely to bug me. ;)

In fact it motivates me to say hell yes to competition, :D if bit-tech would want that if I haven't disgraced myself too much which I might have, I don't really know, but I think an obnoxious sigh of relief on the news of competitions was heavily due, being here as an uncompetitive modder & getting strolled would make no sense at all but I sure won't ever break myself for deadlines again though, that was a silly move on my part, had so much to do in so little time at a time when I was getting easily distracted too much, if I ignore stupid distractions completely & just mod on I'd be a far more productive & brighter modder, I just need to remember that.

I do need to get all my humanity back to decent levels though otherwise I might have trouble distinguishing harmful trolling from people just having a laugh like I almost did with cheaps, that is a freak occurrence of thinking up the same idea, if people even slightly know me by now they'd know I'd have given a shout out for it if it wasn't my own thinking, the vandal switch housing was something I had in mind, the marble came when I was looking for an alternative for the fan controller knobs & I wouldn't have done that if Cleveland didn't express how it didn't look right with stock knobs sticking out so the marbles was a total fluke & I really thought it was something new in modding, marbles really stood out as something I couldn't believe I've not seen used in modding before with there being so many nice looking ones & they are all different unlike vandal switches. :D

As some say great minds think alike but in my case with some fluke chance also, the chances of making the same kind of switch with a marble, what the heck could they be?, it's crazy. :lol:

I'm slightly embarrassed for thinking it was something new but definitely not ashamed to have thought it up 5 years after it was new lol, it's an awesome idea & just got my 2nd version completed, far more compact, I'll be using these regular as well as the bigger ones, I'd love to know what went through Cheapskates mind when he seen me making it lol, I don't know how he held back from saying he already made one & instead hinted a good few times & me not asking what he meant which I should have. :D

Thought I needed to get any potential negative stuff out of the way before my next update. :)

The upcoming update is pretty bad logging BTW with feeling a little negative about the ratings so I wasn't taking shots while bits were in progress & instead showing parts I made or are semi made, I'll get back to regular logging though after this update.

2. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

It became evident to me that I'd lost all mine when I ignored this thread by not recognizing the key word "Waynio" under the title :hehe:

Looking great, btw!

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: Thanks silicon :)

Update time. :D

Idea I hope will work.
    I'm hoping this is something new lol, got these concentrated dyes & metal lacquer, going to try for an anodising alternative & will be able to make any colour, makes sense it would work, I'll test on scraps ASAP, I used metal lacquer all over stealthlow & it's great stuff hard wearing & invisible so should be a great alternative to anodising enabling more creativity. :D
    [​IMG]

PCI/IO mobo tray
    2 1mm alu panels & I re made 1 of them because I did them the same on first go & 1 was meant to be 2mm diameter smaller for the IO shield (mixed the templates up accidentally), 2 5mm & 1 3mm acrylic piece which is fully stuck together with tensol 12 & then cut & I drilled & added brass inserts for the bent PSU support & SSD mount strips & inserts for the connecting to the mobo tray & the expansion slot, I'll be using 10mm female to female spacers, this would have been easier logging for me & easier reading for you if I took step by step pictures with brief descriptions lol d'oh.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marble vandal switch
    Stuck the acrylic bits together for the marble button, it's 2 3mm pieces with 1 of them having a 4mm larger hole so the 16mm ID 20mm OD pipe fits into it, 1 3mm piece & a 1mm piece with an OEM Lian Li switch inside held firm, I added brass inserts to it to mount to the front panel also, it's a bit rough looking but I don't care, it functions spot on & is smaller than I intended it to be with the front being countersunk deeper than intended which is a nice bonus, I'll have to get a side by side shot of this switch & a vandal switch for size comparison, also re made the 3mm panel which had mismatching curves.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The HDD dock connector piece.
    Mix of 4mm alu for the grip piece, 3mm alu for a strong cover & 1 5mm layer with pass through & somewhere to mount the cables & then a 3mm & 5mm piece below for solid support, this piece isn't complete yet & hope it goes to plan, requires real high accuracy to work right but it all seems on track.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut a 140mm akasa apache fan frame away ready for fixing to the custom frame, I'm keeping the 4 legs for extra stability, these custom fans I had to make 1mm deeper than a normal fan so they are all 26mm.
    [​IMG]

Apologies for the slack logging on this update, I just got on with making it & took pictures after which makes it more difficult to explain what I did lol, I'll try to get back to regular step by step logging from now but things like using tensol 12 acrylic adhesive I don't mess about because it dries fast & is very toxic so messing about with the camera while doing stuff like that isn't a good idea.

I think I'm going to be gutted this isn't for me lol, it's really turning out pretty sweet I think. :D

Last edited: 27 Jan 2013
    bulldogjeff likes this.
  4. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Looking good Wayne. This one slipped by me. I see you're following a very similar style to your current build.Nothing wrong with that, it's a lovely style.

As for forgetting to take pic, welcome to my world mate. I get lost in the work and go crashing through it and he camera sits a few feet away collecting dust..lol

It doesn't matter mate, we can still see from what you are showing that it's a wicked build mate.

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

Top modding Wayne..+ rep

5. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

Hell no, I don't think Bit-Tech care or probably even notice many of the posts that are critical of this site, there have been polls wanting the star ratings and the reputation system scrapped and many complaints about the adverts but nothing changes...

Don't worry about it, it's near impossible to come up with a totally new idea most things are a variation on a theme, I had someone pm me on "that other modding site" just to tell me in great detail that I was not the first person to use gas struts on a PC build they sent links to pictures of other builds to "prove their point" as they described it, I have never said that it was an original idea and I never bothered looking to see if anyone else had done it because I couldn't care less, I liked the idea and I did it, if some don't like it I don't give a f**k, my struts, my build, get over it :D

Lovely work on this build, got to love those SSD's so light and easy to mount just about anywhere and those dyes & metal lacquer look very interesting, after all the polishing I have done on my latest build it's not something I will be doing on many future builds so I'm interested in what can be achieved with dyes and lacquer.
    Resident Evil, Oh yeh, I still remember those dogs, jumped feet when they came through the window :rock:

Last edited: 28 Jan 2013
  6. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

looks sweet. Look forward to seeing how the dye in the lacquer works out

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Jeff, it's not so much forgetting to take progressive pictures along with detailed descriptions of what's going on, it's more like what's the point really if people are going to give bad ratings, all that does for me is motivate me to not do good logging & view bit-tech as just another place I post at, that's what happens when people force you to not care, you become detached from the place, if that's what people want I won't fight it. :)

Whether they care or not, I certainly don't anymore. :D

I hate it when people get petty like that about regular objects but just because it's used in a PC mod they claim originality rights, they are the biggest 1 trick pony phony wieners in modding & really lack ideas if they get so anal about things like a gas strut. :lol::duh:

Cheaps had good reason to be surprised though, it's a crazy idea we both had 5 years apart, he's light years from being a 1 trick pony though so he wasn't a wiener about it. :D

I'll get the dyed metal lacquer tested out soon, after this case is made & after I clear up the workshop. :)

And that res evil mutant dog scene, looks so completely lame now but yeah I remember that making me jump out of my skin, was awesome, that was when Capcom knew how to make people jump out of their skin. :lol:

Cheers Shiny. :)

Thanks Mosquito, will be soon for finding out if it does or doesn't work nice, really hope it does. :)

Bars & rods cut to size & given perfectly flat ends.
    [​IMG]

Even templates on rods seemed a good idea & it was. :)
    [​IMG]

Done, and that guide tool I made for drilling the center of rods I did the same for square bars & it works awesome. :lol:
    [​IMG]

Fixed things together, need longer screws for the fan.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bye for now. :)

l3p likes this.
  8. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

You are evil Waynio-I jawdrop so much that I had to go to hospital to fit my jaw back. :jawdrop:

9. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

How could I have missed this lovely piece of art... Can I still follow Waynio? :p

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:lol: I bet you get a lot of filings in the wash. Looking good.

11. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Shaping up good waynio!

12. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

I have been a bit absent from the modding pages, but been keeping an eye on this project.
    Your work never seizes to amaze me. Amazing stuff :D

13. Paslis

Paslis Minimodder

Waynio you are a modding machine mate awesome like always and your dad sure is a lucky guy. :D

14. flix

flix Minimodder

Amazing work :jawdrop:

15. Korvus

Korvus May contain traces of sanity.

Hurray :D More delicious metalwork :D

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:lol: Thanks Pranja. :)

Probably would have been missed a lot more if I did it in the time I expected to, still on 6 sessions though, thanks Peter. :D

I leave aluminium dust trails a few steps away from the cellar. :lol:
    This project should make up for that, thanks cheaps. :D

Thanks silicon. :)

:) Thanks Sarakon appreciated.

Well met fellow mod machine, thanks Paslis. :D

Thanks flix :)

:D Thanks Tech_Jakl.

The egg has hatched & the chick has stumbled out & I name that chick Salamick, Salami mixed with a lick. :D

Firstly this is just some basic experimental colour finishing looking for an alternative to regular methods that can be done quickly & easily without need for a special setup or special conditions, I took quite a bunch of shots to show how it looks from different angles too because it does look not too far from perfect on some & very imperfect on others depending on how the light catches it.

Could have just shown the best view points of it to blag everyone but I'd rather show how it really is.

About 30 drops of black added to a bottle of metal lacquer & shaken, gave 1 coat & also masked a few strips for a 1st attempt, gave it some adidas stripes on a shark fin lol.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then emptied the whole bottle in & shaken, become far more potent.
    [​IMG]

Salami, or even black pudding that's what this dotty finish reminds me of lol.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then applied a 2nd coat & the trouble with 2 coats is it needs to be applied perfectly or it can look messy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tried green, emptied the full bottle in & gave a shake.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1st coat covered better than the black but still had dots, just not as many.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2nd coat produced some interesting effects but they can only be appreciated on a macro shot with direct light bouncing off it otherwise it doesn't look so good.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure what to make of it, on one hand it's kinda like flip paint with how different it looks from angles, on the other it's not quite as awesome as I imagined but it is hard wearing & the theory does work just not as nice looking as I imagined, as it stands it's no comparison for a good anodising job but I should give a scrap piece a brush finish to see if that helps, this was all done on freshly peeled aluminium scraps without any prep work.

Ideally I would like to get this technique so it's doable with 1 coat so the surface texture of the aluminium is visible like anodising but with a solid consistent colour so I'll have to continue playing with this idea to see if I can improve on it, it's already proven to work, just needs perfecting.

Opinions are very welcome on what you think of it, awful or has potential so worth persisting to get the method perfected?.

My dad got back today 2 days earlier than I was told of the 8th & the 2 days before that I was cleaning up the house, the screws still haven't come so I'm going to get everything else done tonight so it's ready for assembly tomorrow "if" the screws come, ordered a load of countersunk & button head screws.

During the night if there is time I'll also try some other ideas for anodising alternative.

17. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

I must say I love the look of those greenish/dark scrap pieces. However, I can also imagine doing a full case in this finish will make it look a bit messy....Maybe you can use this finish on some of the detailing :)

18. Father-Time

Father-Time Minimodder

Hi Waynio,
    Looking great so far, amazing saw skills :)
    Did you paint on the laquer? Is the consistency maybe usable through a airbrush, or maybe its possible to "dip", pre treat the alu with adhesion promoter for better stickability :)

Definetly worth experimenting more i think, i really like the two tone look :thumb:

19. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Some fascinating results there. Would be interesting to see how it does with the alu brushed first. I know someone who works with metals, will ask them see if they have any ideas.

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Azariel, looks good on close up under the right light, a bit m'eh under regular light :D think your right about maybe use it sparingly. :)

Thanks Father-Time, yes brushed on with an ox hair brush so super soft wide brush but still leaves brush strokes when mixing the dyes, it is sprayable though but I just tried something else & it's a really good alternative to anodising. :dremel::idea:

Thanks mate, :D brushing was for round 2 but got a better idea & it worked. :eeek::rock:

Super fun happy ramble.

Well I've really gone & found an anodising alternative & the most difficult bit is mastering applying metal lacquer in 1 coat (something I'm working on perfecting), had a glob bit but that's due to the brush I used for applying dyed lacquer so still had some green in there lol & had 1 blank dot which I don't know how that happened but the result compared to brushing dyed lacquer is infinitely better, I think this is as close to anodising as I'll get without anodising.

Here is what I done.

Roughed up a piece of 5221 grade aluminium with 150 grit wet'n'dry paper.

Cleaned it with the t-shirt I'm wearing lol.

Applied 1 quick brush of metal lacquer on all sides & edges.

Cured fast with heat gun.

Picked out the shabbiest source pan hopefully no one would miss :D filled it with water & brought to the boil & got it to simmer.

Then dumped some black dylon clothes dye powder in the water which I bought quite a while ago for dying plastics, gave it a stir, threw the aluminium strip in & left it for a few seconds, pulled it out & it was taking the dye so put it back in & let it continue for 5 to 10 minutes checking on it now & then to make sure it was getting darker, it sure was, yipeeee. :eeek::jawdrop::D

It didn't look very black & more of a burnt colour but gave it a wipe with tissue, it didn't come off which was an awesome sign :D & still looked a burnt colour so then took it to the sink to rinse off any excess dye & the piece turned nice & black like magic :D I was rather joyed & still am, dried it & tried scratching it to see how resistant it is & it is very resistant to scratching, even more than just metal lacquer so this is just perfect.

I'm showing all the pictures I took of the coloured piece, because this is a breakthrough for die hard no outsource modders who want to anodise but won't due to it being hazardous & many other types I believe, dying aluminium without anodising it WTH. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is pretty big for modding I think, I'm pretty chuft I found an alternative environmentally nice solution for something I've been wanting to do for a couple of years but never put much effort into it not thinking on enough whenever trying & all because I'm a cheapskate who isn't keen on outsourcing lol :D wouldn't have been looking for the solution without that, it's not just nicely coloured but still maintains the texture of the aluminium & it's even scratch resistant, awesome.

To do the bigger panels on lean & green I'll have to use a big deep baking tray but this is that awesome I think I might be dreaming & I'll wake up any moment gutted it was just a dream lol, was expecting when I gave it a wipe for it to just fall off or crumble off or something but it's hard, definitely a true alternative to anodising.

Anodising makes a super thin film much like metal lacquer so it just kinda made sense it would work as long as the lacquer would stay on in the hot water, luckily it does & clothes dye gets into it, my unwillingness to outsource has really paid off nicely on this one, it also doesn't prevent heat transfer too, I know this due to Stealthlow, the HDD bays collect the heat from them & even warm the side panels & everything is brushed with metal lacquer on it so does nothing bad for heat transfer, I don't think I'd use this method for water blocks though. :D

You can't dye aluminium without anodising, reheheally. :lol:

Only further testing I'll need to do now is getting times needed for different shades & establishing the perfect temperature but man I'm really pumped about this, the monkey with cymbals in my head is going nuts doing back flips. :D

I'm calling this method Lacqodising. :D

Sarakon likes this.