1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Skyrim?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Karas, 15 Sep 2011.

1. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

I'll take you up on that...

2. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

3. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I've been trying to get ENB on Skyrim again, but whatever I try, the game just crashes.

Is it not longer possible to use ENB with steam? Something to do with steam not allowing the d3d9.dll file???

The game starts, I see the Bethesda logo, then the dragon, then just before it gets to the main menu, it CTDs. If I remove the ENB files, it's fine.

4. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

Have you tried running it via SKSE/Nexus Mod Manager rather than Steam?

5. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Yeah, tried launching from Nexus MM, same thing.

I read somewhere on the net that steam no longer allows the game to run with the ENB d3d9.dll file there, but it doesn't seem to be a very well documented thing on the net, so I can't confirm this.

I have used ENB before, last year some time, and it worked then.

I've tried ENB 0.119 and the latest 0.152 or whatever it is, and also the oldest 0.102. All produce the same problem.

Don't know if it matters, but I've got Skyrim on my SSD, using SteamMover.

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Solved it.

It was the MSI Afterburner on screen display.

Turned that off after some research on the net and it solved it.

7. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

Good result!

As an aside, does having Skyrim run off the SSD offer a real speed difference?

I may take the plunge if it does.

8. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

It doesn't seem to have as big an effect as BF3 does.

The time in loading screens seems to be about the same, whereas BF3 was so so so much quicker at loading maps.

I have noticed that the game (with no ENB, but with Lush grass, lush trees etc) at 1920x1080, with 8xAA and 8xAF was running at a constant 60FPS most of the time. Whereas before I got the SSD, it was a bit lower.
    Whether this is due to the SSD, or the reinstall of windows, or a skyrim patch or something else I don't know, :D

Also, I don't know if having it on the SSD via SteamMover has any effect on performance, as my steam library is still on a mech drive. I don't know how these folder shortcut things work well enough to comment on that.

9. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Giving this another go,

I was level 25 ish and gave in as i got board with it,
    Starting from the beginning again with all the "2K HD mods" along with some other bug fixing mods ect.

Hope i enjoy it better this time around!

10. PauloWhysalli

PauloWhysalli Confused.com

I've just downloaded this again to give it another go. Are you using SKSE? What other mods are you using??

11. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

12. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

This game has eaten my entire life. :D

13. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I'm still on my first play through, been trying to do everything and each time I jump on there and go to clear something off my list I find another couple of bits to be doing, even after 140+ hours on it.

I kinda want to start again as there are bits I wan to do differently and others I really want to go back to and see again such as Sovangarde right at the end of the main story, that place was just beyond awesome.

14. CdnGhost

CdnGhost What's a Dremel?

LOL... and drained a fair chunk of cash from my bank account to build a new system so i can again play skyrim.... :jawdrop:

15. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

i'm having a second playthrough before i start dawnguard or dragonborn. i've got some bug with skyUI, so while it works, inventory menus pause for 6-8 seconds before loading. i'm assuming i need a new version of SKSE or something, but for now i'm trying to get through it with minimal use of the inventory. Boy have i left behind a lot of loot.

16. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Though I haven't played in ages skyUI normally doesn't work at all if your SKSE is out of date (to the mod version).
    I have however experienced that sort of lag when opening chests if they had a lot of stuff in it (200+ items in the list).

/2cents :thumb:

17. adrock

i thought it might be that, but it started doing it with empty containers. that's the only thing throwing an error for me, so i'll update it tonight and give it another try.

no inventory trawling can be fun though, like picking a weapon and sticking with it far longer than you should (iron dagger of sparks at level 19 Cheesecake).

18. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

SkyUI takes a little to load so it's not that bad.

19. adrock

it's a lot slower than it was previously for me, but i suspect my skse is from way back before dragonborn was released because that's when i last played it. I didn't get round to it last night, only had about half an hour of arma before bed :/