1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Home Networking help.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fuus, 9 Feb 2013.

1. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Current setup:

-HomeHub 2.0 ---Cat5e--- Homeplug (85MBPS Rated) ---Cat5e--- My Desktop
    - ---Cat5e--- YouView Box / HTPC
    - ---Cat5e--- N40L Microserver
    - ->-Wireless-<- Family PC

I am currently getting 2.7ish MB/s transferring my iTunes library. How would I go about setting this up to achieve quicker transfer speeds? Will I need new homeplugs, gigabit switch and Cat6 cables? or is there an easier way?
    Due to living in a 1750s farm house there is no hope of me being able to Ethernet my desktop or HTPC :(
    Thanks, Fuus

2. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

What speed is the wireless as its the likely culprit here?

If the wireless is syncing at 40Mbps or so that would be the correct speed given overheads etc.

The HH is Gigabit I believe, the cables are fine, so the wireless or Homeplug would be the culprit depending on the exact setup you have.

3. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

The wireless only connects my family pc, my iTunes is currently copying from my desktop to the N40L.
    A bit of googling has revealed that the HH is only 100mb/s ethernet. I would guess the answer is therefore gigabit switch and new homeplugs!

4. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Speed test - as current I'm getting 24Mbps write, 17.6Mbps read

5. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Sorry why can't you just get a longer ethernet cable?

6. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Different floors + old house makes it virtually impossible to run ethernet.

7. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

And old wiring that will probably kill the homeplug speed.

No possibilities to run ethernet cable at all? Even if you are a little creative? Mine runs up the gap beside the flu on my chimney to get upstairs. All I needed was a couple of hours, a set of push/pull rods and a lot of patience.

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Sorry i must be missing something, why would that affect anything? Just run it along the skirting boards or whatever?

If it's an old house the homeplugs will most likely be underperforming, and if it has thick walls wireless will be pretty bad as well.

9. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

The house was re-wired circa 2002 :)

I'm not the home owner (parents) who are adverse to wiring on show in general.

10. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Are the homeplugs plugged directly into a wall outlet?

Plugging into an extension lead adds noise and degrade the speed... especially if the extension lead has surge protection.

Better homeplugs is the first thing to do. They are the bottle-neck in your setup, making the rest of the network GB/Lan might help, but I doubt by much.

If you do upgrade, Cat5e cable is capable of GB/Lan so you don't need to upgrade the cabling.

11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I drilled holes in my floor as near to the skirting as I could get, fitted boxes to the walls, and ran cables in a cupboard, through the ceiling/floor

12. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

They are both directly into wall sockets!

Interestingly most of the floor boards in our house are nailed down - LOGIC.
    Anyway spoke to parents and they're sort of on side about putting Ethernet in.. Due to kitchen re-vamp the floor in my room is going to have to taken up anyway, which means we'll just have to take the floor up on the landing and run the cable down to the cellar and under the dining room floor to the router. 50m Ethernet from eBay, ordered....

13. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Will Ethernet pick up interference from home electrical wiring? The intended route of the cable will run along side the wiring for the whole upstairs of the house for approximately 5 meters.