1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Aliens: Colonial Marines review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 12 Feb 2013.

1. Eldorado

Eldorado Needs new glasses..

Being UE3 I'm sure there are plenty of tweaks through the .ini's. With the inevitable price drop in the near future I shall pick this up purely 'cos it has aliens with acid in their veins.

2. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Yup, THX555 on moddb has done a load of tweaks to add DX10 effects if you can't be bothered to experiment yourself. It does improve the visuals quite a lot.

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

License is a verb and means to give permission ; Licence is a noun and refers to that permission

this aliens games is an example of Brand licensing, ergo the OP is correct.

4. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Any links for this?

5. mighty_pirate

mighty_pirate What's a Dremel?

Most sites review console copies for most games as that's what publishers like to distribute for reviews. It sucks, but better this than nothing.
    I agree that in a lot of ways it feels like Aliens, the soundtrack is great, the atmosphere feels right & there are a lot of really nice references for fans of the series.
    But the graphics are pretty poor for a new "AAA" title, just dated, like something that might have impressed 6-7 years ago. That in itself wouldn't bother me, but with all the other holes in the game you'd hope at least it had stunning visuals to fall back on, but it doesn't... The plot is truly awful & the xenomorph AI is shockingly terrible. Like the review said, THAT last point is the thing that ruins the game, their just not scary, not sneaky, there's no variation in their tactics (bar a few scripted sequences they pretty much beeline straight for you), no variation in move speed, no rapid spiralling down corridors, they're boring.

The multiplayer goes the other way, having much more entertaining gameplay due to avoiding the AI problems by pitting players against each other but holds lots of canonical annoyances for Aliens fans (for me anyway); all the new xenomorph classes that they completely made up, the spitter they could just about get away with canonically, but the rest are ridiculous & entirely new fabrications that make little sense, created just to fill a hole in the game. I think everything that's good about the mp exists in a better form in Left 4 Dead.

6. Ergath

Ergath Giant Zombie Pigeon Photographer

This makes me a sad panda. Why is there so much fail associated with this franchise these days/

7. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

Really wish this was bought on console, so I could trade it in, instead it is linked to my steam account. I will be very selective with what I buy in download only future. Gearbox (and the other developers that were farmed out to create this alien acid) it is absolute crappppppp, even a free season pass would not convince me otherwise....

8. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Try this one http://www.moddb.com/mods/aliensdx10-better-grafik-and-light.

The co-op is kind of fun, it gets a little hectic though as they more or less double up the enemies for two of you and the AI "assistance" is still a touch lacking (remember the Oblivion AI that steps in front of you just as you fire? It's like that).

9. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

How the hell can you possibly screw this up?!

Tags: Add Tags