1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Cosmos Cruizer - Final Pics!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Boddaker, 26 Jul 2012.

1. THRASHER2

THRASHER2 Pimpin' Deals 24/7

I love the EK EyE Candy :rock:

2. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Thanks Pranja, I believe I will! :)

Thanks Nutman, yeah I was hesitant at first, but felt better after the first one came off without incident. Slow and constant pressure is what did the trick!

Thanks Father-Time!

Ahh, good idea. I'll do that next time. :thumb:

Thanks Anthony, more eye candy coming up... :naughty:

Planning out the plumbing on the backside of the Cruizer. I'm going with stainless steel tubing, to simulate automotive fuel/brake lines. Should look pretty sweet! But before running the lines, I had to figure out the best placement for the wc components. It's amazing that even on a cavernous case such as the Cosmos II, I still had to deal with clearance issues lol.

[​IMG]

I'll be running two separate loops: CPU/motherboard/ram, and graphics cards. I got the 420mm EK radiator up top cooling the CPU loop, and the 280mm EK rad in the GFX loop. I figure the 680s won't be putting out as much heat as the processor, especially since I want to do some OCing this time. Both loops go into the EK 250mm X3 res, with one line connecting the res to the dual pumps. Then the two loops split off again from there. I'm a little concerned about the bottleneck there, but I'm trying to eliminate any unnecessary tubing where possible. And with the dual D5 pumps, I'm hoping it will be a non-issue. Lemme know what you guys think.

Pranja likes this.
  3. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Thanks for the tip. +1 rep for that, good sir.

4. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

looks soo neat with the waterblocks!

5. kier

kier -----------------

Didnt know EK had these adapters....love them. And great job offcourse :jawdrop: , subbed all the way ;)

6. Dragulax99

Dragulax99 What's a Dremel?

amazing job :rock:..cant wait to see more updates ...

7. PcJunkie209

PcJunkie209 What's a Dremel?

Quit teasing us Brian!! Looking great bro! :)

8. Boddaker

Thanks KoSoVaR, it's going to get better! :naughty:

Thank you Richard! Yeah I didn't know they had those either, I just stumbled across them on their website. They are exactly what I needed!

Thanks Dragulax, I'll have an update for you in a little bit.

Sorry about the teasers, but I haven't been able to do much real work due to the cold weather. So I've been spending most of my time planning and preparing. Eventually, I'll have something more interesting to show!

9. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

this is going to be awesome! :) love the automotive theme, likes both cars and pc's so what can be better :D

10. Boddaker

Thanks kelmannen. :)

After designing out the plumbing in Sketchup, I've been placing the real parts in the case, to verify my plan will work as it is layed out. So far things have been lining up with minimal adjustments. :)

Here are the 280 and 420 radiators from EK. These things are massive, at 2" thick, but they fill the Cosmos II nicely. :)
    [​IMG]

Got my stack of 140mm fans plus a 200mm intake fan for the case.
    [​IMG]

Trying the fans out on the 280 rad, and placing it in the case.
    [​IMG]

The top 420 rad will go up top, but just barely.
    [​IMG]

As you can see from the side, the radiator will need to be mounted lower into the case so it fits below the bezel. The Cosmos II only has provisions for a 360mm radiator, so I'd have to cut the top panel anyway.
    [​IMG]

Lastly, here is a shot of the Koolance quick disconnect fittings I'll be using to connect the custom manifold, along with the Koolance 1/2" pipe adapters and EK 90º elbow fittings.
    [​IMG]

And I've got more fittings on the way! I found some really awesome push fittings from E22 that will be a perfect fit for this project...

[​IMG]

They also carry the 12mm rigid tubing I'll be using along with these fittings. So as soon as I get those in, I'll be able to get the custom manifold together and mounted on the hardware. Can't wait! :)

11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Love that Editor is selling the fittings. I hadn't noticed he was selling Paslis' reservoirs either.:eeek:

12. Boddaker

Got a little bit more work done last night on the rads. :)

I cut out the top panel to fit the 420mm EK radiator. You can see the size difference between it and the stock provisions for a 360mm rad.
    [​IMG]

Here is the radiator set in place with a couple fans to check height clearance.
    [​IMG]

I also checked the lower radiator clearance. To do this, I set the fiberglass form into the case to give me an idea where the actual fiberglass piece will be. Right now the rad is resting on the form, so it will need to raise up just a bit to clear. I still have about 1/4" room above the fans on top, so I think I'm good.
    [​IMG]

This weekend, I'll file the edges down and get the mounting brackets made up for this rad as well as the lower 280mm rad.

13. Boddaker

Ok, I got a crap-ton of work done on this case over the weekend. :p

Firstly, I got the top radiator mounts made. After measuring how far the rad could go, I cut and bent these four mounts.
    [​IMG]

These will mount to the center fan holes on each side of the rad.
    [​IMG]

And it fits into the case thusly. I still have to add holes to the brackets where they will be fastened to the case.
    [​IMG]

Using my flexible curve to simulate where the top piece will be, you can see how much clearance I will have over the fans once it's all said and done.
    [​IMG]

Here's a front shot of the rad & fans.
    [​IMG]

Now comes the major part of the update. I took the plunge and got the side panel laid up with fiberglass today. It was pretty warm the whole weekend, so I figured I'd give it a go. Here's a shot of all the materials I had to acquire: Resin, catalyst, gel coat, curing agent, cabosil (a thickener), assorted brushes, mixing cups, roller, dispersing pump, measuring squeeze bottle, mixer, gloves, and not shown are the paste wax and PVA mold release.
    [​IMG]

And of course, the fiberglass cloth. I got some heavy duty strand mat and 4oz cloth.
    [​IMG]

Before I could start any of this, I had to prep the form. After sanding up to 1000 grit, I used some meguire's car polish on it. Then I waxed the whole thing four times. After that, I sprayed it with 2 coats of PVA mold release. That was Saturday.

Sunday morning I got the fiberglass cloth pre-cut and clamped the side bezel down around the form.
    [​IMG]

After everything was set up and ready, I started brushing on the gel-coat. This was the point of no return, since the cloth had to go on as soon as the gel-coat was tack-free. Then each subsequent layer of cloth had to follow non-stop until it was finished.
    [​IMG]

After the gel-coat set up, I mixed up some resin with the cabosil thickener to make a paste, then worked it into the tight corners and overhangs where air bubbles were sure to form.
    [​IMG]

After the paste, it was time for the first layer of fiberglass. Starting with the heavy duty strand mat, I layed it over the form and added the resin.
    [​IMG]

This took a good two cups of resin to saturate the mat.
    [​IMG]

Next layer was the 4oz cloth. Procedure was the same, adding resin where needed, saturating the cloth.
    [​IMG]

After three layers of cloth, I added a few scrap pieces to reinforce the corners and overlap the joints. Then I mixed up one last small batch of resin, this time with the curing agent, which helps the final surface cure without being tacky.
    [​IMG]

After a few hours under the heat lamps, it was rock hard and smooth. Time to demold! I turned the form upside down and removed the aluminum sheet, exposing the layered foam.
    [​IMG]

After working the edges, it became apparent I was not going to be able to save the form, so I proceeded to remove it one foam layer at a time.
    [​IMG]

After two layers of foam, I was able to pop the remaining piece of the form out of the fiberglass.
    [​IMG]

And there ya go. Thanks to the 4 coats of wax and 2 coats of PVA, I had no trouble with sticking.
    [​IMG]

behold! A one-piece fiberglass side panel!
    [​IMG]

Now this thing is not totally without its flaws. Upon closer inspection, there are countless air bubbles and a few spots where the gel-coat was too thin. But I can mix up some more of the resin paste and fill those areas back in. And I will undoubtedly have a bunch of bodywork to do before this thing is ready for paint.

But I think for the most part, it came out really well considering this was my first fiberglassing adventure. :)

14. SilveR_172

SilveR_172 Minimodder

Nice mate ! Coming along now !

15. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

I see so much win in this mod.

Fantastic! :D

16. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

I would say thats quite an ambitious first encounter! But by the looks of it, it turned out quite good! Atleast nothing which can't be fixed by a bit of filler and paint :)

17. thegyufi

thegyufi What's a Dremel?

awsome idea, I like your creativity ! :)

18. wahoomcdaniel

wahoomcdaniel Minimodder

[​IMG]

Lots of supplies, but you should probably add a respirator next time.
    Didn't see one in use when you were adding resin.
    Mod for the long haul.

19. AverageNinja

AverageNinja Almost an EpicNinja

I have to say, the more I start looking at those new EKWB blocks, the more I'm starting to like them. Nice progress mate! Keep 'em coming!

20. Elenos

Elenos What's a Dremel?

The OCD in me dislikes that the circles don't line up with where the threads are so you intersecting circles. Plus I am not a fane of the circles really - which is shame as the overall design of a lot of the EK stuff is really nice - but without the circles it would be even better!!