1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Sony announces PlayStation 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 21 Feb 2013.

1. rollo

rollo Modder

Not really sure why sony needed to say that at all as they have never said they would block them in the first place. Was mostly heresay from xbox fans who are wondering if MS Will do the very thing sony has said no to.

2. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Wow... I feel slightly vindicated in things I've said to people in the past now.

1. Usual memory capacity increase in-line with previous generational jumps

2. AND this is WAY more important than people realise - Unified Memory Architecture. The previous NUMA was pretty much one of the largest bane of ports from 360 to the PS3 despite what people said about Cell. Although Cell wouldn't have helped :D

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Because SONY has a patent (application) for that :
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2013/0007892.html

4. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Yeah but with no PC overheads to worry about, it should perform better than a 7870, probably closer to those limited edition 7870's which are failed 7950's.

..and that 8Gb of GDDR5 is very impressive.

5. Panos

Panos Minimodder

GOOD NEWS!!!!

Because PS4 & Xbox 720 going to be just x86-64 multicore machines, with standard DX11 GPU, (4 years old PC specs it seems), means us PC games will get 64bit, multicore, DX11 games also. After waiting 10 years :p

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Sony has had a patent application faug since before the ps3 was made, the Microsoft one is alot more recent.

7. veato

veato I should be working

How is it 4 year old PC spec? The AMD "Jaguar" architecture is yet to be released in the mainstream by AMD and the 8GB GDDR5 and GPU specs certainly aren't 4 years old.

8. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

More than likely true. But you can bet your bottom dollar that the likes of EA, Activision and any other publisher will do their best. Think single use activation codes with all games, so even if you buy a used disc, you still have to buy a new activation code. In fact, that's already the case for most online multiplayer games. I see the Publisher as the true evil in this arrangement we have.

9. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

Not bothered about the sharing functionality. At all.

BUT, buffering of the last (unknown number of) minutes of gameplay which at the touch of a button can be hardware encoded in the background while you're still playing? As a Battlefield gamer first and foremost, this is good news, since DICE didn't see fit to treat us to Battlerecorder.

10. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

It's pretty good all in all really. The 8GB GDDR5 being the highlight , it was rumoured to have 4GB but devs like Crytek were demanding 8 [ if you believe the reports] and they got it. The PS4 OS has a very small footprint too , so that memory should be available . The GPU could be better, but remember the target isn't 2560x1440 PC monitors, or tri-monitor setups, it's a home TV at 1080p or 720p @ 60/30fps. As for the games they previewed, it's clearly a major step up .

The key thing though is that the architecture is very PC friendly, ports with a few extra quality notches could look incredible.

11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

8GB - I wonder if this means the PS4 will be 4k ready?

12. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Why do you think there is going to be DX11 games? You know that it's most likely going to be OpenGL type instead right? They aren't just giving you a PC here in disguise as much as the design has converged in your eyes.

In a way it is further from the PC than before what with the new memory architecture. It's just that x86 has got you all excited.

The fact being thought that it is going help linux, and dare I say it, mac gaming more than windows gaming I'd imagine.

So I'm not sure what you've waited 10 years for. You had a PC all this time surely? And there was no law about owning one platform was there?

13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I thought it was supposed to be, thought I imagine it would be a similar state to 1080p gaming on current consoles, wonder if Sony have a scaler this time around?

14. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

No way is it going to run at 4K, the GPU will be able to run 1080p at 60fps, which is still a massive step up from 720p (or 560p in Cod's case) at 30fps.

15. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

8Gb is total memory available, yes? Then I doubt it.

I know it's not apples to apples, but that's like expecting a modern PC with a 2GB GPU and 6GB RAM to run 4K.

Guest-44432 likes this.
  16. rollo

rollo Modder

Yep 1080p 60fps with some eye candy turned on most likely.

You will get the odd game that looks awesome in a few years after release.

There is no Api overhead on consoles, they are all coded to hardware so its not going to help or hinder development of pc games.

Developers on the pc side have seen games like wow and Diablo 3 sell millions of copy's by catering the lowest commen denominator.

There is less than 10 64bit exe games less than half of them come with it as standard.

32bit games will be the norm till windows 64bit becomes the default OS which we are still 3-4 years away from as xp still has half the market.

17. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

That was never the intention though, was it? The intention was to offer 4k support for movies, which is possible. It'll probably take Maxwell to drive that many pixels at a playable framerate in a game, as even the best current PC cards can only do it at meagre frame rates on high settings.

9.66% running XP in latest Steam HW (Jan 2013) survey . 64 bit users above 65% and over 50% have 4GB or greater system ram . They will probably start releasing with the 64bit exe now. They'll probably have to if the PC games aren't to look worse than the console versions.

18. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

It will catch up with a mid-range PC for about 40 seconds and then start lagging behind as every other non-upgradeable console has and will do until the end of time.

19. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

Not getting one, even if it were for free (no kidding).

20. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Pretty much, with the hardware it got it will be able to keep up to sometime around 2015-2016, then we either get PS5 or the "bad console ports" argument over again. Unfortunately, PS4 will be with us until 2018-2019.

Tags: Add Tags