1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Odd power issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by popcornuk1983, 1 Mar 2013.

1. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

Hello again.

Upgraded my CPU/MB/RAM a couple of days ago (See sig below).

Having a really odd issue with booting the system up. If the power to the PSU is off then I turn it on and press the power button on the PC it boots fine. PC is stable (Ran prime 95 and video encoding software for 1hour solid). If I reboot it's also fine.

Problem is when I shut down and everything goes off, I press the power button again and the system will not come on. There's still power to the board as the small LED's are still glowing on my graphics card. It's not until I switch my PSU off, leave it for a min then switch it on and press the power button does the system boot.

Any suggestions?

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Not that any of the following should really make that kind of difference but worth a shot:

Is the temperature in the room your PC is in particularly strange? (either hot or cold)
    Are all the wires connected well? (i.e. not half pushed in - even things like case power switch)
    Is the kettle lead to the PSU in firmly?
    Have you tried different kettle leads?

popcornuk1983 likes this.
  3. popcornuk1983

I've tried all but the power switch connector. Will check when I get home. Could it be something as simple as having the +/- round the wrong way for the power switch?

Swapped the kettle lead, tried kettle lead direct into wall socket instead of my surge protector, normal room temps, windows are generally closed and the PC isn't near the radiator.

4. GeorgeK

Bizarre - I don't think it could be that it's the wrong way round because, as I understand it, the switch simply completes the circuit...

I'll keep thinking but I've not had this happen before - hopefully someone will come along with more ideas... You don't have another power supply you could try do you?

5. popcornuk1983

Cheers for the suggestions. I'm fixing a PC for a friend just now so might "borrow" his PSU to test it out :p

6. GeorgeK

lol - might well be worth it!

7. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

This mobo had a lot of cold boot problems. I have come across it or heard about it several times. Might be RMA time.

Edit: some times its worth fitting a new CMOS battery.

8. popcornuk1983

Balls........................

Going swap the PSU then try a different CMOS battery. See if I have any luck. Will also try looking for a new BIOS version when the PC is on.

9. popcornuk1983

OK, So all seems to be well now. No idea what it was. Swapped the battery and flashed the latest BIOS. Hopefully it sticks.