1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Would you buy a 680 or a 7970?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shirty, 27 Feb 2013.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Well you say that you couldn't sell it on here because you are 'worried about gaining a bad name for yourself' and 'the card being a bit dicky' but then in the same post say there was 'nothing wrong with the card at all'.

So, which one is it?

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'd hazard a guess that a little TIM TLC would have brought that 670 under control.

3. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Well I picked up a 7970 last week and whilst it gets very good performance I do regret not paying a few extra quid and going for the GTX680. Mainly because after using it, I like Nvidia's control centre and drivers much more than the AMD equivalent.

Can't return it because I've opened and used it unfortunately but it'll keep me going until the 700 series of Nvidia cards come out

4. Shirty

What beef do people have with CCC? Stop sniggering back there, I'm being serious! I can ping from Red to Green and back again without any issues at all.

I suppose perhaps I'm just not hardcore enough, but I try to spend as little time possible in the control centre and as much as possible gaming - the perils of not having much free time :hehe:

5. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

I'm just not a huge fan of it generally, in particular I think it looks horrible and isn't very usable but it's only a minor niggle

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I agree, its absolutely fine, and has never caused me any probs. :D

7. Shirty

Glad I'm not the only one :thumb:

8. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I've no gripes with it either - it's done me fine for years now (I haven't had a Green graphics card since 2010). It's perfectly functional (if a little clunky) but it gets the job done, and I'm with Shirty. Not much gaming time comparatively, so I seldom mess about in CCC.

Plus, it made bitstream audio on my HTPC a breeze...

9. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I prefer CCC over nvidia control panel, but only as i have been buying only AMD/ATI cards for the last 10 years. Ever since I bought a Geforce MX series card and finding out I couldn't play most games with it as it was MX (namely, i couldn't play prince of persia sands of time - which I had bought with a special game pad, so you can imagine, i wanted to play this alot) and then I went and got an ATI 9200SE which played all games of the time alright. Only green cards I have had since then is a 9800gx2 which I used as a stop gap thing and found to be not very good, and some 9800gtx+ cards that I keep about as spare gpu's as I got them cheap.

So I would buy the 7970 :)

10. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Seconded (or thirded!? ), on CCC. I was concerned when I was making my first 'proper' graphics card purchase when I built my new PC last year. Having originally come from a time when ATi was in charge and their reputation was not the best I was worried that I might run into issues when I bought a 7850 .

This has not been the case. CCC has been no issue at all and infact made overclocking my card a breeze. I am sure that the green teams software is equally as good :)

Only time will tell for me though as I step into the world of crossfire later this week :worried:

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

No, you're not alone. I thought it was just another branch of the red/green divide - where people get so polarised they'll find fault with anything to do with the opposition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YEHBABY likes this.
  12. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Oh I know I'm nitpicking, I just prefer the Nvidia apps myself.

The card does do a brilliant job though

13. Xir

Xir Modder

Wellll, the VaporX coolers were the bees knees a couple of years back, and the arctic ones before that.
    (I think the VaporX then became reference for either nvidia or ati, but I'm not sure.)

Reference coolers have to be cheap and reliable, which usually means they're compromises.

That said, the current nvidia reference coolers seem to be doing fairly well

14. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

15. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Quick question to anyone else who has a 7970? Is it normal to spike to redic high GPU usage, like 97%, when idle / using chrome?

16. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Not in my experience. It just ticks over when idling.

17. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Depends if your using GPU Hardware accelerator?

18. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I hate the way CCC looks. Looks like it's a portal into the late 90s early 2000s.

19. rollo

rollo Modder

hardocp loves nvidia it would seem and this is comming from an nvidia fan.

They pick 5 games that are known nvidia fav for performance metrics. Would be nice to see what boosts happened in none nvidia fav titles.

20. AverageNinja

AverageNinja Almost an EpicNinja

Honestly I would get a 670. A 680 offers a 5% performance boost for $100. Not worth it IMO.